HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Having to drive 60 KMPH, then 80, then 90 and finally 100 and further up 110 is ridiculous when exiting Winnipeg from the south on #75! But then speed limits throughout Winnipeg and Manitoba are a joke!
How else are the cops going to write all those tickets?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 5:04 PM

Hopefully the St. Norbert bypass can change that.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
[...]the South Perimeter project [...] is an important piece of infrastructure to grow the overall development of CentrePort.
That seems a little odd but not overly surprising. This would suggest the CPT west extension, the Headingley By Pass, St Nobert By Pass and HWY 2/3 interchange are all going to be priority projects as they are all related to the CentrePort development, much more so than the south Perimeter. It will also be interesting to see is a HWY 6 interchange and extension into CentrePort gets fast tracked as it is a key highway to the north with an extension running right into the heart of CentrePort.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 1:36 PM
What could go wrong?

There is a Federal/Provincial Hwy funding announcement this morning involving Hwy 6 and Hwy 1 in the Whiteshell. I don't have specifics yet but I assume that the Hwy 1 work will be the twinning from Falcon east to the Man/Ont border. The Hwy 6 project could be an interchange at the Perimeter.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 1:40 PM

Sweet! Is this in relation to the transit funding announcement today by Trudeau? Or something different. Toronto is getting half a billion for transit.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 1:43 PM

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 1:53 PM
What could go wrong?

Well look at that, perfect timing. I'll try and post out if it happens to be a new interchange.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:00 PM
What could go wrong?

bhaaa....just grade widening and resurfacing. $53 million. Good overall projects but I expected a big splash.

"PTH 1 Project
The PTH 1 project will rehabilitate two sections of this highway:
• The first is grade widening with drainage improvements on a 22 kilometre stretch of the westbound lanes from PTH 11 to Provincial Road 308.
o Additional grade width is required in preparation for resurfacing to support the additional pavement structure to meet the demands of increasing truck volumes and weights on National Highway System routes.
• The second is resurfacing a length of 30 kilometres of the eastbound lanes from the Brokenhead River to the Greater Winnipeg Water District Railway.
o Construction of a bituminous pavement overlay, including milling of existing bituminous pavement and reconstruction of pavement cross fall.
o Intersection improvements at Provincial Road 503 and at the intersection of Pineland Road, in the Municipality of Reynolds.

PTH 6 Project
• The PTH 6 project will rehabilitate the pavement on a 21 km section of roadway from Provincial Road 248 to PR 415. The work will also include intersection improvements and paved shoulders with rumble strips."

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:01 PM

I wonder what this means for all of the other Perimeter-related improvement projects that the NDP announced in its last couple years in office? I suppose if they're announcing a new interchange at an intersection where the need is not quite as urgent as it is at some of the intersections on the South Perimeter, then it must bode well.

It's hard to read the political tea leaves on this stuff given that the feds are in a bit of a spendy mode in relation to infrastructure, while the province is sending austerity signals on everything.

EDIT: Whoops, scratch that...no new interchange, just basic maintenance and minor upgrades. For what it's worth 101/6 doesn't strike me as a terribly high priority relative to some of the other signalled intersections on the Perimeter.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:11 PM

Boooring lol but needed.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:22 PM

Do they really need a press conference for that?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:24 PM
What could go wrong?

Politicians need to kiss hands and shake babies......or something like that.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There is a Federal/Provincial Hwy funding announcement this morning involving Hwy 6 and Hwy 1 in the Whiteshell. I don't have specifics yet but I assume that the Hwy 1 work will be the twinning from Falcon east to the Man/Ont border. The Hwy 6 project could be an interchange at the Perimeter.
If you are travelling on CCW from the Perimeter to Route 90 the second set of lights would be the long term connection point to HWY 6. When the interchange at the Perimeter happens HWY 6 would then be extended into the Centerport area and connect there. The project would ultimately be bigger than just an interchange. Also judging by the lack of progress on the Headingley bypass the HWY 6 project is likely in the 10+ year range and more likely in the 20+ year range unless Centerport growth hits a huge acceleration.

I would still predict the Headingley bypass in the 5+ year range, the St Nobert interchange and by-pass around the 10+ year range and the Oak Bank Corridor, eastern CPT extension and the HWY 6 interchange and extension all in the 20+ year range. So of ironic the Oak Bank corridor is going to move about as quickly as a 59/101 interchange project.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:38 PM

^ Hwy 6 will connect to CCW north of the tracks near Little Mountain. That's why there is that funny curve when connecting into Inkster. It's basically forming two legs of an intersection. Or hopefully an interchange.

But all of your logic applies. If MIT really go on it, they could still build the interchange at 6/101 and leave the connection into CentrePort for later. IMO, maybe this is too long term at this point. Highway 6 need to be extended all the way to Churchill. That port needs to be purchased by one of the Governments for now to have control of it. And expansion into the north needs to go ahead. Before long, the rest of the world will be invading the north.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:11 PM
Heart of the Continent

The best part - the highway 6 project has already closed as it was tendered almost a month ago. The highway 1 projects has also been out to tender for a while. I'm really disappointed that no one even talks about finishing the last leg into Ontario (well, Selinger did, but).

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:12 PM
Heart of the Continent

Highway 6 and 1 have really become great in terms of surface quality though.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:13 PM

I was just going to comment that these projects aren't really new projects. Anyways, I'm a bit disappointed by this haha.

I'll agree the highways have been improving. I wonder if any passing lanes will be included in the highway 6 works?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:16 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I was just going to comment that these projects aren't really new projects. Anyways, I'm a bit disappointed by this haha.

I'll agree the highways have been improving. I wonder if any passing lanes will be included in the highway 6 works?
I don't think that the passing lanes are to go past Woodlands:

http://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIER...%2ffpIdg%3d%3d

Nothing in the tender either.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:23 PM

I haven't been on the #6 in decades. Are there any passing lanes on it right now?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:45 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I haven't been on the #6 in decades. Are there any passing lanes on it right now?
There are passing lanes between Gross Isle and Woodlands. The shoulders are paved to the edge of the grade from Winnipeg to Warren. After that, any new work involves wide shoulders with partial paving. The surface is good all the way up to Thompson basically. There were two upgrade tenders this year - the one mentioned here, and the one for spot road improvements near Fairford.

There are supposed to be passing lanes between Winnipeg and Gross Isle, but I'm not sure when that will happen, being as the mill and fill with shoulder widening was done only 4 - 5 years ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan