HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 2:46 PM

LAN to resume Los Angeles-Santiago service

LAN to resume Los Angeles-Santiago service

By Robert Silk
Travel Weekly
Feb. 4, 2016

"Los Angeles International Airport will gain a South American route later this year while Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport will lose one.

LAN Airlines will resume direct service between Santiago, Chile, and Los Angeles on Oct. 16. The flight will be offered three times per week, with LA departures on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays and Santiago departures on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

LAN previously flew the route but discontinued it in February 2014, according to the website Airline Route. The service’s newest incarnation is scheduled to last until March 25, 2017..."

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...ntiago-service

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 4:39 AM

vintage.johnnyjet.com

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 6:47 PM

new details of LAX people mover http://la.curbed.com/archives/2016/0...t_lax.php#more

starting construction 2017-2023

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 11:04 PM

T4 to TBIT air side connector opened today.

You can see photos of it from people using it on Twitter and other social media. HUGE day for LAX and American Airlines in particular. The entire south side LAX terminal complex is now connected behind security to TBIT.

The walk form T4 security to OneWorld lounge is reportedly just under 4 minutes.

This one is from LAX's facebook feed

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 2:16 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ That'll do for now, I guess. But the long-term vision should be to implement an airside people mover system that would allow travelers to transfer to other terminals without having to go through security screening.

I flew out of SeaTac Airport a few days ago. Their people mover stations are spaced roughly 750 feet apart, which is about the same distance between LAX's TBIT and the planned MSC. So while a pedestrian tunnel would certainly suffice, it wouldn't be the most convenient option possible.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 7:08 AM

Wow!! Looks great!! Thank you so much. Thanks for sharing. That way you don't have go back at security again. You will stay in the sterile area. You don't have worried about a long lines at security anymore.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:00 AM
ride or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
^ That'll do for now, I guess. But the long-term vision should be to implement an airside people mover system that would allow travelers to transfer to other terminals without having to go through security screening.

I flew out of SeaTac Airport a few days ago. Their people mover stations are spaced roughly 750 feet apart, which is about the same distance between LAX's TBIT and the planned MSC. So while a pedestrian tunnel would certainly suffice, it wouldn't be the most convenient option possible.

Agreed. They need an airside people mover and a larger airside concourse. Which terminals do this new connector link up via the airside end?

LAX desperately needs an airside connection to ALL terminals. It's ridiculous that ANY travelers are required to exit and go through security again just to transfer. It doesn't matter how much nicer LAX looks aesthetically if it remains a shitty airport logistically. Airports are logistical hubs. If an airport fails at logistics, then it fails at being an airport. Doesn't matter how much lipstick you use on that pig.

And while I want to say that the newly revamped terminal 2 looks nice, (it certainly is an improvement) I can't help but feel "gimmicked" by its overly designed, overly fenestrated, overly lit-up staircase. It's just an effin' staircase people. The fact that the above promotional clip keeps panning to that staircase proves how lame these remodels have been. Take that staircase away and Terminal 2 looks like a repainted version of the 70's era Terminal that it still is. Some people are too easily fooled by gimmicks.

Sorry if I seem bitter that LAX is merely being updated to mere adequacy. But I keep getting the underwhelmed feeling every time I'm supposed to be impressed by a big reveal. LAX is so crappy and outdated that merely bringing it up to date is supposed to be a godsend. Meanwhile, I have traveled many places and seen the worlds great airports. I've noticed that most of the best ones don't have overly-reverential and overly-glamourized staircases LOL

Last edited by Bikemike; Feb 26, 2016 at 8:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 7:36 PM

Quote:

I'm fine with tunnels with moving sidewalk between TBIT and MSC. Air side peoplemover won't work very well at LAX because the concourse layout and the horseshoe. Where do you put the peoplemover station at T4 or T5 for example? It will require taking away a lot of gates and any aerial structure will limit aircraft movements.

LAX just need a frequent and regularly scheduled air side bus service, which is what will happen once the TBIT-T4 bus depot opens on the lower level of connector building (think the "LAX A" shuttle but on air side). There will be regular buses going from TBIT-T4 to Eagle nest, T5, T6, T7, and probably T2 and T3 to facilitate air side transfer.

Once T3 is reconstructed, everything except T1 will be connected air side.
  • T2 to/from T3 - just walk
  • T2/3 to/from TBIT - just walk
  • T4/5 to/from TBIT - just walk
  • T6/7 to/from T4/T5 - just walk
  • T6/7 to/from TBIT - either walk or take the air side bus
  • South side to/from North side - take the air side bus
  • T1 to anywhere - learn a valuable lesson about flying Southwest and self-connecting...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 7:43 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ It would all be underground. Bus service? You can't be serious. Reality check: LAX is the fifth busiest airport in the world. This whole notion of 'Oh, that'll do' and settling for the bare minimum needs to stop. We need to stop applying bandages to deep wounds, suck it up, and go to the ER.

This is more or less what I propose for an airside people mover system:

I can't imagine if (let alone when) something like that will be built. Most airports only have either a landside or airside train system, but LAX is too big and important to not have both.

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Feb 26, 2016 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:19 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

What I will say is that I'm glad that we finally have a concrete schedule for the planned people mover, even though 2023 is still seven years away. Having a real plan makes a huge difference.

And I like the plan itself. The CONRAC, hotels, and parking structures are all extensions of the airport, so naturally it makes sense to build this people mover (automated, more frequent, free of charge) instead of bringing Metro Rail (subject to delays, less frequent, need to pay a fare) to the CTA. It won't be comparable at all to the configuration at JFK where the AirTrain must travel three miles to get to Jamaica Station. All those shuttle buses for rental cars, hotels, and off-site parking will no longer have to circulate the CTA, but rather drop off/pick up travelers at the CONRAC and ITFs. That also means quicker and more frequent FlyAway service.

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Feb 26, 2016 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 3:18 AM

Any chance that the feds will give/loan LAX funds to get these upgrades done quicker if we are awarded the Olympics ?

I swear some things, mostly our infrastructure issues, progress like molasses in this city or is it just me ?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 1:50 AM

Quote:
^ It would all be underground. Bus service? You can't be serious. Reality check: LAX is the fifth busiest airport in the world. This whole notion of 'Oh, that'll do' and settling for the bare minimum needs to stop. We need to stop applying bandages to deep wounds, suck it up, and go to the ER.

This is more or less what I propose for an airside people mover system:

I can't imagine if (let alone when) something like that will be built. Most airports only have either a landside or airside train system, but LAX is too big and important to not have both.
Underground APM? Surely you are kidding. We are not going to spend $1 billion to build an underground train that will not be used all that much.

Very few people connect at LAX and the ones that do rarely requires North to South transfer and vice versa. The vast majority of connections at LAX are (1) domestic to Hawaii and (2) domestic to Asia. The first group never leaves the terminal, and the second group may require transfers to TBIT from T3, T4, T5, or T7. An air side APM will be largely useless for the vast majority of LAX passengers. This is unlike landside APM, which will see plenty of use by all passengers.

Air side bus transfers are fairly standard in overseas airports where they operate separate but closely spaced concourse buildings. If you don't want to walk, take the bus. It generally works pretty good. The terminal concourse at LAX are all very close together so I can't imagine anyone want to walk to the air side APM station to go from T7 to T5 for example... by the time you walk to the T7 air side APM station, you would be half way to T6; and you may have to back track from the T5 station to reach the gate you want to go to. Why would you bother with the APM at that point? Air side APM sounds like a good idea until you start looking at typical passenger movements at LAX... then it makes no sense.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I swear some things, mostly our infrastructure issues, progress like molasses in this city or is it just me ?
It's not a question of whether that is the case anymore. It is simply entered the realm of plain fact. That more people aren't expressing their outrage over this defies belief.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Any chance that the feds will give/loan LAX funds to get these upgrades done quicker if we are awarded the Olympics ?

Garcetti said yesterday in the LA Times' The Road Ahead conference that the LAX APM and 96th St station would be ready by 2021.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 12:11 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
Underground APM? Surely you are kidding. We are not going to spend $1 billion to build an underground train that will not be used all that much.
LAWA should consider such an investment far into the future once the landside people mover is complete and all facilities/infrastructure modernized. It could be constructed in phases. If you build the Blue Line, then you've built nearly half the system already.

Ultimately, it's not an absolute necessity for the reasons you mentioned. It's standard procedure at other airports (i.e. JFK, SFO) to go through security again. At least the landside people mover will offer connecting passengers another option besides walking. I'm talking about travelers needing to get to the opposite end of the CTA. Who the hell wants to walk all the way from T8 to TBIT?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
It's not a question of whether that is the case anymore. It is simply entered the realm of plain fact. That more people aren't expressing their outrage over this defies belief.
I agree 100%. The sad thing is though, every time there is a ballot measure, most get beat to death by the opposing views or the ballot measure is Named/worded ridiculously.

Random example

"Vote YES on measure M3, Transit initiative"... People think they are voting YES for more transit but unknowingly are voting YES to BLOCK more transit.

I remember this being the issue a some years back with the gay marriage initiative and others that actually ended up failing because of peoples confusion on what they were voting for.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 7:42 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Terminal 1 renovation update:

Quote:

http://crankyflier.com/2016/02/16/a-...ning-thursday/

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 5:28 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Terminal 1 baggage claim:

Instagram/keller_logistics

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Wow, wow! It's so beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing and looks great! I haven't gone through at LAX T1 for over 10 years. Everything changes.

Now, can we see new TSA inline baggage screening system, new security checkpoints, and etc. Can you posts a pictures for me. I would like to see that.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 8:39 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Those are still under construction.

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation