HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:43 PM

Vince Barnett was a very popular support actor, remembered mostly for 30's 40's movies. Wiki him and it may ring a bell.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:47 PM

It Ain't Indiana, That's For Sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Here's a familiar location, but I don't think we've seen Julius Shulman photos of it before. It's "Job 030: Burton Schutt, Carl's-at-the-Sea (Santa Monica, Calif.), 1947".

Despite the description, I think the sign above actually says Carl's-At-The-Beach.

This last shot probably gives us the best view of the motor apartments.

All from Getty Research Institute
It's pics like these that always fascinated me. Being from Indiana, I can honestly say there is nothing in our state that would resemble the architecture or landscape seen here.

I remember several years ago driving up to San Jose from Orange County with a native Los Angelean and oohing / ahhhing over the country landscape along the way. The person I was with was astounded that I found it so interesting and why? I told her it looked like every place Roy Rogers and the Lone Ranger was ever filmed that I saw on TV. Had these been shot in Indiana, the cowboys would have been galloping through rows of corn and soybeans. And not a live oak to be seen anywhere. There's a lot more "mid" than "west" in the Midwest, I'm here to say.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 3:50 PM

I'll Have One of Each...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Have we visited the 90-90 Club on NLA?

9090 W. Washington Blvd.

Culver City, California

https://picclick.com/Rare-Vintage-WW...l#&gid=1&pid=2

https://picclick.com/Rare-Vintage-WW...l#&gid=1&pid=3

Cocktail Menu from the night of April 11, 1942

M.B., Sammy, Stan, Eleanor, Sid, Jerry, Al, & Marge

(2nd night of going steady)

close-up: so you can read the writing

detail

40 cents for a martini?? Belly up to the bar, boys, the drinks are on me!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 4:05 PM

Duck Cubes

[QUOTE=oldstuff;7841175]
Quote:
Thanks Paul K. Was the food good?

I never knew pressed duck was served in cubes! -that doesn't sound very appetizing (reminds me of the chicken in Banquet pot pies )

The two Jerry's Joynt photographs you reposted are two of my favorites on the thread. It was good to see them again.

Surprisingly, I just found two photographs pertaining to Jerry's Joynt that I believe are new to NLA.

The first one is poorly composed with the upper half of the photo devoted to a cloudless sky...

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=56917

but if you look in the lower left corner you see Jerry's Joint and a banner advertising an appearance by Anna May Wong to sign photographs.

here's an enlargement

detail

The trouble is...I can't quite figure what part of Jerry's Joynt we're seeing.
Are we looking over the roofs toward Ferguson Alley- (and that's the back and the side of Jerry's Joynt facing the alley?) -if so, strange place for a clock.

& does the wood cornice, painted white with the three lights, belong to Jerry's Joynt or a building just beyond it?

Inquiring minds want to know.
__

In the second photograph we finally get a glimpse inside the joint joynt.

http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics23/00031003.jpg

Group portrait at Jerry's Joynt, located at 500 N. Los Angeles, Chinatown; identified is actor Vince Barnett (seated right of center, unshaven).
The sign on the wall reads "Dan Tobey's Silver Jubilee and Barbecue, Jerry's Joynt, Chinatown."

I don't know who Vince Barnett is (or Dan Tobey!)
__

There is a Vincent Barnett who registered for the draft in WWII who is listed as being employed by a "radio program". He was born in Kansas in 1891 which would make him 58 in 1949, which , by the clothes in the picture, would seem to be around the time that the picture was taken. If he was in radio then he probably would not be someone recognizable in a picture. Maybe.....
It's true. Authentic pressed duck should be in cube form. I've seen sliced pieces of duck that are fried in some kind of batter and passed off as pressed duck, but this is a method that would be attempted by someone not knowing the traditional manner.
I understand that the correct process takes days to get to the finished product. Which is why one doesn't see it anymore on Chinese menus--and especially in the ever-present cheap buffets that seem to populate strip malls.
I bet you can probably find real pressed duck in some of the older Chinese/American restaurants in Chinatown that specialize in traditional Cantonese cooking. If you do see it on the menu, order up those delicious cubes!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 7:00 PM

Sadly, there's only one image in today's Julius Shulman post. It's "Job 2090: Burke, Kober and Nicolais, Haggarty's (Pasadena, Calif.),1955". Although there's only one image, there's also a contact print version if anyone wants more foreground and sky!

Getty Research Institute

Haggarty's was at 350 S Lake Avenue, Pasadena, nearly opposite Bullock's. There are a few memories of the Haggarty's chain at groceteria.com. The building is now the Colonnade Mall.

GSV

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 11:42 PM

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 12:28 AM

re: Eiss family posing in front of an unknown house, Los Angeles County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndihdz View Post
Good evening. This picture reminds me of the Peterson Ranch in Bell Gardens. It had/has a windmill tower beside it and if you look closely you can see a tower beside this one. The fish could be from nearby old San Gabriel river or Rio Hondo river as it now called..as well as L.A. River. I could only find few pictures on their website http://thepetersonfarmhouse.org/
Maybe i am right, maybe i am wrong..but it is worth a shot no?
Good suggestion Cyndihdz. I'll have to check it out.

but I'm afraid we're never going to know the location of the photograph,
so much of the house is hidden by the trees and bushes. -and the lack of clues

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 22, 2017 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
re: Eiss family posing in front of an unknown house, Los Angeles County.

Good suggestion Cyndihdz. I'll have to check it out.

but I'm afraid we're never going to know the location of the photograph,
so much of the house is hidden by the trees and bushes.

__
Darn trees.

Just kidding, i love trees...oh well.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 3:34 AM

I love trees too Cyndi.

Here's another 'mystery' home.

L.A. Cal, Nov 25th 1907

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RP-Los-Angel...UAAOSwhvFZDN3P

On the reverse, Chas. tells how he's 'flying' swallows 60 miles from Riverside back to Los Angeles. (I'm familiar with carrier pigeons...but racing swallows(?)

reverse

If Charles (Chas) happened to be a Bartels (like the addressee) he lived at 248 S. Avenue 20 in 1907.

I found a Charles Bartels in both the 1906 and 1907 directories

lapl

this directory lists his occupation as harnessmaker.

lapl

It's a long shot Charles is a Bartels, but if oldstuff could trace his roots back to Wisconsin we might have the right man.
__

Here's an aerial of 248 S. Ave. 20 today.

google_earth

hmm....could the front 'porch' be the little house in the 1907 postcard?

gsv

It looks like the peak on the roof might have been added later. (it's flat on top in the 1907 pic)

I admit it takes some imagination but I believe it's a possibility.
__

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post

It's true. Authentic pressed duck should be in cube form. I've seen sliced pieces of duck that are fried in some kind of batter and passed off as pressed duck, but this is a method that would be attempted by someone not knowing the traditional manner.
I understand that the correct process takes days to get to the finished product. Which is why one doesn't see it anymore on Chinese menus--and especially in the ever-present cheap buffets that seem to populate strip malls.
I bet you can probably find real pressed duck in some of the older Chinese/American restaurants in Chinatown that specialize in traditional Cantonese cooking. If you do see it on the menu, order up those delicious cubes!
The pressed duck I had back at that Chinese restaurant in Brookings, OR was not in cubes but in strips, but those could be cut into cubes.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 5:27 AM

I don't believe we have visited the Brockton Cottages on NLA.

1225 Brockton Avenue at Wilshire Blvd.
Telephone WLA 33431

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Postcard-Bro...YAAOSwuAVWx5ab

map on reverse

At first glance I thought the cottages had survived.

gsv

until I saw it from the air. (shown below)

google_earth

They're gone. (unless someone attached all the cabins together and flattened the roofs)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 23, 2017 at 1:30 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 6:15 AM

Yet more rain

Two more from the LAT archives, each captioned "Storm-flooded street in a commercial area, [Los Angeles County?], 1933"

The 1932 CD has listings for the Gilford Apartments (1912-1959) and the California Mattress and Feather Co. in the 1800 block of S Hoover, so this picture is looking north from about Washington Blvd.

LAT via UCLA Digital Archives

A curious detail from the upper right-hand corner, looks like a sneaker:

Nothing left to see at that spot today, unfortunately.

And here is a mystery location perhaps the Bunker Hill experts can identify:

The zoomable version of this can be seen here.

No good clues I can see; on the left side of the street there is a grocery score and a sign for "__S Propert[y] for Sale or Trade" and on the right side, a commercial structure with the world "Associated" on top. There are 145 hits for the word "Associated" in the 1932 CD

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
I remember Chicken Delight. I never thought the chicken was that delightful, but it was close by and we had some occasionally
I remember the radio (tv?)commercials...
"Don't cook tonight, call CHICKEN DELIGHT"
Cole Porter eat your heart out.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Here's an interesting slide I saw on ebay a few days ago.

It shows the Tara set from 'Gone With The Wind' at Selznick International in Culver City. [date of the slide is unknown]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-red-bor...cAAOSw~y9ZBOyg

I was intrigued by the buildings (and watertower) in the distance, as well as that little green shed on the far right.

Is that a blade sign or topiary near that large yellow building? (whatever it is it's shaped like a giant penis)

For reference, here's an old map of the lot that shows the location of the Tara set.

http://www.retroweb.com/40acres_gwtw.html

__
The tall dark stack is not a blade sign, it is a stack for the carpenter's shop where they used to burn the sawdust and waste wood. Many lumber yards (old ones) still have them. The lumber mills up north where they turned trees into lumber had huge, cone shaped ones

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 2:47 PM

Cubes Only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
The pressed duck I had back at that Chinese restaurant in Brookings, OR was not in cubes but in strips, but those could be cut into cubes.
I take unreasonable and unjustified umbrage to any pressed duck not being served in cubelike form. Nor is there any limit to my insanity on this subject.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 2:51 PM

Got on board a westbound 747...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
Two more from the LAT archives, each captioned "Storm-flooded street in a commercial area, [Los Angeles County?], 1933"

The 1932 CD has listings for the Gilford Apartments (1912-1959) and the California Mattress and Feather Co. in the 1800 block of S Hoover, so this picture is looking north from about Washington Blvd.

A curious detail from the upper right-hand corner, looks like a sneaker:

Nothing left to see at that spot today, unfortunately.

And here is a mystery location perhaps the Bunker Hill experts can identify:

The zoomable version of this can be seen here.

No good clues I can see; on the left side of the street there is a grocery score and a sign for "__S Propert[y] for Sale or Trade" and on the right side, a commercial structure with the world "Associated" on top. There are 145 hits for the word "Associated" in the 1932 CD
Didn't Albert Hammond once say It Never Rains in California?
I guess it pours...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 3:10 PM

So...in temporarily moving off my exhausting subject of 77 Sunset Strip for this thread, I've been caught up in the first season of My Three Sons, which hasn't been shown in years. Not exactly a Noirish LA subject other than the series was filmed entirely on the back lot of Desilu studios. The family was originally cast as living in the fictional town of Bryant Park in the Midwest, but eventually moved to LA.
I only bring this up because in the 1st season, "Bub" O'Casey is played by William Frawley--or Fred Mertz from I Love Lucy Days. And the oldest son, Mike Douglas, was portrayed by Tim Considine, who was my hero as Frank Hardy in the long-past Hardy Boys serials that ran in rotation on the old Mickey Mouse Club.

The show began to jump the shark when Mike gets married and moves away, so they bring in little Ernie to become the third son. Also, the show moved to CBS from ABC so as to be filmed in color, which took away all the nostalgic atmosphere that black & white tv affords.
Too bad, because the earlier shows had a certain poignancy about them and were actually funny. And could there ever be a better actor in the befuddled but caring father role than Fred MacMurray?

Last edited by Rustifer; Jun 22, 2017 at 3:11 PM. Reason: typos

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 3:22 PM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;7842085]I love trees too Cyndi.

Here's another 'mystery' home.

L.A. Cal, Nov 25th 1907

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RP-Los-Angel...UAAOSwhvFZDN3P

On the reverse, Chas. tells how he's 'flying' swallows 60 miles from Riverside back to Los Angeles. (I'm familiar with carrier pigeons...but racing swallows(?)

reverse

If Charles (Chas) happened to be a Bartels (like the addressee) he lived at 248 S. Avenue 20 in 1907.

I found a Charles Bartels in both the 1906 and 1907 directories

lapl

this directory lists his occupation as harnessmaker.

lapl

It's a long shot Charles is a Bartels, but if oldstuff could trace his roots back to Wisconsin we might have the right man.
__

There is a Charles Bartels in the 1870 Census, living in a family in Milwaukee with a William Bartels who is his younger brother (they are two years apart). Charles was born in Prussia and William in Wisconsin. The postcard is addressed to Dr. William F. Bartels. In 1900 William is an "apprentice dentist". They live on National in Milwaukee. They could be brothers, but Chas addresses him as "friend Will" so maybe not. Not really very much help.

As to the swallows, I don't think he is racing them, just breeding them. He says he "also started to fly homers" which are probably pidgeons. Swallows, as we know from the ones which return to Capistrano each year, are migratory birds

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 4:31 PM

Not that fanciful

Quote:

hmm....could the front 'porch' be the little house in the 1907 postcard?

gsv

It looks like the peak on the roof might have been added later. (it's flat on top in the 1907 pic)

I admit it takes some imagination but I believe it's a possibility.
__
Well, the narrow door between the two women looks perfectly the same.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 6:30 PM

Thanks for the reminder of the previous posts about Haggarty's, GW. I'd forgotten we'd seen it before.

---------------

The houses in these Julius Shulman images look similar to the ones in my Midland Meadows post. They're from "Job 2076: Palmer and Krisel, Midland Park Estates (Fullerton, Calif.), 1955".

I hope Beaudry enjoys the residential "Mid-Centuriness" .

There's no mantelpiece above the fire. That looks like a very weak brick pattern - no overlaps.

How effective was an extractor next to the hob? Nowadays they're generally in some kind of hood. At least it frees up storage space.

All from Getty Research Institute

With no exterior shots, I didn't bother trying to find the exact houses.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos