HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Phase 2 of public information for the McGillivray interchange project were posted.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/mti/hpd/pth100...esentation.pdf

Nothing new or earth shattering, just a few more details that might concern residents. No AT solution is provided in the interim, only once they add the 2nd structure for twinning.

I believe the dates on the construction timeline on the website were edited from 2025-2027 to 2025-2028, and while it is annoying that it will be a 3 year project like St Mary's, this signals that at the MTI level, this is still going ahead. I know anything can change, especially with a sizeable deficit for this fiscal, but hopefully enough has been committed to this project that it would be a political black eye to cancel it.
There actually is a big change from the previous engagement now this one they’re cheaping out and going full asphalt. Is there something that we don’t know that is making them do this. Because we all know asphalt only last a couple months here… when I think of interstate quality roads I don’t think of asphalt I think of nice solid raked concrete pavement.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
There actually is a big change from the previous engagement now this one they’re cheaping out and going full asphalt. Is there something that we don’t know that is making them do this. Because we all know asphalt only last a couple months here… when I think of interstate quality roads I don’t think of asphalt I think of nice solid raked concrete pavement.
Trans-Canada and all our rural asphalt roads are excellent. They're also not a 4" layer, or whatever Winnipeg cheaps out with. They also don't get salted like a McDonalds french fry in attempt to melt away up to 3" of snow.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Phase 2 of public information for the McGillivray interchange project were posted.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/mti/hpd/pth100...esentation.pdf

Nothing new or earth shattering, just a few more details that might concern residents. No AT solution is provided in the interim, only once they add the 2nd structure for twinning.

I believe the dates on the construction timeline on the website were edited from 2025-2027 to 2025-2028, and while it is annoying that it will be a 3 year project like St Mary's, this signals that at the MTI level, this is still going ahead. I know anything can change, especially with a sizeable deficit for this fiscal, but hopefully enough has been committed to this project that it would be a political black eye to cancel it.
I'm glad the interchange is going ahead, but why have motorists go through 3 traffic lights just to cross the perimeter? The current roundabout at Oak Bluff works really well; why not have 3 more of those?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
I'm glad the interchange is going ahead, but why have motorists go through 3 traffic lights just to cross the perimeter? The current roundabout at Oak Bluff works really well; why not have 3 more of those?
There's been basically zero effort to provide systems type connection from the Perimeter into Winnipeg on the PTH routes. This one specifically with the proposed twinning of McGillivray, would be up for at least showing some type of future option that allows for cloverleaf or whatever type of systems interchange is acceptable to this group.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There's been basically zero effort to provide systems type connection from the Perimeter into Winnipeg on the PTH routes. This one specifically with the proposed twinning of McGillivray, would be up for at least showing some type of future option that allows for cloverleaf or whatever type of systems interchange is acceptable to this group.
A Diamond Interchange is not a good design for a Highway like that. I think a Parclo would work better, but I guess this is what it's going to be.

A diamond isn't appropriate for a major road connection like this. For Hwy 5 near Carberry it's okay, but not here. But better than nothing I guess.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboy15 View Post
A Diamond Interchange is not a good design for a Highway like that. I think a Parclo would work better, but I guess this is what it's going to be.

A diamond isn't appropriate for a major road connection like this. For Hwy 5 near Carberry it's okay, but not here.
100% agree. They're adding 3 lights within 500m at Oak Bluff with this Diamond. Yes, diamond at Oak Bluff is better than nothing, but is that our target? Oh wait, it's Winnipeg. Of course.

MB license plates should be changed from "Friendly Manitoba" to "Manitoban Mediocrity" or "Land of Underachievers".

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
100% agree. They're adding 3 lights within 500m at Oak Bluff with this Diamond. Yes, diamond at Oak Bluff is better than nothing, but is that our target? Oh wait, it's Winnipeg. Of course.

MB license plates should be changed from "Friendly Manitoba" to "Manitoban Mediocrity" or "Land of Underachievers".
But this probably won't be the design forever. It seems the preliminary design is going to be a diamond. Probably when traffic justifies it, we may possibly see a future upgrade to an alternate design (parclo, diverging diamond, SPUI, etc).

P.S.
My 200th Post. Yay me

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 5:56 PM

Anyone know of the timelines for RFQ/RFP for McGillivray interchange? Says 2024 on the MTI website.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:16 PM
What could go wrong?

The RFP for pre-qual Design-Build (DB) should be out shortly. I would imagine the RFP to qualified DB would be this summer. They hope to award the DB contract in early 2025.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Anyone know of the timelines for RFQ/RFP for McGillivray interchange? Says 2024 on the MTI website.
All RFPs and tenders are available at the MERX.com website.

If you search from Manitoba Transportation and Infrastructure, nothing is open at this time. I would guess it would be later into the year.

https://www.merx.com/public/solicita...NumberSelect=1

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 9:02 PM
There is always a way

They should accelerate the project significantly. I think the whole thing should be a top infrastructure priority going forward. That along with the other main twinned highways. Upgrade em asap!
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
They should accelerate the project significantly. I think the whole thing should be a top infrastructure priority going forward. That along with the other main twinned highways. Upgrade em asap!
I agree. I think the whole Perimeter Freeway Project should be a top priority, but unfortunately with federal funding, we can't only work on one road at a time. We must share it with other roads in the province too.

I wish they would focus on the main highways first above other roads. The top priority should be the Perimeter Hwy, Hwy 1, Centreport Canada Way, and Highway 75. As inflation is getting higher, it is probably going to get harder and harder to do the bigger projects in the long term.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 9:51 PM

As sad as it may be, this is lightspeed for Manitoba! haha

Essentially they will finish St. Mary's this fall and start McGillivray next spring.

This is similar timing for McGillivray as the start of St. Mary's, which the contract was issued January 2022. They started construction that spring. Construction dates on the MTI website are 2025-2028 for McGillivray, so they're on pace for that.

I will be quite impressed that MTI will have pulled this off through a pandemic, inflation and a government change. Bravo.

On to planning for St. Anne's. Hopefully they come online with a North Perimeter program once the study finishes up.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
As sad as it may be, this is lightspeed for Manitoba! haha

Essentially they will finish St. Mary's this fall and start McGillivray next spring.

This is similar timing for McGillivray as the start of St. Mary's, which the contract was issued January 2022. They started construction that spring. Construction dates on the MTI website are 2025-2028 for McGillivray, so they're on pace for that.

I will be quite impressed that MTI will have pulled this off through a pandemic, inflation and a government change. Bravo.

On to planning for St. Anne's. Hopefully they come online with a North Perimeter program once the study finishes up.
At least we are making progress, that's for sure.
- Once McGillvary is finished, we would have a free flowing Highway from Oak Bluff all the way to Centreport Canada Way (if it wasn't for the level CEMR crossing).
- Once St Annes is done, we will have a free flowing road from Fermor Ave to Pembina highway (except for Symington Road, which will probably be last). This section would mean alot because we would have almost one quadrant free flowing.
- And we already have a free flowing North Perimeter from Lagimodiere to Main Street (CPR Crossing).

So thankfully, we are so close, yet so far.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 10:43 PM

But I don't think we are overly behind with the rest of western Canada.
Calgary:
- The Deerfoot Trail became a full freeway in 2005. Construction started in the 70's.
- The Stoney Trail Ring road started in 2001 and was finally completed ahead of schedule in 2023. Planned since the 50's.
Edmonton:
- Anthony Henday Drive started in 1990, finished in 2016. The first freeway segment from Gateway to West Yellowhead Trail opened in 2006.
- Yellowhead Trail is yet to be finished by the end of this decade.
Saskatoon:
- Finished the full circle drive in 2013. Still not full freeway (and probably won't because of the planned second ring road).
- Regina made a proper bypass and opened in 2019.

At least Winnipeg is smaller than Edmonton and Calgary, and some of the major transport routes finished recently. Regina is much smaller than Winnipeg, but we will probably catch up soon.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 11:29 PM

Sort of related to construction on the south leg between Hwy 1 East and West, the Winnipeg Police Dept have announced on X (twitter) that they are taking over traffic enforcement on the South Perimeter Hwy from the RCMP Headingley traffic division.

They will be doing photo radar in the interchange construction zone in the near future if they have not already started.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 11:36 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Sort of related to construction on the south leg between Hwy 1 East and West, the Winnipeg Police Dept have announced on X (twitter) that they are taking over traffic enforcement on the South Perimeter Hwy from the RCMP Headingley traffic division.

They will be doing photo radar in the interchange construction zone in the near future if they have not already started.
Is Winnipeg Police taking over temporarily or permanently?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post

Does that mean a radar van will be parked there? or that it's just the WPS sending traffic enforcement officers instead of it being RCMP?

My understanding was that with the Perimeter being a provincial highway that the city couldn't use the radar vans there, but since St Mary's south until the floodway is still in city limits and they maintain the roadway, they were able to set up there.

In other news, there is work starting up on the St Mary's interchange. Some concrete work on the deck (there were tarps laid out on the weekend that are now gone) and there's a large white tent covering the approach on the south side of the bridge.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Does that mean a radar van will be parked there? or that it's just the WPS sending traffic enforcement officers instead of it being RCMP?

My understanding was that with the Perimeter being a provincial highway that the city couldn't use the radar vans there, but since St Mary's south until the floodway is still in city limits and they maintain the roadway, they were able to set up there.
WPS can do photo or traffic enforcement anywhere within City limits. With WPS taking over enforcement on the South Perimeter it doesn't mean you can't get a ticket from RCMP there either.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
WPS can do photo or traffic enforcement anywhere within City limits. With WPS taking over enforcement on the South Perimeter it doesn't mean you can't get a ticket from RCMP there either.
You can even get a ticket from the CPKC rail police if you break the law within 500 meters of property that the railway company owns, possesses or administers. That means any of their crossings on the south Perimeter are fair game for a speeding ticket.

CN Rail police also have the same powers of enforcement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan