HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 7:02 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Now, which one of you will run for the election to fix the Perimeter (including traffic lights on Highway 1 outside of Winnipeg and Highway 75)? I see 4 potential candidates here.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 7:16 PM

I think a pedestrian overpass on the old Waverley alignment would be nice. Connect the two areas better. I'll run for office if you donate 7 figures to me, to the left of the decimal.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 7:50 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Ugh if I had that much money, I'd rather donate it to the ministry of transportation to get one interchange done.

Seriously, though, can't politics be any cheaper...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 9:23 PM

If Wilkes doesn't get touched in the south Perimeter review I would be shocked. The fixes are fairly simple:

- push the SB exit lane further south so it doesn't exit in the blindspot of the bridge. Give it a longer deceleration runway.

- to accommodate that the SB acceleration lane is going to also need to be extended.

- change the NB merge lane from the dead drop at the top of the bridge to a longer ramp up merging shortly before the bridge.

- to accommodate the NB merge lane extension the NB exit will also need to be extended.

As it is undeveloped land in the area the expropriation costs would be minimal.

A similar improvement would be to give the Roblin merge lane entry NB traffic flow a longer runway. Currently the merge point is somewhat in a blindspot from the interchange.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
If Wilkes doesn't get touched in the south Perimeter review I would be shocked. The fixes are fairly simple:

- push the SB exit lane further south so it doesn't exit in the blindspot of the bridge. Give it a longer deceleration runway.

- to accommodate that the SB acceleration lane is going to also need to be extended.

- change the NB merge lane from the dead drop at the top of the bridge to a longer ramp up merging shortly before the bridge.

- to accommodate the NB merge lane extension the NB exit will also need to be extended.

A similar improvement would be to give the Roblin merge lane entry NB traffic flow a longer runway. Currently the merge point is somewhat in a blindspot from the interchange.
Definitely forgot about Wilkes on my list from the previous page

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Well maybe it has to do with the fact Manitoba has 30% more people than Nova Scotia but 1100% more land area in which to connect via highways.
If only we had the same total length of freeways as Nova Scotia. And if they were only in the populated regions of southern Manitoba.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:31 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Digression: RCMP Hotspot

https://mobile.twitter.com/rcmpmb

Just take a look at all the pictures with the hashtag #RCMPHOTSPOT .

Seriously, your cops are so strict. If I go 120 kph on the Perimeter where the speed limit is 100 kph, I’ll get a big, fat ticket too.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 1:28 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Funny, 120 in a 100 is fine here. At 120 you are basically in the traffic flow. Every place is different.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:03 PM

Wilkes will get the same treatment as Roblin did. The new bridge allows for 6 lanes of traffic below.

I guess Wilkes goes over so it's a bit different.

Last edited by bomberjet; Nov 1, 2018 at 3:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Funny, 120 in a 100 is fine here. At 120 you are basically in the traffic flow. Every place is different.
Sometime in the last couple years a group of people did the speed limit on the 401 across all lanes. It backed up traffic forever and caused big delays. It was to prove a point that going 100 is not adequate to maintain good traffic flow, due to vehicle volume.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:12 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I bet. Not an issue out here, but in the city it is bad enough.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Sometime in the last couple years a group of people did the speed limit on the 401 across all lanes. It backed up traffic forever and caused big delays. It was to prove a point that going 100 is not adequate to maintain good traffic flow, due to vehicle volume.
I find in the US it's pretty lax on urban interstates that are similar to the 401 in terms of size and volume. The only place I've driven over 200 kph is on interstates around Los Angeles (wide open 10 lane roads with no traffic, so very low risk) ... I'd probably be in jail if I attempted that on the Perimeter.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:39 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I find in the US it's pretty lax on urban interstates that are similar to the 401 in terms of size and volume. The only place I've driven over 200 kph is on interstates around Los Angeles (wide open 10 lane roads with no traffic, so very low risk) ... I'd probably be in jail if I attempted that on the Perimeter.
There was this one time that RCMP caught a person test-driving a car from a dealership at 224 kph on Highway 100 near an intersection with traffic lights (so 2.8 times the speed limit). The cops called the dealership to come pick up the car. I don’t know what became of the driver afterwards though.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:39 PM

Also, talking about the McGillivray truck access thing. I forgot about the 4 mile road interchange. There's your solution to the trucking problem. No interchange at the rail line. make it an overpass whenever it's warranted and/or makes sense.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Wilkes will get the same treatment as Roblin did. The new bridge allows for 6 lanes of traffic below.

I guess Wilkes goes over so it's a bit different.
Wilkes will be an absolutely massive project if they want to make it six lanes. The "easiest" of the fixes would likely be building a second bridge to the west to handle the SB flow long term then undertake a major rehab of the existing bridge for three lane NB long term with perhaps a dedicated merge lane over the bridge that enters the traffic flow on the north side of the existing structure.

The other alternative would be taking the existing structure completely offline, removing the bridge decking, as was done at Roblin, widening the approached for added lanes and then building a new bridge. Removing the bridge would require a temporary at-grade rail crossing on the relatively busy CN mainline.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:

Seems really unnecessary to do anything with Wilkes, the amount of traffic on there is quite minimal.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
There was this one time that RCMP caught a person test-driving a car from a dealership at 224 kph on Highway 100 near an intersection with traffic lights (so 2.8 times the speed limit). The cops called the dealership to come pick up the car. I don’t know what became of the driver afterwards though.
Well if that was you, you are an idiot, and shouldn’t be allowed to drive ever!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/rcmpmb

Just take a look at all the pictures with the hashtag #RCMPHOTSPOT .

Seriously, your cops are so strict. If I go 120 kph on the Perimeter where the speed limit is 100 kph, I’ll get a big, fat ticket too.
No reason to go that fast

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Wilkes will be an absolutely massive project if they want to make it six lanes. The "easiest" of the fixes would likely be building a second bridge to the west to handle the SB flow long term then undertake a major rehab of the existing bridge for three lane NB long term with perhaps a dedicated merge lane over the bridge that enters the traffic flow on the north side of the existing structure.

The other alternative would be taking the existing structure completely offline, removing the bridge decking, as was done at Roblin, widening the approached for added lanes and then building a new bridge. Removing the bridge would require a temporary at-grade rail crossing on the relatively busy CN mainline.
I was thinking a new bridge completely too, which may happen. Or just close down one side, widen it to 3 lanes and rehab. Same thing for the other side. Then push out the ramps and stuff to make it better geometry. Didn't they rebuild the piers there too with new girders. Basically new bridges.

Edit: Looking at Streetview and Roblin looks to be all brand new. And is very wide underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Seems really unnecessary to do anything with Wilkes, the amount of traffic on there is quite minimal.
The structure at Wilkes is for Perimeter Hwy traffic. So it's just as busy as any other spot on the south Perimeter. It needs to be rehabbed at minimum.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:26 PM
What could go wrong?

The Wilkes Ave - Perimeter grade separation will be reconstructed as part of the South Perimeter project. The bridge needs to be widened to 6 lanes and the geometry of the ramps will be reconfigured.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan