HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 4:47 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

The Provo Marina has some areas that are actual beaches, with sand meeting the water. There is also Lincoln Beach down at the very south end.

I too like the idea of a ferry, but the lake would need to be seriously dredged in order to accomodate a ferry for vehicles to use. Maybe the ideal situation is to have a people only ferry that takes people from Saratoga Springs to Vineyard and they can ride Front Runner from there. That could be a really nice mixed use development where the ferry comes to shore and brings people to Front Runner. The former Geneva site really has huge potential for addressing a lake community with plenty of public access along the water.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
The Provo Marina has some areas that are actual beaches, with sand meeting the water. There is also Lincoln Beach down at the very south end.

I too like the idea of a ferry, but the lake would need to be seriously dredged in order to accomodate a ferry for vehicles to use. Maybe the ideal situation is to have a people only ferry that takes people from Saratoga Springs to Vineyard and they can ride Front Runner from there. That could be a really nice mixed use development where the ferry comes to shore and brings people to Front Runner. The former Geneva site really has huge potential for addressing a lake community with plenty of public access along the water.
I think this is a great idea and could be quite the community all centered around the ferry, the front runner station, and the lake. I could definitely see a destination spot of outdoor shopping, restaurants etc. However, I don't know that anyone with that kind of money required to do all of this would agree....sigh....

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 5:28 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I will be honest, I wasn't entirely opposed to the idea of the RSL stadium being built in Vineyard, near the lake and near the future Front Runner stop. I think the timing was a bit off though, considering Front Runner isn't open yet. Obviously I wanted it downtown, but I think it could have been a huge catalyst for developing the former Geneva sight.

Oh well, maybe when SLC gets MLB baseball team with a stadium in the Grainery District that the Orem Owls could upgrade to anything above Pioneer league, maybe Double or Triple A, and a new stadium could be built in that area. We obviously know that Triple A ball parks don't spur development (See Franklin Quest/Cover/Spring Mobile) but it could be a nice piece of a larger development, including lake access, boat rentals, board walks, shops, housing and offices, as you said, all focused around the Ferry and Front Runner. Maybe get the D League team back in Utah County and build a small arena in the area also.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 10:45 PM

The Happy Valley lives up to its reputation by taking the #4 spot in the Gallup Well-Being Index this year. The Index is based on scores for life evaluation, emotional health, work environment, physical health, healthy behaviors, and access to basic necessities gathered from over 350,000 telephone surveys.

U.S. University Towns Score High in Wellbeing
http://www.gallup.com/poll/153095/Un...Wellbeing.aspx

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
I think this is a great idea and could be quite the community all centered around the ferry, the front runner station, and the lake. I could definitely see a destination spot of outdoor shopping, restaurants etc. However, I don't know that anyone with that kind of money required to do all of this would agree....sigh....
It's only a matter of time. That massive Lake's shoreline plopped down in the middle of any large metro would be worth billions. As Utah Valley's population continues to surge so also will the improvements and rec opportunities around Utah Lake. I envy some of those beautiful new homes around Saratoga Springs, that have their decks and views right on the Lake. The views of the Lake and the towering wall of the Wasatch are surreal. There are few if any metros in the U.S. that mimic those views fully. I am very excited about the recent, aggressive work being done these past few years to reverse and repair the damage done over the previous 100-plus years.

I don't think we're too far off when it will make sound financial sense to dredge major parts of the lake also. I've been told that there are areas where as much as 80 feet of silt have accumulated over the past century, because of certain agricultural and grazing practices.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 6:13 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

A note on the carp situation in Utah Lake. Carp were planted in Utah Lake during the depression as a inexpensive food source. The problem is they are very invasive species and they have pretty much taken over the lake. I am glad that they are making efforts to eliminate the carp from the lake. If I am not mistaken the plan is to remove the carp and convert them into food for farm animals. I believe I recall hearing that information while I still worked in Payson.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 6:52 PM

Quote:
I am glad that they are making efforts to eliminate the carp from the lake. If I am not mistaken the plan is to remove the carp and convert them into food for farm animals. I believe I recall hearing that information while I still worked in Payson.

That's what I've heard too--I think the article said they've removed 2 million tons of carp from Utah Lake already, several million tons still to go.

That's a lot of carp.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 10:18 PM
West bench livin'

You just HAD to go there, didn't you Jedikermit!? *snicker*

My grandmother from Lehi told me stories of her first husband fishing for the carp during the depression and lamenting that he was not much of a fisherman - so she had a fishing contest with him and won handily.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 7:18 PM

I was just checking to see how the Timpanogos Highway progress might be coming along in my old neighborhood. OOPs, looks like someone is in hot water. Imagine what could have happened if these same contractors had been awarded the I-15 Project, which they so aggressively bid on. Man, the rebar part of these incidents is unbelievable!

UDOT reports 'unprecedented' quality problems with Timpanogos Highway project

Emily Morgan, Deseret News

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...y-project.html

A view of State Route 92 (Timpanogos Highway) on Thursday, March 8, 2012. The project was scheduled to be finished in October. The contractor, Flatiron/Harper Joint Venture, is being fined $15,000 for each day past the deadline until completion of the project. UDOT said the $170 million project has experienced "unprecedented" difficulties, including cracks in the concrete and other quality issues. (Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News)

...Rodriguez said his greatest concern has been "ponding" adjacent to the highway that creates settlements underneath the road. Those settlements, in turn, can lead to broken concrete that can require replacement.

UDOT officials Thursday showed pictures of rebar intended to reinforce concrete panels, but which were placed only an inch deep and able to be removed by hand, Barnum said...

...Flatiron Constructors Inc. received a lot of publicity in 2010 after it lost the bid for the record $1.7 billion project to rebuild I-15 through Utah County by one point to Provo River Constructors. Provo River had donated $82,500 in campaign contributions to Gov. Gary Herbert.

Unbeknownst to lawmakers and the governor, UDOT Executive Director John Njord decided to pay a $13 million settlement to Flatiron after the company sent a number of letters protesting the award. The incident led to the passage of HB34, which requires the governor to sign off on all UDOT settlements of more than $100,000.

Utah Department of Transportation photos show different problems with the road work being done on state Route 92 in Utah County, including drains that have inadequate openings. (Utah Department of Transportation)

Utah Department of Transportation photos show the different problems with the road work being done on state Route 92 in Utah County. The rebar was only an inch deep and able to be removed by hand. (Utah Department of Transportation)

Utah Department of Transportation photos show different problems with the road work being done on state Route 92 in Utah County, including cracking in the concrete. (Utah Department of Transportation)

Utah Department of Transportation photos show different problems with the road work being done on state Route 92 in Utah County, including cracking in the concrete. (Utah Department of Transportation)

"Ponding" by the roadway with no drainage has been one of the problems disrupting construction on Route 92. (Utah Department of Transportation)

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 8:49 PM

Wow, that's horrible. Makes me almost scared to drive on that road.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 11:30 AM

I worked for a company that was part of that Flatiron team bidding on I-15 CORE. When we weren't awarded the project, I was laid off a couple months later. It still stings to read that the award process may have been tainted due to the contributions given to Gov. Herbert by the Provo River Contractors team.

That said, it seems like everything has gone smoothly so far for PRC on I-15. I am excited for it to be finished. I think the stretch from Pleasant Grove to Lehi will be done in a couple months.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 4:47 PM
Closed account

With reguards to "I-15" concerning the UC CORE project, from Lehi Main Street to PG Blvd. will be done in June sometime and the rest of it from PB Blvd. to 6800 South SF won't be done till December.

Sad that Timp. Highway has some major issues with it. I hope UDOT will get it fixed soon.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 5:09 PM
Wen Lambo

I've driven the Timp Highway a lot and I haven't seen any real visible issues with it other than the commuter lane hasn't opened yet.

It's actually a really nice upgrade for the area.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 11:40 AM

^^^
It will be a huge improvement for commuters traveling from Northeastern Utah Valley to Salt Lake etc. Glad to see that UDOT was staying on top of these particular contractors and their with quality issues.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 9:20 PM

Utah County ranks 4th in nation for job growth

An inidentified construction workers tends to girder supporters. (DON RYAN, AP)

By Jason Lee, Deseret News

PROVO — Utah County ranked No. 4 in the nation for the percentage of new jobs created over a 12-month period.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Thursday that from September 2010 to September 2011, employment increased in 271 of the 322 largest U.S. counties, including 4.5 percent in Utah's second largest county. Salt Lake County — which saw a 2.8 percent increase — ranked No. 48, while no other Utah county ranked among the top 200.

Topping the list was Williamson County, Tenn., posting the largest increase with a gain of 5.4 percent over the year, compared with national job growth of 1.6 percent. The report stated that within Williamson, the largest employment increase occurred in professional and business services, which gained 1,743 jobs over the year or 9.0 percent.

Conversely, Frederick County, Md., experienced the largest over-the-year decrease in employment among the largest counties in the U.S. with a loss of 2.6 percent.

Last edited by delts145; May 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 3:12 PM
Chairman

I live in Frederick County, MD. Now we are losing Bechtel's Power Division to Virginia which will additional jobs once they move.

Congrads to Utah County.

-sb

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 7:24 PM

Noticed yesterday that there is a crane being assembled in Spanish Fork, on the property that was recently excavated for Costco. I'm hoping this means that work will start soon. They finished all of the infill on the property back in January and they had to let it sit for a while, plus it had to pass compaction tests.
As a resident of S. F. I am excited for Costco to come. I'm tired of driving 10 miles to the North and seeing gas prices drop 15 cents a gallon. Nothing but price gauging, if you ask me.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 11:46 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek1978 View Post
Noticed yesterday that there is a crane being assembled in Spanish Fork, on the property that was recently excavated for Costco. I'm hoping this means that work will start soon. They finished all of the infill on the property back in January and they had to let it sit for a while, plus it had to pass compaction tests.
As a resident of S. F. I am excited for Costco to come. I'm tired of driving 10 miles to the North and seeing gas prices drop 15 cents a gallon. Nothing but price gauging, if you ask me.

Greedy big oil.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 4:12 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I think Adobe gets talked about in both this thread and the SLC MSA Thread, but I decided to put the information in here. Maybe somebody has already mentioned this but I couldn't remember.

It looks as if Adobe's long range plan is similar to those of most software/internet companies. The long range plan (from a local inside source) is that the campus in Lehi will eventually have five buildings. My source isn't sure if it will ever come to fruition, but they have the land and the plan, if neccesary.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 4:50 PM

Quote:
I will be honest, I wasn't entirely opposed to the idea of the RSL stadium being built in Vineyard, near the lake and near the future Front Runner stop. I think the timing was a bit off though, considering Front Runner isn't open yet. Obviously I wanted it downtown, but I think it could have been a huge catalyst for developing the former Geneva sight.

Oh well, maybe when SLC gets MLB baseball team with a stadium in the Grainery District that the Orem Owls could upgrade to anything above Pioneer league, maybe Double or Triple A, and a new stadium could be built in that area. We obviously know that Triple A ball parks don't spur development (See Franklin Quest/Cover/Spring Mobile) but it could be a nice piece of a larger development, including lake access, boat rentals, board walks, shops, housing and offices, as you said, all focused around the Ferry and Front Runner. Maybe get the D League team back in Utah County and build a small arena in the area also.
Really? You would have been ok with Rio Tinto being in Vineyard? It would have been awful.
Even RSL thought it would been bad. They were bluffing on that one to get Salt Lake County to help them out. They wanted as close to Salt Lake as they could, yet property that was affordable. Plus their studies showed that people in Salt Lake County had and spent more money than Utah County people (like those that attend Jazz games). If Sandy hadn’t worked out then a push for the Fair Grounds was the next location.

The Orem Owls or the Ogden Raptors could possibly upgrade to a AA team, but it would be unlikely that they would be AAA teams if SL had a MLB Team. There are bigger markets that a AAA team would go to and not share the spot light with a major league team. I know Boise wants a AAA team and would be a likely location if SL gets a MLB Team….. in about 12-15 years, which would be great !

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West