HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 2:18 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Speaking of condos, and yall might know this already, but the two story buildings that are bordered by St. Mary's and Commerce, and run down to the Commerce st. bridge are going to be turned into condos
I'm thinking that this is the little building that si going to be a total of, like, 3 condos. I recall hearing that the asking price for one of the proposed units was going to be over $600,000.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 8:18 PM
The Space Pope

I count 12 floors too Kevin, but I think the last floor is not counted for particular reasons like sakyle04 said. Whatever the case they need to start on this project and soon! There is no indication whatsoever of demolition work in the Soloserve building's future....sadly there are still rental signs all over the decaying building.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 8:42 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Vidorra Construction Update

From the latest Vidorra email newsletter...

CONSTRUCTION UPDATE

Foundation work is getting underway. Over the next few weeks, we will see excavation of the sub-strata under the floor slab and the replacement of the dirt removed with low plasticity sand and gravel fill. Immediately thereafter, the contractor will begin to drill and place concrete piers to a depth of approximately 70 feet.

The next step will be to pour reinforced concrete pier caps on top of which the slab on grade will be poured. The construction crane will go up in June.

The Historic Design and Review Commission has given final approval to the Vidorra plans. The foundation permit has been approved and signed by the city. All other permits will follow during the course of construction.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 11:05 PM
<-- Tower of the Americas

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinggryphon View Post
Has anyone else heard these myriad rumors swirling around about a massive AT&T tower? I've heard three people just last month at my school UTSA, speaking to others about a huge building downtown coinciding with the new plans to develop the urban core during the 10 year roadmap to the city's 300th birthday. I don't wanna get my hopes up, but it's very odd that 3 strangers would mention this, none of whom were architecture majors.
This years AIA Convention is in SA, and I found this, and it's talking about developing the urban core:

"City Vision: Visions for the Growth of San Antonio’s Urban Core
In an era of urban sprawl and in a region with abundant and accessible land, how will San Antonio realize sustainable growth that reinforces its unique sense of place? For more than 300 years, the life of San Antonio has been inextricably connected to the San Antonio River but, like many contemporary American cities, San Antonio struggles to realize a vision for a vibrant residential urban core. In the tradition of Robert H. H. Hugman, the original architect of the famed River Walk, local architects have looked to the San Antonio River as a source for urban redevelopment. The display explains the evolution of the San Antonio River Walk from the original complex system of acequias to the urban renewal efforts of the 1920s through today. It draws upon individual efforts by AIA San Antonio members, currently funded city projects, and ongoing privately and publicly funded development projects. Through sketches, renderings, and models, this exhibit examines the city’s future by building upon its life blood: the San Antonio River."
http://www.aiaconvention.com/live/61...29484/CC772599

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 4:18 PM

The story of 600 N. St. Mary's

The Express-News has a long article today about the long vacant buildings in the 600 block of N. St Mary's between Martin and Convent:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met...e.3b584f3.html

The article doesn't inspire much hope that something is going to happen with those buildings any time soon.
I've heard the 10 story building there referred to as the Insurance Building. Does anyone know if that's correct?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 1:11 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
In 1999, an architectural student named Kyle Tostenson studied the site for his master's thesis and was given the keys to the buildings by Agrawal.

From the office tower, which was completely gutted on the inside, Tostenson found a stunning view of downtown. He saw strong demand in the market to restore the office building and the historic building near it.

As for the parking lot near the River Walk, Tostenson wrote: "I feel this part of the property is grossly underutilized."

Agrawal declined to discuss details about his future project. Records filed with city and county officials in the last several years show that at one point, he and Ed Beck, a property owner across the river, planned a mixed-use complex called Plazas Del Sol with two high-rise hotels. The plans called for the demolition of Agrawal's buildings.

Asked whether the project was still alive, Beck said it was no one's business.

"That's private property," Beck said. "That's not public property, stupid."

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 3:24 PM
Endless Moments...

You know i think its such a waste of space. I use to take the bus by there many years ago. There is so much pontential for that area. Another 35+ story office tower would go perfect. They really need to do something there.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 5:39 PM
what the?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post

You know i think its such a waste of space. I use to take the bus by there many years ago. There is so much pontential for that area. Another 35+ story office tower would go perfect. They really need to do something there.

is the picture in that article correct? where 35 splits up shouldnt that be I-10 going to the left and 35 to the right?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 8:35 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
is the picture in that article correct? where 35 splits up shouldnt that be I-10 going to the left and 35 to the right?
The picture is wrong. 35 heads NE and 10 heads NW.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 8:47 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
It is a total waste of space and it really hinders that area from taking off as a residential hotspot. The Exchange Building is close, as are those lush, 3-story Riverwalk condos.

The perfect plan would place a 35+ story office tower on the SE corner where the existing 10 story eyesore is and a 20-30 story hotel/condo tower on the riverfront, West side of the property (over the existing surface lot).

The office would get clustered with Weston Centre and BofA Tower and the hotel/condo tower would be the newest star right on the Riverwalk.

There is a great coffee shop (RutaMaya) on the opposite side of the river, Le Reve and Sandbar 1 block South, the cental library a couple of blocks north. There are major office towers nearby...

Why wouldn't they develop it?

The area is poised to boom... But until this eyesore is gone, no one is going to invest heavily. It just feels too sketchy.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 12:45 AM
<-- Tower of the Americas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
It is a total waste of space and it really hinders that area from taking off as a residential hotspot. The Exchange Building is close, as are those lush, 3-story Riverwalk condos.

The perfect plan would place a 35+ story office tower on the SE corner where the existing 10 story eyesore is and a 20-30 story hotel/condo tower on the riverfront, West side of the property (over the existing surface lot).

The office would get clustered with Weston Centre and BofA Tower and the hotel/condo tower would be the newest star right on the Riverwalk.

There is a great coffee shop (RutaMaya) on the opposite side of the river, Le Reve and Sandbar 1 block South, the cental library a couple of blocks north. There are major office towers nearby...

Why wouldn't they develop it?

The area is poised to boom... But until this eyesore is gone, no one is going to invest heavily. It just feels too sketchy.
Agreed

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 9:17 PM
Endless Moments...

Hi all here is a color rendering of the 20 story Broadway Condo. Also take a look at the site.

http://www.thebroadwaysanantonio.com/

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 12:29 AM
robert die katze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post
Hi all here is a color rendering of the 20 story Broadway Condo. Also take a look at the site.

http://www.thebroadwaysanantonio.com/

Ah, not bad. Although I'm not nuts about that blank white wall w/ the little windows on the side.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 12:40 AM
Meh

I actually really like this building. I'd be totally happy with it in Austin. I love that crown and the glass.

I've added this rendering to the building's list on the first page of this thread. The rendering isn't much different than the previous one, it just shows some more of the plaza/entry area. I also added the website to the page and I did the same at its page at Emporis.com.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 4:17 PM

BTW, what is the constructions going on right next to the old Alamo Nation Bank Building or what is now the Drury Inn? It looks like its about 12 stories high at this point. How high will it go?
Also I have heard it stated here that the Vidorra Towers will be outside downtown SA. What is considered downtown? Is the Alamodome outside downtown because its across IH37? The downtown area BTW is growing and not set by any bounderies. I see where there is bulldozing and digging going on as we speak at the Vidorra site. So maybe we will see some cranes in a matter of weeks.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 5:47 PM
James

Downtown is bordered by Durango on the South I-10 to the west, I-35 to the North, and I-37 to the east. The Alamodome is considered outside of downtown, and that construction by the Alamo Building is the addition of about 6 stories on top of the parking garage.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Downtown is bordered by Durango on the South I-10 to the west, I-35 to the North, and I-37 to the east. The Alamodome is considered outside of downtown, and that construction by the Alamo Building is the addition of about 6 stories on top of the parking garage.
So then there is no such thing as a UTSA downtown campus since it is west of I10. Likewise Sunset Station is not downtown? Once the Vidorra project is completed and people move in they cant say they are living downtown. Hmm,,, very interesting.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sananto View Post
So then there is no such thing as a UTSA downtown campus since it is west of I10. Likewise Sunset Station is not downtown? Once the Vidorra project is completed and people move in they cant say they are living downtown. Hmm,,, very interesting.
Yes. Technically speaking UTSA downtown campus is not downtown proper aka CBD.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 4:46 AM
Meh

Thanks for the clarification on the boundry lines. This is something I've wondered about myself.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 1:45 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
Yes. Technically speaking UTSA downtown campus is not downtown proper aka CBD.
Just a technicality of course...I presume most natives would associate this district as downtown, relative to any other area of town... just as they would the Alamodome or Sunset.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations