HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 2:19 PM

Expected lifespan of Terra Nova field expanded by 7 years

Quote:
Newfoundland and Labrador's offshore petroleum regulator says the life of the Terra Nova oil and gas field will be extended by seven years to 2027.

The Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board says upgrades completed by Suncor Energy in January have allowed the field life to be extended from its original estimate of 2020.

The upgrades made by the company include the replacement of flow lines at the field, which is about 350 kilometres southeast of St. John's.

The board says the proven and probable oil reserve has increased to 506 million barrels from 419 million barrels.

The proven and probable recoverable gas resource estimate has increased to 64 billion standard cubic feet from 53.3 billion, while the reserve for natural gas liquids has increased to 4.6 million barrels from 3.8 million.

The C-NLOPB says it completed its analysis of the reserves last month, based on production data for January and February.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...espan-403.html

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 6:45 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Changes Coming to City Development Fees

http://www.vocm1.com/newsarticle.asp...32631&latest=1
Just wanted to note, VOCM is incredibly slow. This has been known for a really long time, and is already implemented from my understanding.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 12:40 PM

A very nice opinion piece from the CBC this morning. Pretty much agree with everything in the article, and of course most of the comments are ridiculous and insane.

Quote:
Can't see the prosperity? You're soaking in it

I had an interesting conversation with a young woman at a business in downtown St. John's recently. The conversation was about whether things were booming or — given the provincial government's finances — in a bust.

She definitely tilted toward the latter. "I'm not seeing any prosperity around here," she said.

Um, really? I made a vague but imprecise comment about the state of things downtown, but I could have been far more detailed. If I had the nerve, and the time, I would have said to the employee, "Take a good look around you. Where do you think your customers are coming from?"

More to the point, look up and down the downtown areas. Boutiques and shops are catering to parcel-toting customers, luxury sedans and trendy SmartCars are parked next to each other, construction continues on major new buildings, and the place feels as vital as any time as I can remember.

What a different scene from, say, 20 or so years ago, when the downtown St. John's of the early '90s was so quiet that tumbleweeds would not have seemed out of place.

That's the thing about prosperity: few of us would admit to feeling rich since the oil started flowing at Hibernia, but few of us are actually untouched by the overall change in fortunes.....
Read more at:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ption-407.html

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 1:04 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
A very nice opinion piece from the CBC this morning. Pretty much agree with everything in the article, and of course most of the comments are ridiculous and insane.

Read more at:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ption-407.html
The comments make me angry at society.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 1:27 PM

The article is great. Most people are too dumb to see what's right in front of them.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 2:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Fantastic article.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 3:22 PM

I have been living in Ont for 21 years now. Whenever I come home I am just amazed at the amount of activity downtown on any evening of the week. Cars parked all along Harbour Dr, Water St and Duckworth St. People out and about. When I moved away the only nights downtown was bustling was Fri and Sat and that was mainly around George St. Any other evening and Sundays as well downtown was like a ghost town. You can't tell me there hasn't been a change! Most of the ones complaining and posting negative comments are the ones that want everything handed to them on a silver platter and don't realize if you want a piece of the pie you still have to go out and work for it.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
The comments make me angry at society.
I have been trying to stop reading CBC comments lately because I realized it makes me depressed and a bit angry for the remainder of the day.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I have been trying to stop reading CBC comments lately because I realized it makes me depressed and a bit angry for the remainder of the day.
Ditto! I keep reminding myself the vast majority that comment on news websites are the vocal minority. Take Muskrat Falls for example - If you read comments of MF stories you'd seriously think 99% of the province are up in arms over the it. When, in fact, two-thirds of the province are in support of it. Go figure....

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 2:23 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I'm not sure if this should be in another thread, so I will just post it here -

LOCKE: Conservative polling numbers in free fall

http://thechronicleherald.ca/thenova...s-in-free-fall

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 12:10 PM

Do. Not. Read. CBC. Comment. Boards.

It literally discourages me from wanting to ever live in NL again. I realize that's an irrational sentiment, but so, so real.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 7:08 PM

CBC comments will make you lose faith in humanity

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:26 PM

City enjoying good times

Quote:
A St. John’s councillor finds it hard to contain his pride when he discusses the prosperity the region is experiencing.
Armed with the latest economic outlook for the St. John’s metro region (which includes neighbouring communities), Coun. Bruce Tilley flips though pages of the document quoting statistics that paint a positive picture for metro and the many sectors that drive a healthy economy.
“Retail trade is up. Personal income is up. We’ve had the largest increase in median family income (among major Canadian cities between 2006 and 2010) of more than $15,000. Total employment is gone up by 10,000 jobs over the past three years. And St. John’s share of the total provincial (gross domestic product) is about 50 per cent,” he beamed Monday.
“I don’t think people realize this,” Tilley told The Telegram.
Developed twice a year by city staff, the State of the Economy report outlines several projects in St. John’s underway at a cost of more than $500 million (not all projects are listed,) ranging from the construction of new hotels and office buildings to upgrades at St. John’s International Airport and the expansion of the St. John’s Convention Centre.
This type of development alone will put the city in a different ball game, says the chairman of Destination St. John’s.
“It’s going to create a bit of a different market for us,” said Larry Laite.
“(It will) open markets that we couldn’t get into previously because the centre wasn’t big enough. The market right now is thriving from a hoteliers perspective,” he said, adding there are groups who have bookings for the convention centre as soon as it is finished.
Tilley said the tendering deal states that the expansion has to be complete by Dec. 31, 2015.
Laite says Tilley is not blowing the city’s prosperity out of proportion and the completion of the convention centre will help create a destination to be reckoned with.
“We’re in a time that is unprecedented for us,” he said.
“The expansion was kind of like a double-edged sword, though. You need the bigger space to attract the bigger conventions and with the bigger space you need the additional (hotel) capacity,” he said.
Council and developers are attempting to solve the low vacancy rate with the construction of several hotels over the next year or two.
“That is the reason why we went flat out with the encouragement for the hotels to be built,” said Tilley, adding once they are complete the city should be able to accommodate the near-zero vacancy rate visitors experience at peak times in the city.
Tilley says billion-dollar projects such as the Hebron offshore oil development, the Lower Churchill project, the South White Rose extension and the Iron Ore Co. of Canada mine expansion in Labrador all make significant investments in the province and boost the local economy.
“If it weren’t for these developments around the province, many of the St. John’s-based services and supplies that are here, the offshoots of the oil and gas and mining industries wouldn’t be here, and the impact of having them here is significant and instrumental to the city’s development,” he said.
Tilley said it is the spinoffs from these projects that have allowed the city to invest in its own projects, upgrade old infrastructure and make improvements to parks — all of which have helped cast a different light on the city to the world.
“Perceptions are changing and everyone can see it,” he said.
“For many years, the city of St. John’s wasn’t looked at as a key city in Canada. Now it is one of the top cities in the country with lots of things going on in the economy, and the quality of life can’t be touched.
“So all of these things have been able to be enhanced and are continuing to be enhanced with the help of industry and spinoffs,” Tilley said.
It is the construction projects generated indirectly from the mining and oil and gas projects that are helping the city maintain a positive outlook in the eyes of the Atlantic Provinces Economic Council (APEC).
Fred Bergman is senior policy analyst with APEC.
He told The Telegram Monday a review of the economic indicators for the city showed employment was down slightly in March — 0.9 per cent — but it is still early in the year.
“It was a little bit of a slowdown there, but if you have a tough winter in the city it can slow employment growth. But once the snow melts and things thaw and construction starts, employment starts to pick up again,” said Bergman.
One of the indicators Tilley and the city’s report identified as being positive is the fact the region recorded its 11th consecutive population increase.
More than 28,000 people have moved into the metro region since 1986.
Bergman said the population growth looks fairly positive.
“People moving to urban areas creates an economy in and of itself, like a self-sustaining economy, and when you got a strong income growth in the mining, gas and oil sectors that’s going to lead to strong wages, which leads to strong retail sales and a lot of spinoffs from that, which is showing up in the housing market,” he said.
All of this, Tilley added, makes for a healthy, vibrant city not only for the people living in it today, but for their children.
“From our perspective it’s the jobs. There have been so many people leaving, but there’s so much activity now and in the future there will be an opportunity to keep our young people here,” he said.
“I think when you look at all of this you have to look at it from a young person’s perspective as well.
“Is there a future for a young person in this city? Yes, a tremendous future,” Tilley said
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...g-good-times/1

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:45 PM

Here is the link to the report referred to in Jeddy's post

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...r%202013_0.pdf

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 1:19 PM

from the report!

Quote:
“[St. John’s]….feverish activity in the oil
and gas sector has helped lift St. John’s
onto the “A” list of cities…St. John’s
record-high productivity has recently
outpaced that of Calgary and
Edmonton.

City Magnets ll: Benchmarking the Attractiveness of 50 Canadian
Cities Conference Board of Canada, January 2010
Quote:
"As a have-not, there was a lot of
psychological baggage. Now, a
positive change is starting to take
place in the perception of ourselves
as a distinct society. What was
despair, not knowing what’ll happen
because of the fishery closing, has
turned to hope.”

Curtis Andrews in Up! Magazine
Quote:
“…and St. John's
Newfoundland where they
have initiated world class
educational programs to
support their offshore energy
development.

Jack B. Moore, CEO, Cameron
Quote:
“St. John’s…has begun to rival
Halifax as Atlantic Canada’s
hipster nexus
thanks to a
network of artists, musicians
and entrepreneurs.”

Steven English, Arrival Magazine, 2009
http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...r%202013_0.pdf

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 2:56 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

From the report posted above, it's a bit alarming when you look at the production forecast in the long term; but, maybe it's likely that more discoveries will be made in the duration.

Source: http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...r%202013_0.pdf

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
From the report posted above, it's a bit alarming when you look at the production forecast in the long term; but, maybe it's likely that more discoveries will be made in the duration.
Let's hope so. The potential oil-rich basins off the coast of Labrador, plus Shoal Point oil field on the Port-au-Port peninsula (I believe there's been an estimate of over 20 billion barrels - how much is economically producible is another question; also fracking is needed, which is controversial) and NL's position as a service hub for Greenland's offshore oil industry should (and does) create some optimism.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:55 AM

At the same time the other ones were not into production when Hibernia and the earlier projects started. This is just the lifespans of the current projects, I'm SURE more will be discovered/ brought into production as time goes on.

Also as technology improves they extend the life spans. If you look at Hebron it's until 2049 and no real drops happen until 2025 so lots of time to develop more, and use the revenues to develop other industries

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:32 PM

Capital's Growth Catching Attention

There's not much of a story here but I thought it would be good to post.

VOCM
April 26, 2013
Author: Unknown

Quote:
Economic growth in St. John’s is catching the attention in other provinces.

St. John’s Mayor, Dennis O’Keefe, says the major expansion at Power’s Castle Building Supplies is a prime example of growth taking place at the local level.

Power’s Building Supplies was started by Phil and Gertrude Power in 1981 and the company is now run by their sons, P. J. and Fran Power, who have expanded operations substantially.

Mayor O’Keefe, who officially cut the ribbon at the Grand Opening, says the population of the city continues to grow with people re-locating from across the province and Canada. He says there is quite a bit of interest from all across Canada about the growth taking place here.

O’Keefe points out in St. John’s alone there is more then 500-million dollars for projects like new hotels, office buildings, convention center, expansion at the airport and more. He says that doesn’t take into account billion dollar projects like Hebron, Muskrat Falls, and the multi-million dollar investments in the mining sector.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...33526&latest=1

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 11:57 AM

Mile One Booming

VOCM
May 7, 2013
Author: Unknown

Quote:
The numbers have been tallied for Mile One Centre and the St. John's Convention Centre for 2012, and as VOCM's Ariana Kelland reports the once struggling sports and entertainment hub is now booming.

2012 was a big year for Mile One Centre - the St. John's IceCaps attracted thousands of loyal fans to the downtown stadium with big acts like Tom Petty and Keith Urban packing the house. For these reasons, Mile One nearly doubled its entertainment and events revenues last year from 2011. Expenses also rose, but not nearly enough to greatly affect the money being generated from the 86 event days Mile One...
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&ID=33866

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's