HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 5:16 AM
I am the law!

Takes very little for raw steel to oxidize. Bad for painting like a steel body car. Paint doesn't stick to it. Non issue here. It will be encapsulated in fire retardant, drywall, concrete, whatever.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 1:41 PM

Actually even uncovered it would be fine. Surface rust has very negligible dimensional effects on a steel beam and covers the exterior in a rust layer that blocks oxidation and rusting of the steel beneath. Think of it like the white mold skin on brie which protects the cheese underneath.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 7:02 PM

Thanks guys The more you know!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 5:29 PM

The One - 309m - 85s - Mizrahi Developments - Foster + Partners - under construction
I just discovered that my brother-in-law, who works at Walters Group in Stoney Creek (Ontario), didn’t mention they were fabricating steel (like the connectors below) for the tallest building in Canada… even
though he knows I’m a skyscraper geek (coal in his stocking this Christmas ;-)

Fortunately a forum member who lives near the plant is stalking deliveries like these “octopus-ish” connectors ready for transport.

macro

Benito

Toronto skyline: for skyscraper and skyline geeks (like me), here’s a ‘by the numbers” snapshot of Toronto skyscraper totals, which I (and lots of others)
define as 150 metres or more (rather than the 100+ metre metric often used by the media).
This snapshot uses a 150 metre +/- one metre, because I think it’s a bit silly to ignore a half dozen scrapers that are .4 metres below the threshold ;-).

Proposed:
- 150m- 376m (CC3)

Construction:
- 150m- 312.5m (SkyTower)

Built:
- 150m- 298m (FCP)
1 - 533m - (CN Tower)

Built + Construction: - TOTAL 95
Built + Construction + Proposed:- TOTAL 190

A) Supertalls (300m+) Built or Construction: 2
B) Supertalls (300m+) Proposed: 7

My subjective observation: for fun I decided to add in just 25% of the Toronto proposals (24 skyscrapers) to project
an informal built or under construction future snapshot: The total equals 119 skyscrapers. Not bad. In fact IMO Toronto will one day have the number 2 skyline in North America.
The city may not have a 400 metre+ skyscraper (though it’s not impossible in the future), but I think this fact is mitigated by the the tallest free-standing structure in North America,
the CN Tower (553m). While purists insist CN is not a “building”, it has certainly been a skyline-changer in a few million photos for the past four and a half decades. It belongs in any skyline discussion.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 3:00 PM

We are coming for you guys! Rumor has it that we may see an official ground-breaking for Ottawa's new tallest soon. At 234m we won't even be at the bottom of the list!

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=164924

Will be great to check out this thread and see O-town for a change.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 3:31 PM
I am the law!

There's been rumours of a ground breaking since last year. I hope this one is different for you guys. I personally couldn't care less about the height of the towers here. There's very little for me to like about this. It's out of character with the neighbourhood. The urban form lacks an inviting scale. The design looks like it has been value engineered from the first renderings for this plan.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
There's been rumours of a ground breaking since last year. I hope this one is different for you guys. I personally couldn't care less about the height of the towers here. There's very little for me to like about this. It's out of character with the neighbourhood. The urban form lacks an inviting scale. The design looks like it has been value engineered from the first renderings for this plan.
What neighbourhood?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I'm not sure why being "out of character" is a problem here. Immediate neighbours are City Centre, a long hated glorified loading dock frequently featured on the 'Ugly' threads, and a 50 year old community hockey arena. Beyond that is a slowly gentrifying neighbourhood of some of the oldest and worst kept residential structures in the city. This is a very large project (by any measure) at the juncture of the Trillium and Confederation rail transit lines and will essentially become its own neighbourhood. You may not like the design and that is your choice but I'd be curious to hear what you mean by 'value engineered'. It won't have the high-end materials of some of Toronto's beasts but I expect it will be similar in impact (and in quality) to Stantec in Edmonton.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 4:30 PM
I am the law!

I recall the tower designs being a lot more refined or maybe I've just had a change of heart. I liked them at one time. Now I find them mediocre.

I just don't see any need to build this dense at this specific location. Transit is being grossly overplayed. I like tall buildings as much as the next guy but, understand it's not a friendly scale particular these large block developments that don't have a diverse, interesting human scaled interface with the public boulevards. The complexities of mechanical and logistic centres capable of servicing complexes this large and the needs for those to be accessible makes creating a neighourhood feel extremely difficult. The scale of this development also usually comes at a higher price tag and this development, in particular, sets the precedence.

It makes sense to me on Bay Street or at Yonge and Bloor in Toronto. It doesn't make any sense here or in most if not all of the suburban nodes in Toronto. I love stats which is why I follow baseball. I also try to look beyond the numbers game. My gut tell me that this is a numbers game to most.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
I'm not sure why being "out of character" is a problem here. Immediate neighbours are City Centre, a long hated glorified loading dock frequently featured on the 'Ugly' threads, and a 50 year old community hockey arena. Beyond that is a slowly gentrifying neighbourhood of some of the oldest and worst kept residential structures in the city. This is a very large project (by any measure) at the juncture of the Trillium and Confederation rail transit lines and will essentially become its own neighbourhood. You may not like the design and that is your choice but I'd be curious to hear what you mean by 'value engineered'. It won't have the high-end materials of some of Toronto's beasts but I expect it will be similar in impact (and in quality) to Stantec in Edmonton.
Design debate aside (look fine to me), how far away from downtown is the site? Specifically, if built as proposed, would the camera frame capture these along with downtown's medium height (but dense) core?

If so, it would definitely launch Ottawa past Edmonton in the "pretty with some talls skyline" photo stakes.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 1:05 AM

Looks great. It's nice that there's some critical mass rather than just one lonely tower in the park.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 1:11 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Anything happening on the YSL site or has construction halted ?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 6:04 PM

Quote:
We are coming for you guys! Rumor has it that we may see an official ground-breaking for Ottawa's new tallest soon. At 234m we won't even be at the bottom of the list!

Nice but they better hurry as there are 25 building ahead of it in the list that are proposed. More then half could start at anytime.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 8:53 PM

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 8:57 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

That's some serious steel there...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 2:37 AM
The New Republic

Quote:

So is the long term plan to develop this area as a high density neighbourhood? Ottawa is certainly large enough that it should start thinking like that. Lots of cities build new downtown cores and Ottawa will need one due to the limitations placed on the existing one...... if not here, then somewhere else.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 3:55 AM

Is Ottawa tying to be like Houston?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post

Now that the sections are in place Maldive posted pictures of during the week they should be able to remove those yellow supports. I wonder how many floors we will have by the Christmas break.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 1:37 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Is Ottawa tying to be like Houston?
If it was Houston that would be office rather than mostly residential and there would be a large parking podium or attached garage. The tallest residential building in Houston is only 162m and yes, got a big ol' parking podium. https://goo.gl/maps/yZoz6bAdN6sNsmr8A

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 1:56 PM

160'S core is starting to rise.
source: urbantoronto.ca

This will be a neat view of construction in a year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada