HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
The layout for the athletics complex has changed in the master plan. It is an impressive layout. It would be awesome if it could be built within the next ten years. What this can do for the on campus environment is priceless. Can you just imagine espn gameday on campus someday, amazing!
I agree. I see lots of tailgating, flags everywhere, rowdy fans...good times!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Can you just imagine espn gameday on campus someday, amazing!
Gonna have to get out of the SLC first. ESPN barely even bothers to put SLC scores on their ticker, let alone send TV crews to cover the games.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Gonna have to get out of the SLC first. ESPN barely even bothers to put SLC scores on their ticker, let alone send TV crews to cover the games.
My post was in reference to ten years from now. Going by coach Cokers comments, I think the plan is changing to playing as an independent and not ever playing football in the SLC. With the Alamodome as the home stadium and with the coach that was hired, I think the plan to play with the big boys is in full swing. It is time out for the second fiddle attitude that keeps SA from reaching higher. Why would a city this size with a university with almost 30,000 students be even thinking about staying in the Southland Conference, ridiculous.

Last edited by Big A; Jun 15, 2009 at 4:54 AM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 4:33 PM

There is a video of the master plan presentation:

http://utsa.edu/today/2009/06/masterplan2.cfm

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 7:34 PM

BGK has put UTSAs master plan on their site:

http://www.bgkarchitects.com/utsamp.asp

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 5:30 PM

The new master plan looks pretty good for the main campus. It looks like they have a lot of parking garages in the plan.

Downtown campus on the other hand, looks like it is lacking parking. Right now, there is the small parking garage and the under-the-highway parking which is fairly full during the semester. The plan completely built out shows no new parking structures.

I am one for pedestrian friendly campuses and students who use mass transit (or live close), but I would have expected to see at least one parking structure.

I don't believe that UTSA will build a football stadium at the sport complex in the next 10-20 years. They have too good of a thing with the dome downtown. But lets say they do, where are people going to park. The athletic complex at build out has no free room and 3.5 parking garages.

Like I said originally, I think the Dome is too good of a situation even though it is under a roof. There is also plenty of room to tailgate, and it would be a great venue for attracting major programs to beat the crap out of the Roadrunners.

Overall, I like the plan a lot more than the last one. These plans almost never see their end, but overall I like the direction this one is taking the University.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 3:43 PM
Bears of antiquity

Where is Chisholm on those renderings?! WTF.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Where is Chisholm on those renderings?! WTF.

It is still there. You just have to look closely. It looks like the buildout plan has some sort of addition to Chisholm.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 4:09 PM
Bears of antiquity

Wish there was an addition when I was there!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
BGK has put UTSAs master plan on their site:

http://www.bgkarchitects.com/utsamp.asp

So what will be the next building or phase to occur on campus?

IS there any sort of pecking order or section they want to start work on?

I would love to see the 'Quad' area focused on, but it looks liek they will need 4 or 5 huge expensive buildings and numerous parking garages before that becomes a reality...

Also that amplitheater looks interesting...

Let me know what you know!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peligro! View Post
So what will be the next building or phase to occur on campus?

IS there any sort of pecking order or section they want to start work on?

I would love to see the 'Quad' area focused on, but it looks liek they will need 4 or 5 huge expensive buildings and numerous parking garages before that becomes a reality...

Also that amplitheater looks interesting...

Let me know what you know!
So far the only new buildings approved and funded for construction are:

- ROTC building
- Ceramics Studio
- Track & Field Stadium/Soccer Stadium (Park West)

Plans called for East Campus to be the next major phase, but the new master plan calls for a more urban campus. East Campus would have focused on graduate level studies and housing. The economic downturn has really slowed growth plans at the university for now. Most major buildings that have recently been constructed were paid for by the state government (BSE & New Engineering Building) or student-approved fee increases (Rec Center Expansion & UC Expansion). The first phase of the athletics park is mostly funded by recent local bonds.

You can check the minutes from the Board of Regents meetings which approve all new construction on their website: http://www.utsystem.edu/bor/meetings/minutes.htm

Last edited by tgannaway89; Jul 3, 2009 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 5:51 PM

Quote:
So far the only new buildings approved and funded for construction are:

- ROTC building
- Ceramics Studio
- Track & Field Stadium/Soccer Stadium (Park West)

Plans called for East Campus to be the next major phase, but the new master plan calls for a more urban campus. East Campus would have focused on graduate level studies and housing. The economic downturn has really slowed growth plans at the university for now. Most major buildings that have recently been constructed were paid for by the state government (BSE & New Engineering Building) or student-approved fee increases (Rec Center Expansion & UC Expansion). The first phase of the athletics park is mostly funded by recent local bonds.

You can check the minutes from the Board of Regents meetings which approve all new construction on their website: http://www.utsystem.edu/bor/meetings/minutes.htm
You can view all approved projects by university at http://www.utsystem.edu/fpc/currentProjects.htm

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 1:50 PM

East Campus is no more.

Thank goodness!

I believe that East Campus would have been a terrible idea. Now that the Board of Regents has the land for the West Athletic Campus, land will open up (from the old master plan) on main campus.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
East Campus is no more.

Thank goodness!

I believe that East Campus would have been a terrible idea. Now that the Board of Regents has the land for the West Athletic Campus, land will open up (from the old master plan) on main campus.
Darn...I wanted that cool looking bridge

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 10:56 AM

I like the Convo expansion plan:

It is not a very attractive building as is:

Rendering from http://www.oconnellrobertson.com/

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 10:20 PM

I thought that a new basketball arena was going in at the Athletics Park. Why would they spend money on renovating the Convocation Center?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I thought that a new basketball arena was going in at the Athletics Park. Why would they spend money on renovating the Convocation Center?
That proposed basketball stadium is likely 10+ years from being built. Plus, even once it is built the Convo will remain on campus for functions such as graduation. The multi-level Convo expansion will also include much needed athletics office space.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 3:25 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

It's not 10 plus years away. NISD wants badly to get a basketball arena built asap which is why they're partnering with UTSA to get it built.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
It's not 10 plus years away. NISD wants badly to get a basketball arena built asap which is why they're partnering with UTSA to get it built.
I read something about that a while back, but it's just an idea right now. An arena with at least 10,000 seats is needed to host graduations,etc.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 2:57 AM

Quote:
I like the Convo expansion plan:

It is not a very attractive building as is:

Rendering from http://www.oconnellrobertson.com/
At a meeting last week (UTSA) I heard that there will be a performance arts building that will be coming up soon in the parking lot facing the convo. If you look at the most recent (2009) campus masterplan, that is shown as a building with a tower. It makes sense because the master plan recommends that the main Quad be the first area to be developed, and the proposed building would be the major building anchoring the Quad.

The master plan has only shown buildings in a conceptual way and they have neither recommended the function nor the actual structure in their renderings. It would make sense to have a performing arts center as the major building facing the future Quad. U. Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) has Foellinger Auditorium in the main Quad, and Grainger Engineering Library in the their Engineering Quad.

Purdue has a major building (Hovde, the building that fronts the Eilliott hall of music) facing their Engineering quad (which they call the "Purdue Mall"). These are the two campuses I studied in and it makes eminent sense to have a signature building facing the main Quad.

If anyone has any details on the proposed building. Please post.

Cheers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio