HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 9:11 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ I don't doubt it. However I can remember taking a flight in a similar model of 737 when I was in grade 6... that was over 20 years ago. Eventually, these things should be retired to a desert in the southern US.
Maybe the Canadian Airforce can buy them. They'd be at least 10 years younger than most of their other transport planes.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 6:14 AM

Westjet's 737s are pretty nice. Maybe I'm being fooled by the headrest TVs.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 7:55 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35 View Post
Westjet's 737s are pretty nice. Maybe I'm being fooled by the headrest TVs.
Those are newer 737s, which are almost an entirely different aircraft except for the fuselage. I think Westjet has gotten rid of all their 'classic' 737s, the sort of which Canadian North and First Air fly.

Incidentally, Canadian North and First Air wouldn't be able to fly the newer 737s on many of their routes. Presently they fly them into several airports that only have gravel runways (generally practical in the arctic). The newer 737s can't land on gravel runways, I believe partly because the engines don't have great enough clearance from the ground.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 6:11 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Those are newer 737s, which are almost an entirely different aircraft except for the fuselage. I think Westjet has gotten rid of all their 'classic' 737s, the sort of which Canadian North and First Air fly.

Incidentally, Canadian North and First Air wouldn't be able to fly the newer 737s on many of their routes. Presently they fly them into several airports that only have gravel runways (generally practical in the arctic). The newer 737s can't land on gravel runways, I believe partly because the engines don't have great enough clearance from the ground.
I have spent a fair bit of time in the north and as far as I have seen and remember the first air/canadian north 737's only land in places like Ranklin, Yellowknife, Iqaluit, Kuujjuaq, which all have hard surface runways. These airports are used for military and designated emergency landing airports for commercial jets flying from overseas. Flights to smaller places that have gravel runways use prop planes only. I believe it has a lot to do with gravel flying up into the jet air intakes. If someone knows more about this I'd like to know.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 7:59 PM
ILYR

Some great construction pictures of the old terminal being built in 1963. Took a couple from http://www.james2010.ca/blog/article/366, but there are some more good shots to see on the site. I have reduced the resolution for here, so if you want higher res go to the site.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Maybe the Canadian Airforce can buy them. They'd be at least 10 years younger than most of their other transport planes.
737's have many generations

Starting with the 737-100 25 years ago to the 737-800 which is two years old.. Westjet mainly flys 737-600's 700's and 800's nothing older than that..

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 1:51 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

dam the old termal has been expanded a couple times lest it maiged to hold onto its styling

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 2:08 AM
Starring as himself

It used to be a lot more open in the days before "security". Anyone could come to the gate and wait with you until your plane came.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 2:44 AM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger5 View Post
737's have many generations

Starting with the 737-100 25 years ago to the 737-800 which is two years old.. Westjet mainly flys 737-600's 700's and 800's nothing older than that..
Actually the new ones are really amazing machines, but I was referring to the older ones First air and Canadian North fly.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 12:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
I have spent a fair bit of time in the north and as far as I have seen and remember the first air/canadian north 737's only land in places like Ranklin, Yellowknife, Iqaluit, Kuujjuaq, which all have hard surface runways. These airports are used for military and designated emergency landing airports for commercial jets flying from overseas. Flights to smaller places that have gravel runways use prop planes only. I believe it has a lot to do with gravel flying up into the jet air intakes. If someone knows more about this I'd like to know.
The do indeed fly 737-200s into smaller centres with gravel runways. You can read about it here and here. The special deflector kit is quite noticeable on the nose land gear in the following pictures:

Old Posted Feb 19, 2009, 6:37 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
The do indeed fly 737-200s into smaller centres with gravel runways. You can read about it here and here. The special deflector kit is quite noticeable on the nose land gear in the following pictures:
Thanks for the info. I'll have to keep my eye out next time I'm in the north.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 4:59 PM
Mooderator

it's official now.. GO Travel has postponed transatlantic flights from Winnipeg, now they're saying it'll be 2010.

guess they were a little too ambitious.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 5:11 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
it's official now.. GO Travel has postponed transatlantic flights from Winnipeg, now they're saying it'll be 2010.

guess they were a little too ambitious.
It's a wise decision, given the times we're in right now. They might as well wait until the new terminal is completed, which it will happen by then.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 8:17 PM
BANNED

Unless it's the same firm building the new Hydro HQ!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 1:49 AM
iron ring

The first 737-100 and -200 series came off the production lines in around 1967, but most of the ones still flying around up north are 1975-1985 models. Still old, but probably will be the aircraft of choice up there for the next decade or two. There's just nothing else to replace them with, and with a little maintenance they'll keep doing the job. Even with higher fuel use, if your competition flies the same aircraft it doesn't put you at a disadvantage. The 737-300's came out around 1983, with the -300 and -500 following. The NG series (-600/700/800/900) were introduced around 1996.

If you really want to see some old airplanes still at work, check out Buffalo Airways out of Yellowknife - their "new" airplanes are late 1950's era Lockheed Electra's, and they still run a bunch of DC3's and DC4's, just old workhorses. Man, I gotta go there someday...

GoTravel's YWG-LGW route had more to do with them and Finnair not having applied for the required licenses, as I understand it. Would be cool to see them when the new terminal is open.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 2:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

and thus the old planes will keep flying for many more years to come...

cf-ukn cf-fho cf-eir to name some

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 6:23 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the guy on jurneys travel show says theres going to be a non stop flight to london from winnipeg by june says there should be an anouncement on this sometime in this month

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 7:38 PM
GQMF

Cool, maybe I should go to London instead of NYC this summer.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 8:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

why not both?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 10:35 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrj View Post
If you really want to see some old airplanes still at work, check out Buffalo Airways out of Yellowknife - their "new" airplanes are late 1950's era Lockheed Electra's, and they still run a bunch of DC3's and DC4's, just old workhorses. Man, I gotta go there someday....
I actually been in a bunch of Buffalo Airways DC3's flying into remote camps in the NWT. Cool planes, but definitely from a different time. The best things about those planes is their ability to land in tight place with a very short runway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan