HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Based on 2013 U.S. Census data, SA was ranked 182th overall in per capita income (#49 when only looking at MSAs & CSAs with over 1,000,000 inhabitants).
That list shows San Antonio ranked 182 but also having a metro population of 1.5 million people I think its a bit dated data pre 2000's.

Per capita. -median household -median family 2006-2010 counties. us census 2010 & American community survey.
Travis
31k 54k 69k
Tarrant
27k 55k 65k
Harris
26k 51k 58k
Bexar
23k 47k 56k
Dallas
26k 47k 53k
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 5:19 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
#49 out of 62. That's excellent!
Nice! Sure Paul will laugh too!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
That list shows San Antonio ranked 182 but also having a metro population of 1.5 million people I think its a bit dated data pre 2000's.

Per capita. -median household -median family 2006-2010 counties. us census 2010 & American community survey.
Travis
31k 54k 69k
Tarrant
27k 55k 65k
Harris
26k 51k 58k
Bexar
23k 47k 56k
Dallas
26k 47k 53k

Speaking of old data...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Based on 2013 U.S. Census data, SA was ranked 182th overall in per capita income (#49 when only looking at MSAs & CSAs with over 1,000,000 inhabitants).
We are up to 126th and climbing...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highes..._United_States

The updated numbers show a fast growth rate and the are above places like Miami and Tampa.

The Dallas Federal Reserve put together a very informative report that I will look for later. The report factors in COL and the impacts on QOL and how Texas metros compare.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 1:02 PM

New Airline Coming to SAT!

"Ultra-low-cost carrier Allegiant airline is making San Antonio its fifth Texas city, with nonstop service starting in November to Las Vegas, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando/Sanford."

Twice weekly service to each destination starting in early November. Hopefully this will help drive done average costs for leaving from SAT...

http://www.expressnews.com/business/...io-6436501.php

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 3:52 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Talks of regional airport between San Antonio, Austin resurface
By Stephanie Serna, Reporter
www.KSAT.com
Posted YESTERDAY, 6:42 PM
Updated YESTERDAY, 7:23 PM
Quote:
SAN ANTONIO - A regional airport between San Antonio and Austin may be in the talks again, according to San Antonio Mayor Ivy Taylor.

The discussion came up during Tuesday's Allegiant Air announcement in San Antonio.

"I had a conversation with the mayor of Austin about that this week," said Taylor. "And, I think certainly the time is right for us to at least talk about whether or not we need to have a regional airport for the area."

http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksat/news/2015/08/11/talks-of-regional-airport-between-san-antonio--austin-resurface.html

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 5:18 PM
JACKinBeantown

That's interesting. Seems most likely it would be somewhere in the triangle between New Braunfels, San Marcos and Sequin. It would certainly require a dedicated rail system with frequent trains between SA and Austin... like every 10-15 minutes.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay View Post
Talks of regional airport between San Antonio, Austin resurface
By Stephanie Serna, Reporter
www.KSAT.com
Posted YESTERDAY, 6:42 PM
Updated YESTERDAY, 7:23 PM

http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksat/news/2015/08/11/talks-of-regional-airport-between-san-antonio--austin-resurface.html
Great news about Allegiant's entrance into San Antonio market.

However, I wouldn't be giving a regional airport too much credence at this point. IF a new international airport for the Austin-San Antonio region were to be developed, it will not come to fruition in the coming 40+ years. Nobody in Austin is talking about it. They are too focused on expanding their own airport to meet it's growing demand (I think they're up 9% or 10% so far this year).

On the other hand, this does show that SA leaders are actually worried about how fast Austin is growing and that they need to do something. Even Cisneros pointed that out in the story.

"I have become realistic about the prospects and I don't think we're going to have a regional airport soon. But, I do think we have to work very hard to work with Austin on the question of air routes, because otherwise, San Antonio is going to get relegated to a very distinct second place," said Cisneros.

What does he mean by "we have to work very hard to work with Austin on the question of air routes?" Ask them to stop expanding because it's taking away possible routes from us? Hey Henry...ever heard of supply and demand? They'll laugh at us if we even broach the conversation.

We need to focus on us! Stop worrying about what others are doing. What we need to "work" on is how can SA cultivate and maintain new routes - on our own. Find a niche and exploit it.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 6:24 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

The demand in San Antonio is there obviously, the article even mentioned SA flyers making the trip to ABIA bc of cheaper fares.... hell my parents in New Braunfels make the trip... and their reasoning is cheaper fares! The major players in SA need to take a page from CVG's (Cinci/N. Kentucky) play book, 3 years ago it was considered one of the most expensive airports to fly out of.... now its ranked as one of the cheapest. They lobbied Frontier and Allegiant heavily from what I remember reading, and it paid off.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 9:06 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
We need to focus on us! Stop worrying about what others are doing. What we need to "work" on is how can SA cultivate and maintain new routes - on our own. Find a niche and exploit it.
THIS! We need focus on what we can do for ourselves in the 21st century while honoring our past.

Bring in new businesses. Nurture the exploding tech community and existing industries. That's what the focus should be on when it comes to helping SAT grow.

Texboy's comment of luring cheaper airfares, such as other airports in the past, are exactly what we should do.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 12:23 AM

Why would a regional airport between our cities be necessary? I'd think letting Austin focus on ABIA and San Antonio focus on SAT is more proactive than trying to push a regional airport.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 11:58 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Why would a regional airport between our cities be necessary? I'd think letting Austin focus on ABIA and San Antonio focus on SAT is more proactive than trying to push a regional airport.
Answer: direct flights.

For example, I live in Boston and there are very few direct flights to either airport. JetBlue and Southwest go to Austin, but I don't think anything goes to SA (though I could be wrong). You have to connect in DFW or Houston (or even places like ATL). Having a regional airport would change that.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Answer: direct flights.

For example, I live in Boston and there are very few direct flights to either airport. JetBlue and Southwest go to Austin, but I don't think anything goes to SA (though I could be wrong). You have to connect in DFW or Houston (or even places like ATL). Having a regional airport would change that.
A regional airport is not going to happen (at least for several generations to come). Let's just face it. Out of curiosity, what two large cities, within 80 miles of each other, are currently developing a new "regional" airport for use by both cities as its main airport? I cannot think of any.

The northern city limit of SA is 55 miles SW of Austin's city limit (along I-35). The two downtowns are about 80 miles apart. It will cost billions to develop a regional airport (when including a must-have high-speed rail link into each downtown from the airport).

Furthermore, Austin is not going to put any money toward a new airport just so SA can have more direct flights.

Austin already has more direct flights than SA and they're airport is humming along just fine, at high speed. There is absolutely no reason for them to really listen to any argument for a regional airport at this time (or at any time in the next decade or two).

Again, SA needs to focus on ourselves and not try to rely on another city to support our needs.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 6:46 PM
James

City Council Approves Rideshare Agreement, Lyft Coming Back
IRIS DIMMICK on 13 August, 2015 at 13:16

Quote:
City Council approved, 6 to 5, a new agreement Thursday afternoon that will allow rideshare companies to operate in San Antonio as long as they provide passengers the ability to see whether drivers have taken an optional 10-fingerprint background check with the City in addition to the standard third-party checks already required by companies like Lyft and Uber.
Rivard Report Article

Thank goodness, this was an embarrassment from the beginning.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 9:23 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

City Council discusses passenger train to Austin
By ROBERT PRICE
Fox San Antonio
Updated: Wednesday, August 12 2015, 09:34 PM CDT

http://www.foxsanantonio.com/news/fe...l#.Vc0JTn33FWh
Quote:
SAN ANTONIO -- Wednesday city council members voiced enthusiasm for the project as they got a detailed presentation about what our part of the route would cost.

The Lone Star Rail District wants to move all freight trains out of San Antonio and replace them with passenger trains. They would first build a new freight line to the east of town through Seguin.

The passenger route would run on the existing tracks all the way up to Georgetown, starting at the Texas A&M campus on the south side of San Antonio, with stops in Schertz, New Braunfels, San Marcos, and Austin.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 10:51 PM
Meh

What gets me about a regional airport is that it seems more like something that would benefit people in the immediate area. So whatever town/city the airport is in. Either San Marcos, New Braunfels or Seguin, etc. The question is, do those cities need another airport? If this is about offering more options for people of Austin and San Antonio, then why don't those two work on their own airports they already have? I guess having another one would help reduce auto traffic between the two cities, but then again it would increase it some too if they had flights the two main airports didn't.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
The demand in San Antonio is there obviously, the article even mentioned SA flyers making the trip to ABIA bc of cheaper fares.... hell my parents in New Braunfels make the trip... and their reasoning is cheaper fares!
This is the problem, the Austin airport is pulling from Seguin, the entire 35 corridor, and San Antonio. It's good for Austin, but terrible for San Antonio. SAT domestic travel has been stagnant for a while, either declining or increasing by less than a percent annually. It has not kept pace with population growth...why? The Austin airport has far better management and you can't really blame travelers for driving 10-20 additional miles to save 50 to 75 dollars per ticket. The travelers are here, they are just not flying out of SAT. I am curious how San Antonio plans to get international travelers to the new world heritage sites. Through ABIA?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
This is the problem, the Austin airport is pulling from Seguin, the entire 35 corridor, and San Antonio. It's good for Austin, but terrible for San Antonio. SAT domestic travel has been stagnant for a while, either declining or increasing by less than a percent annually. It has not kept pace with population growth...why? The Austin airport has far better management and you can't really blame travelers for driving 10-20 additional miles to save 50 to 75 dollars per ticket. The travelers are here, they are just not flying out of SAT. I am curious how San Antonio plans to get international travelers to the new world heritage sites. Through ABIA?
They will come through Bush and DFW to get to San Antonio. I have done the trip to ABIA once because our destination had no direct flights form SAT and I will never do it again. 45 mins to get bags (apparently they make all SW flights use the same luggage carousel) and you still have a 60+ minutes drive home.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
...I am curious how San Antonio plans to get international travelers to the new world heritage sites...
Interesting question. Obviously the Missions are not new, but, I am curious as to how this new designation will actually affect tourism to these sites.

It's really cool that they have now been recognized by UNESCO! On the other hand, I'm not quite convinced that because of this designation how tourism to the Missions are going to see a dramatic increase from where it is today. I'm cautiously optimistic...we shall see over time.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 1:10 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay View Post
City Council discusses passenger train to Austin
By ROBERT PRICE
Fox San Antonio
Updated: Wednesday, August 12 2015, 09:34 PM CDT

http://www.foxsanantonio.com/news/fe...l#.Vc0JTn33FWh
Move the freight lines out of San Antonio? Like, completely? That doesn't make sense. It would mean a lot more trucks clogging up the SA roads. That has to be a typo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio