HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
Is it 2024 or 2028 when this is supposed to be done. Thought they extended it to 2028.
I need to know which date to add five years to for realism.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Not sure, but given everything going on I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed it back.

I wonder what the odds of both Olympia and Angels getting built over the next few years is. Two ~850 foot buildings (plus the others in the complex) would be huge for LA.
I believe Angel's Landing has a solid chance of being built. Two years ago I saw an interview of the CEO of MacFarlane; Victor MacFarlane, about the project and he spoke of a possible downturn of the economy and that they would break ground a few years after the downturn. They have been preparing for some type of recession knowingly and I remember at first hearing him speak about this and was sad that it would "take so long" before they broke ground. Now it is seemingly that they have their finances in order and prepared for such events and want to be a catalyst for downtown by bieng under construction just as the economy is building back up having all of their entitlements and approvals already set and ready to go.

The dates I heard was groundbreaking in 2024 with completion in 2028

Last edited by hughfb3; Sep 16, 2020 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I need to know which date to add five years to for realism.
From reading their pr, seems like they definitely want this done by the Olympics. But they talk about it as if this will happen by 2024, but then Urbanize.la wrote in a post 2028, and he is on top of things, sooo

https://urbanize.la/post/dtlas-angel...t-loses-height

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 9:20 PM

Quote:
From reading their pr, seems like they definitely want this done by the Olympics. But they talk about it as if this will happen by 2024, but then Urbanize.la wrote in a post 2028, and he is on top of things, sooo

https://urbanize.la/post/dtlas-angel...t-loses-height
I vaguely recall a question being asked about timeline when it was awarded and whether or not the timeline could potentially be accelerated. My recollection is that MacFarlane literally laughed and suggested that he hoped that it would stay on schedule. I may be off slightly but it was something like that.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:54 AM

I like the project. I just find it weird how its right next door to 2 other sets of semi twins with Cal Plaza and Wells Fargo center (if its still called that). What's up with the infatuation of semi twins in this freaking city.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 3:57 AM

I believe one of the devlprs of angel's landing is also part owner of the park fifth proj at 5th St & Olive st. I can tell their leasing of that apt tower has slowed to a crawl since the start of the yr....so no telling how current trends are going to affect builders, investors and funders in the long run.

But I was reading about a huge new tower that opened in the past few days in NYC. The article made it sound like the devlpr in a Covid era New York was in hot water. But it also said he had managed to book up something like 70% of the bldg's space. When I saw that, I said, ya gotta be kidding me....that would be considered a big success by dtla standards.

So who knows what will happen from here on out? I also just read that 60% of businesses listed on yelp are now permanently closed. Not sure how that compares with the great depression in the 1930s. But I'd be surprised if things were much worse over 80 yrs ago.

It would be ironic if the swapmeets on broadway....which I've long wanted to see fade away....were small businesses that somehow manage to hang on. If so, what's that saying? God has a sense of humor?

however, some sunlight is poking through the clouds....this is two blocks from LA city hall....

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
I believe Angel's Landing has a solid chance of being built. Two years ago I saw an interview of the CEO of MacFarlane; Victor MacFarlane, about the project and he spoke of a possible downturn of the economy and that they would break ground a few years after the downturn. They have been preparing for some type of recession knowingly and I remember at first hearing him speak about this and was sad that it would "take so long" before they broke ground. Now it is seemingly that they have their finances in order and prepared for such events and want to be a catalyst for downtown by bieng under construction just as the economy is building back up having all of their entitlements and approvals already set and ready to go.

The dates I heard was groundbreaking in 2024 with completion in 2028
It makes sense to have it built by the Olympics, preferably a year or two before. The best time to start these projects is during recessions, so they are likely to be finished in the next boom. L.A. should be booming again in a few years once past covid. 100 years ago we had a pandemic and a postwar recession after WWI. Projects started then were completed by the boom of the Roaring Twenties.

Last edited by CaliNative; Sep 17, 2020 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I vaguely recall a question being asked about timeline when it was awarded and whether or not the timeline could potentially be accelerated. My recollection is that MacFarlane literally laughed and suggested that he hoped that it would stay on schedule. I may be off slightly but it was something like that.
I asked their social media account if they were planning to be open by 2024, and they said that was the plan.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 2:39 PM

Quote:
I asked their social media account if they were planning to be open by 2024, and they said that was the plan.
Nice! Thank you.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 4:16 PM

these vids & survey of ppl in the top urban area of america (NYC) all go together.

Not sure if a new apt proj going up around mcarthur pk/lafayette pk is stretching the boundaries of dt...I at first thought I was looking at something on Fig around Staples....but the matter of quality of life in dtla & all major cities, including nyc, brings to mind the question....if nyc catches a cold, how will other cities....how will dtla....be affected? Will other cities end up with pneumonia?

Video Link

Quote:
A substantial share of New York City residents earning more than $100,000 are working from home, have considered leaving the city, and show dissatisfaction with the city’s cost of living, according to a new poll commissioned by the Manhattan Institute (MI).

The survey of 782 New York City adults—conducted by the Siena College Research Institute by telephone between July 13–August 3, 2020—finds that 53 percent of high-earning New Yorkers are working entirely from home and that 44 percent of high-earning New Yorkers have considered leaving the city in the past four months, with a majority citing the cost of living as a reason to leave.

Residents who earn $100,000 or more make up 80 percent of New York City’s income-tax revenue, making the city especially vulnerable to tax-base erosion. With that in mind, the MI/Siena survey finds that 37 percent of those residents say it is at least somewhat likely that they will not be living in the city within the next two years—and 38 percent believe the city is headed in the wrong direction (compared with 53 percent who believe it is on the right track).

Even before covid, there were various ppl living or working in dt complaining about too much homelessness & litter all over the place...it apparently has grown worse.

this shows the sidewalks very near the new bldg going up above....I know skid row has long been a black hole for dtla, but is the lafayette pk area worse or better than various sections nearer to dtla? 2:03 shows the area around the new tower above....

Video Link

this isn't OT since the condition of the city will very much affect the amt of devlpt over the next 10 yrs....devlprs & their customers or clients will be tuned into how the city's quality of life is going. I'd be surprised if that doesn't also include the owners of the angel's landing proj.....beyond that, how will the small food businesses located in the grand central mkt across the street from the angel's landing site end up?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 4:39 PM

Do you sometimes forget that you already posted something, so you post the same thing over and over again like a broken record?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Is it weird that this is the best looking render of the Grand that I've seen? Doesn't look half bad from this angle.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 5:15 PM

Quote:
OPEN by 2024? No. That's not happening. Maybe GROUNDBREAKING by 2024.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 8:06 PM

What do you all think of the revised Morrison Hotel design?

At first I found it to be a downgrade, especially with the loss of the more organic lowrise element, and the overall push toward minimalism. However the more I think about it the more I like it, it does a good job referencing the midcentury and art deco history of LA while also playing excellently off of the proposed Crescent Heights and Crown Group buildings. I also think that the courtyard in the front, while not looking near as cool as the original frontage, will have a much better pedestrian experience.

Also, it is the first SHoP project in LA! So it is basically guaranteed that the materials used will be of very high quality?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
OPEN by 2024? No. That's not happening. Maybe GROUNDBREAKING by 2024.
That's what they wrote and it's on their website stating 2024.

"Luxury hotel venues, spacious condominiums and apartments featuring panoramic views and a terraced, ground-level, open-air public plaza that will soon become “downtown’s divine destination experience” are all in store when Angels Landing’s duo-towered development rises exquisitely above Bunker Hill in 2024."

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 9:24 PM

Morrison Hotel

I think it looks good.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Is it weird that this is the best looking render of the Grand that I've seen? Doesn't look half bad from this angle.
Given the elevation it’s much less stumpy looking from this angle.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 11:20 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I like the new Morrison Hotel proposal, and am thrilled to finally have a SHoP design in LA.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 12:31 AM

All i can look at in the the rendering for the Morrison Hotel is all of the low density and low rise buildings in the back ground. I've driven in that area a lot and the store fronts may be open but a lot are closed and need to be torn down. Truly need to be torn down. No "it was built in 1908 and should be saved". NO. those buildings have been gutted, tear them all down. We need housing and along the 10 is a perfect area.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 2:38 PM

How did the earthquake last night feel in your area? I could feel it approaching very mildly for a few seconds, like a spooky warning. Then suddenly there was a big bang, and for about ten seconds violent shaking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations