HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 9:03 PM

I took these earlier today.

The new Drury (I-10 @ 1604)

One of the Medical Center building's under construction!

It makes a nice difference in the skyline (crappy spot)!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
All that glass sure would have looked good downtown....
HDRC doesn't allow any mirrored glass as primary building material and requires 75% masonry with a 3-tier/level building(1.defined base,2. body, 3. crown)
just fyi.
The height would be great though, it would add to the mid-rise density we have going.
Believe me, I would love to have the height of the Omni, KCI tower, Jefferson Bank building, and SWBC all downtown.

Quote:
(e) Facade Composition in "RIO-3". Traditionally, many commercial and multi-family buildings in the core of San
Antonio have had facade designs that are organized into three (3) distinct segments: First, a "base" exists, which
establishes a scale at the street level; second a "mid-section", or shaft is used, which may include several floors.
Finally a "cap" finishes the composition. The cap may take the form of an ornamental roof form or decorative
molding and may also include the top floors of the building. This organization helps to give a sense of scale to a building and its use should be encouraged.
(d) Materials and Finishes in "RIO-3". Masonry materials are well established as primary features along the river corridor and their use should be continued. Stucco that is detailed to provide a texture and pattern, which conveys
a human scale, is also part of the tradition. In general, materials and finishes that provide a sense of human scale, reduce the perceived mass of a building and appear to blend with the natural setting of the river should be used,
especially on major structures.
(1) Use indigenous materials and traditional building materials for primary wall surfaces. A minimum of seventyfive
(75) percent of walls visible from the public way (excluding window fenestrations) shall be composed of the
following:
A. Modular masonry materials including brick, stone, and rusticated masonry block, tile, terra-cotta and cast
stone.
B. Other new materials such as EIFS that convey the texture, scale, and finish similar to modular masonry
materials.
C. Stucco and painted concrete when detailed to express visual interest and convey a sense of scale.
D. Painted or stained wood in a lap or shingle pattern.
(2) The following materials are not permitted as primary building materials and may be used as a secondary
material only:

A. Large expanses of high gloss or shiny metal panels.
B. Mirror glass panels.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Dec 2, 2008 at 1:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 10:11 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Though some glass might be nice, I think it might clash horribly with the masonry buildings. I mean, look at One Riverwalk Place I think it is (the stubby black glass box). I think it looks horrible in its surroundings.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 10:59 PM

If you've been building one style and one look all these years, you might as well stick with it. Luckily, the 281 and I-10 corridors have nearly enough glass to make you think you're in a post-1950s city

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
If you've been building one style and one look all these years, you might as well stick with it. Luckily, the 281 and I-10 corridors have nearly enough glass to make you think you're in a post-1950s city
Don't forget about the medical center and their futuristic plans!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 12:13 AM

^^^ Sorry, I was including the Med Cent in the I-10 corridor.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Though some glass might be nice, I think it might clash horribly with the masonry buildings. I mean, look at One Riverwalk Place I think it is (the stubby black glass box). I think it looks horrible in its surroundings.
Someone tried slipping this one past the HDRC in the recent meeting.
p. 84 of 256/ the "cabins" on the river near la cascada.

nice try guys
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Someone tried slipping this one past the HDRC in the recent meeting.
p. 84 of 256/ the "cabins" on the river near la cascada.

nice try guys
Did it get past?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Staff does not recommend approval of the new office building as proposed. The proposed structure is not consistent with the RIO-3 Design Guidelines particularly as it relates to design, scale, façade composition, massing, and materials.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
It seems like they might have not cared to much since it was going to be pretty short but clearly they did.

Does anyone know how you get on this "panel"

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 5:36 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryneone View Post
Does anyone know how you get on this "panel"
Be terrible at what you do?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 5:43 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Air Force Village is gearing up for a $145 million, five-year renovation and expansion that will add more than 250 new residences, retail shops, a theater and multiple dining venues.

The nonprofit Air Force Village Inc., which owns the community, hopes the town center format that mixes retail and housing with larger floor plans will allow it to attract a younger group of military retirees and their spouses.

The retirement community dates to 1970, when Air Force Village I was opened off Loop 410 near Lackland AFB to provide affordable housing and discounted medical care to widows of military officers. The more spacious Air Force Village II was added in 1987 on 660 acres off U.S. 90 West outside Loop 1604. Today, about 1,300 retired military officers, spouses and widows lease homes in the two locations.

Both Air Force Village I and II will benefit from the renovation.

Starting next year, Air Force Village I will be remodeled to include a town center that has a bistro, a coffee shop, an art gallery and spas. A multipurpose room on the 16th floor of the high-rise building will become a cocktail lounge and dining room.

The existing cottages will be replaced by groupings of 12 to 14 apartments in three- and four-story buildings. In 2010, plans call for construction to begin on a new health care center that will have single-person suites grouped around common living areas to replace the existing nursing home.

Air Force Village II will get a new health care center, upscale dining facility and 75 new ranch houses ranging between 1,400 and 2,200 square feet. In 2011 or 2012, a new mixed-use town center featuring apartments and retail — including restaurants, a spa and a theater — will be added.

For the new units, residents will pay a one-time residency fee ranging between $100,000 and $345,000, a 17 percent to 33 percent increase above current rates. They also will pay an additional monthly fee ranging between $1,600 and $4,100. In exchange, they can live in the homes maintenance-free and receive discounted medical services for life. Residents also receive free housekeeping, electric and water utilities as well as social programs.

Historically, the community has appealed to people who want guaranteed housing without the hassles of home repairs and a way to limit medical expenses as they aged.

Retired Lt. Col. David McBride, 74, and wife, Leonora, 71, are typical of many residents. They sold their condo in Bradenton, Fla., and moved into a two-bedroom townhouse in Air Force Village II last year to ensure they would have a home and people to interact with as they aged, without imposing on their children.

“This is kind of like going back into the military in a way,” David McBride said. “For people who have been in the military a long time, it becomes like a family where everybody looks out for everybody.

“The primary thing I was thinking about in choosing Air Force Village was my wife, and that men tend to predecease their wives. I didn't want her to be alone. (Air Force Village) provides me with peace of mind that she is among friends and won't be isolated.”

The renovations and expansion are designed to address retirees' requests for more varied social and living arrangements. The communities now offer fitness classes, a woodworking shop, a library, religious programs and computer classes. But dining in both communities is limited to set hours in just two dining rooms. Residents also must leave the communities to shop.

“New consumers are demanding more flexible living options,” said Keith Evans, the community's vice president of marketing and public relations. “Now we have dining rooms with set hours; but with the town centers, residents will be able to dine in different settings at different times.”

The developer hopes the larger ranch houses at Air Force Village II will appeal to residents who want to live in a community of people with similar military backgrounds without having to give up treasured household possessions. Current housing floor plans are less than 1,800 square feet.

“Many of the people we talk to now have 3,000-square-foot homes and can't see how they would downsize that much,” said Leslie Cisneros, the marketing counselor. “We have people who have expressed an interest in Air Force Village, but are not ready to make that move. We hope the new larger residences will help them make the jump.”

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 2:15 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:

HDRC doesn't allow any mirrored glass as primary building material and requires 75% masonry with a 3-tier/level building(1.defined base,2. body, 3. crown)
just fyi.
The height would be great though, it would add to the mid-rise density we have going.
Believe me, I would love to have the height of the Omni, KCI tower, Jefferson Bank building, and SWBC all downtown.
Those are just the RIO guidelines, right? Something could be built away from the river (say on the south side of Hemsfair) and be an all-glass facade...

Right?

Also, nice pics Ryneone... I noticed your name several hundred times while searching through city-data for something... Glad to have you here. The forum is already better because of you...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 3:09 PM

Since 2001, Lavaca has been an histroric district. However, I think, if I read the minutes correctly, that the Victroria Courts area is not part of the district. I don't think anything there has to go through HDRC for approval, but it does have to meet its urban design approval.
Found this in the guidelines:
(e) Relationship of Solids to Voids
In order to ensure that the relationship of solid spaces (i.e., walls) to voids (i.e., windows/doors) in the front facade of a building or structure shall be visually compatible with buildings, structures, public ways in the environment surrounding the building, the following criteria shall apply:
(1) The horizontal elements of new buildings, including window sills, moldings and midblock cornices, shall align with similar elements on adjoining buildings.
(2)Windows shall maintain a similar proportion of width to height as windows on surrounding buildings. Elements of adjoining buildings or windows shall be considered“similar” if they vary not more than three (3) feet in the vertical direction.
(f)Relationship of Materials, Texture, and Color
The relationship of materials, texture and color of the facade of a building or structure shall conform to the predominant materials used in existing buildings or structures on the same block.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 4:48 PM

I know it hasn't been mentioned much, but what do you guys think will become of the area on the "East" now that alot of the rail traffic will be going to the new UP Intermodal Facility starting Dec. 15th?
On similar note, my hometown paper (Karnes City, I know that sucks) ran a story this week of the San Antonio Aransas Pass Railroad.
It started with this:
Quote:
David Brown, president and CEO of San Antonio Aransas Pass Railroad, gave a presentation to the city council of Karnes City at their November 25 meeting concerning his plans to revive freight operations on the defunct railway. Brown hopes to reactivate the San Antonio/Aransas Pass railroad in 2009.
and mentioned this:
Quote:
Some potential exists for commuter or tourism railroad
Here is the link to the article.
Found it interesting that they would consider laying new track down; I don't remember when, but the track, overpasses, and bridges have been removed a little south of Elmendorf all the way to Beeville.
Also found this pretty funny since another story this week is about the neighboring town regrading a street with tracks on it and removing the old tracks.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 5:36 PM

S.A. loses bid, Government recommends Kansas for biodefense lab

from AP:
Quote:
Dec 3, 11:17 AM EST
Agency official revealed their decision to several lawmakers late Tuesday, according to lawmakers and staff familiar with the briefings. The officials spoke only on condition of anonymity because a formal announcement won't be made until later this week, when the agency releases an environmental impact statement.

The choice won't become final until sometime after a 30-day window period for comments on the decision, which could face legal challenges from losing states.

The new lab would replace an aging 24-acre research complex on Plum Island, about four miles off the eastern shore of Long Island, N.Y. Foot-and-mouth research has been confined to the island since 1955 to avoid an accidental outbreak that could lead to the slaughter of millions of livestock. The disease does not sicken humans.

The lab is expected to generate about 1,500 construction jobs and a permanent payroll of $25 million to $30 million for more than 300 employees once the project is completed by 2015

Other finalist sites were Flora, Miss.; Athens, Ga.; Butner, N.C.; and San Antonio.
Oh well. No Biodefense Lab, no veterinary program at UIW.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 12:47 AM

The vet school is the big loss. The lab is not really the type of expansion I want for San Antonio.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 12:45 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Wasn't quite sure where to put these pics of UIW xmas lights.:

(courtesy mysa nest fest blog: http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...weet_view.html)

My favorite

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 5:40 PM

Landmark?

Saw that last week permits were granted in valuation of over $18 mil for Multi-family housing and Garages.
Not sure if it is supposed to be Landmark but I knew that it was supposed to be La Joya at one point.

either way, the permits were granted for 16631 Vance Jackson which should put them at the SE quadrant of 1604/10.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 9:55 PM

Those pictures of the lights at Incarnate Word, were taken from the AT&T building and The Broadway, I wonder how they got permission to go to both locations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio