HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysal View Post
By W. Scott Bailey – Senior Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
2 hours ago Updated an hour ago

San Antonio International Airport continues to rack up more wins. The latest is new daily nonstop flights between the Alamo City and Philadelphia International Airport in a deal struck with American Airlines.

The carrier will launch the new service between the two cities beginning on Feb. 15. San Antonio officials said the new flights will provide much-needed capacity to the Northeast and provide passengers key access to American Airlines’ primary transatlantic gateway.

San Antonio Aviation Director Russ Handy said there is currently only one other airline providing access between the Alamo City and Philadelphia — on a seasonal basis.

Brian Pratte, air services administrator for the city of San Antonio, who has been tasked with improving air access to and from the market, said local officials have been working on the new Philadelphia flights with American Airlines for at least 18 months.

Pratte said the new deal with American Airlines will provide greater access “to our largest under-served market and international access via their major hub.”

The new commitment from American Airlines follows a series of wins for San Antonio airport officials.

Last month, I reported that Frontier Airlines will launch new nonstop flights between San Antonio and Colorado Springs, Colorado, in April. This is the third time since July that the company has unveiled plans to expand service to and from the Alamo City.

Late last month, Volaris initiated nonstop service from San Antonio International Airport to Mexico City International Airport.

All of this comes as a record number of passengers pass through the terminals at SAT.

Last month I reported that, in July, more than 848,000 ticket holders flew into or out of San Antonio’s largest airport. That set an all-time record for SAT and was a nearly 6 percent increase over passenger traffic during July 2016.

Airport officials expect the trend will continue — especially as more airlines move to meet the growing demand.

Maybe it's mentioned elsewhere, but they don't mention which aircraft they're using. Will this be an American mainline flight or an American Eagle flight? Either way, glad to have this nonstop back.

Any word if Delta will bring us a nonstop to their Seattle hub? That's the one I'm patiently waiting for.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole world11 View Post
Maybe it's mentioned elsewhere, but they don't mention which aircraft they're using. Will this be an American mainline flight or an American Eagle flight? Either way, glad to have this nonstop back.

Any word if Delta will bring us a nonstop to their Seattle hub? That's the one I'm patiently waiting for.
The aircraft they will be going with is the A-319. So mainline luckily, It's timed well for connections to Europe. While not a fan of Delta I think sooner or later you may see a flight to Seattle. Just glad we have the Alaska flight, and its stuck around.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan101 View Post
The aircraft they will be going with is the A-319. So mainline luckily, It's timed well for connections to Europe. While not a fan of Delta I think sooner or later you may see a flight to Seattle. Just glad we have the Alaska flight, and its stuck around.
Good thing it's mainline. From what I've heard, the Alaska flight to Seattle is usually full. So you're right about that, Delta will notice sooner or later.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 7:47 AM

Streak continues!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 6:02 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post
Not for the foreseeable future. SAT is working on connections to Panama City and further south into South America though.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...n-america.html
Thanks for the reply!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:05 AM

Two transit articles caught my eye, both of which seem pretty pie in the sky.

“Rail between San Antonio and Austin is much closer than it’s ever been,” Wolff said. “There are a number of potential plans. The good part is that San Antonio and the Austin MPO [Metropolitan Planning Organization] are working together, and we’re now working with the Dallas-Fort Worth MPO. These are large, futuristic projects.”

https://therivardreport.com/commissi...n-ever-for-sa/

San Antonio could expand the current airport or build another airfield as part of a new initiative taking an in-depth look at air travel, Mayor Ron Nirenberg said in an interview Tuesday.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...photo-10507488

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:33 PM
James

I don't know how to feel about the expansion of the airport or to build a new one.

Obviously it would have to be built on the southside as there is so much space for a new one close to DT...

The current airport has so much potential... the runways just need to be lengthened to the north and it can fit two more terminals. All the money we JUST spent would be going to waste.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I don't know how to feel about the expansion of the airport or to build a new one.

Obviously it would have to be built on the southside as there is so much space for a new one close to DT...

The current airport has so much potential... the runways just need to be lengthened to the north and it can fit two more terminals. All the money we JUST spent would be going to waste.
I think the current airport, due to its location, has greater potential for redevelopment. Build a town center for the Northside. Pull some of that sprawl back in.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 8:41 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
I think the current airport, due to its location, has greater potential for redevelopment. Build a town center for the Northside. Pull some of that sprawl back in.
True. I mean I'd be fine with either option. It's just... Yeah lol

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 1:44 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:

By the time a new airport would actually be built and running, we're looking at 10 to 15 years minimum in all reality. Airports like ABIA have a long range plan of 100+ gates and multiple terminals. IMO, SAT should base its master 'plan' on the idea of similar future needs. If SAT wants the long hauls and the plentiful domestic routes, they need to give carriers a carrot that they have a plan to provide the needed capacity. SAT's terminals and runways currently can't handle regularly scheduled service from wide body commercial aircraft. I think the best and smartest long term solution is a from scratch or near from scratch airport.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 4:05 AM

Quote:

Now that a regional airport with Austin is all but dead can the runways at SAT be lengthened so we can have non-stop flights to Europe and Asia OR would be benefit us in the long run to build a new terminal at the old Kelly AFB?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:39 PM

Southwest Airlines Announces New Non-Stop Service

Read a media post this morning that Southwest Airlines has added new non-stop service to Oakland and Ft. Lauderdale. Also resuming nonstop service to Cancun Mexico.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:57 PM

San Antonio lands new nonstop Southwest Airlines flights

From the San Antonio Business Journal
Scott Bailey

San Antonio has scored expanded air access to both coasts.

Southwest Airlines has agreed to add new daily nonstop flights from the Alamo City to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and Oakland, California. The new service will be available year round.

We are so pleased to share with you that beginning July 8th Southwest Airlines will offer daily non-stop, year-round service to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Oakland, CA (OAK) – adding a great new option to the San Francisco Bay area. Introductory fares will be only $54 to Ft Lauderdale and $84 to Oakland. Both routes will use a 143-seat B737-700. The initial flight schedule is as follows (subject to change):

o SAT-FLL: 6:35am – 10:30am
o FLL-SAT: 11:15am-1:15pm
o SAT-OAK: 2:00pm-3:40pm
o OAK-SAT: 4:25pm-9:45pm

Link to full article

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...539&j=79101121

Last edited by babysal; Nov 2, 2017 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 6:13 PM

Southwest....

I have read on Airliners.net that Southwest may begin the coveted Boston non-stop sometime next year! Also streak at SAT now at 15 months!

Passenger Numbers Continue to Climb at San Antonio International Airport

SAT experienced 687,536 passengers in the month of September. The year-to-date traffic totaled 6,665,150, which is also a record, and represents a 4.0% increase when compared to this time last year.

Now at 15 consecutive months of growth, SAT’s success can be directly attributed to the airport’s expanded efforts towards air service development, broad air service marketing, and a recognition by air carriers’ of the region’s growing demand for air service. Info via SAT facebook page.

This is a partial post from airliners.net from about two weeks ago.

KSBOS wrote:
With the new service to Brazil, I put together a list of the unserved nonstop routes from BOS. These are domestic and international I hope to see nonstop from Boston someday:

US:
Albuquerque
Burbank
Des Moines
Grand Rapids
Memphis
Newport News/Williamsburg
Oklahoma City
Omaha
Reno
San Antonio (hearing rumors this will start the end of this year or early next on WN)
South Bend
Tulsa

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 12:15 AM

Seems as though the 9 million mark isn't too much of a stretch at this point. If its not hit this year, as long as the growth continues, could be next!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 3:10 PM

Just curious (and not suggesting total passengers suggests when an airport receives a trans ocean flight), at what passenger count did ABIA receive its BA flight to Heathrow?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 1:08 AM

I'm surprised this hasn't generated more press:

https://hyperloop-one.com/global-cha...winners/#texas

The associated blog post : "Texas Hyperloop Could Transform Lone Star State Into Global Megaregion" certainly worth a read as well.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 4:59 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSPaul View Post
I'm surprised this hasn't generated more press:

https://hyperloop-one.com/global-cha...winners/#texas

The associated blog post : "Texas Hyperloop Could Transform Lone Star State Into Global Megaregion" certainly worth a read as well.
I will get an Elon Musk tattoo on my ass if that ever happens.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 2:22 AM

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 6:10 PM

More airlines have SA on radar screen, U.S. travel expert says

This is behind a firewall. If anyone has access, please repost the link.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio