HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Well...I guess congrats are in order. Now if someone could please help me understand what he meant by "Ecological Paradise" please. I don't understand how that superlative matches the occasion or the future of that site.
My sister lives in a Cypress TX master planned community near Houston that has beautiful lakes with fountains, which I learned were actually retention ponds. If the forecast shows torrential flooding rain event in the future, they can turn a valve to drain the lakes ahead of time to allow for runoff capacity. I'm sure this is a common subdivision design practice but it was new to me.

During the city of Austin council meeting with Tesla, I believe it was Tovo who brought up concerns about flooding concerns for communities down river. And she was hoping that Tesla could provide a preventative solution.

I'm hoping Elon will build a huge 20 acre retention lake with fountains that will attract all kinds of wildlife. A bird watchers paradise.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Well...I guess congrats are in order. Now if someone could please help me understand what he meant by "Ecological Paradise" please. I don't understand how that superlative matches the occasion or the future of that site.
That suggests to me that they’ll be amending the PUD, which would leave the preexisting plans for riverfront parks.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
The starting pay will apparently be $35,000, including benefits.

That is insultingly low.
Well. It depends on what jobs they are including in regard to their statement on salaries and what that 35k job is. If that's the salary for a cafeteria worker, it might make sense. If that's the salary for a factory floor worker, maybe not so much. The average salary is supposed to be over 47k. I don't know what the going rate is for factory workers, but wouldn't think that 47k a year as insulting.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Well. It depends on what jobs they are including in regard to their statement on salaries and what that 35k job is. If that's the salary for a cafeteria worker, it might make sense. If that's the salary for a factory floor worker, maybe not so much. The average salary is supposed to be over 47k. I don't know what the going rate is for factory workers, but wouldn't think that 47k a year as insulting.
Don't know how accurate this information is, but it supposedly is the going wage for an non union auto worker in Alabama which is now a major auto assembly site for several foreign brands. The Tesla wages seem in line with those salaries. https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salarie...ar--in-Alabama

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 4:34 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
47k/year is not enough to qualify for the average 2 bed/1 bath apartment let alone qualify for a mortgage in Austin’s market and support a family of 3 with a stay at home parent. These are the types of jobs which are supposed to support that lifestyle. Yet... they aren’t.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
47k/year is not enough to qualify for the average 2 bed/1 bath apartment let alone qualify for a mortgage in Austin’s market and support a family of 3 with a stay at home parent. These are the types of jobs which are supposed to support that lifestyle. Yet... they aren’t.
A family of three with a stay at home parent (pre-COVID-19) is certainly not a typical lifestyle. I'm not sure I know any family with a stay at home parent that isn't already retired or independently wealthy.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It's not Tesla's responsibility to provide that luxury to anyone. People have to take responsibility for their own destiny. If anyone wants the luxury of allowing one non-working parent in their household, then they should obtain the skills to get a better job. I'm curious, who has made claims that these jobs are the type to allow one parent to stay home? I've followed this story fairly closely and don't remember Tesla ever making that claim.

Let's be clear and honest, we're not giving Tesla anything. The money for the incentives are coming Tesla themselves. It's their own money that's being rebated back to them. Without them there is no money. It is Tesla that's giving us something. They will increase the tax revenues by a net of $8M over 10 years. Therefore we are in no position to expect, and certainly not demand, any entitlements from a private company especially if the money for the incentives aren't coming out of our own pockets.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 2:08 PM

We are getting the series 3 and the semi too.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 3:00 PM

Tesla’s already scheduled a contractor meet and greet for today so they’ll be starting construction almost immediately. And it’s a very aggressive schedule - 18-24 months to get the gigafactory up and running.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 6:09 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergroundman View Post
It's not Tesla's responsibility to provide that luxury to anyone. People have to take responsibility for their own destiny. If anyone wants the luxury of allowing one non-working parent in their household, then they should obtain the skills to get a better job. I'm curious, who has made claims that these jobs are the type to allow one parent to stay home? I've followed this story fairly closely and don't remember Tesla ever making that claim.

Let's be clear and honest, we're not giving Tesla anything. The money for the incentives are coming Tesla themselves. It's their own money that's being rebated back to them. Without them there is no money. It is Tesla that's giving us something. They will increase the tax revenues by a net of $8M over 10 years. Therefore we are in no position to expect, and certainly not demand, any entitlements from a private company especially if the money for the incentives aren't coming out of our own pockets.
You make it sound like it's so easy for someone to take responsibility over their own destiny. It's not for a segment of the population. Sometimes opportunities are more difficult for some than for others. Maybe someone would like to gain better skills but is unable to due to time constraints or family responsibilities. It's a similar talking point to "people who need health insurance should take responsibility themselves to get it", well how in the hell can people if they have health issues that prevent them from working in the first place or are living in a location with no access to mass transit and don't have a reliable way to get to work on their own?

My point is Tesla should at least have a way for employees to work their up the ladder to use the term. Provide skill building opportunities so that they have a way to access them.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
You make it sound like it's so easy for someone to take responsibility over their own destiny. It's not for a segment of the population. Sometimes opportunities are more difficult for some than for others. Maybe someone would like to gain better skills but is unable to due to time constraints or family responsibilities. It's a similar talking point to "people who need health insurance should take responsibility themselves to get it", well how in the hell can people if they have health issues that prevent them from working in the first place or are living in a location with no access to mass transit and don't have a reliable way to get to work on their own?

My point is Tesla should at least have a way for employees to work their up the ladder to use the term. Provide skill building opportunities so that they have a way to access them.
I agree. Good points. And I doubt there will be a shortage of people applying for the 5000 positions. As long as there are merit increases, incentives, and the opportunity to advance, this will be a windfall for many who get in. $37K is not chicken feed.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 9:13 PM

Quote:

My parents immigrated to the states 45 years ago with 10 kids and didn't speak a word of english. My father after years of teaching himself english and working at jobs like this, saved up enough money to buy a small grocery store in the ghetto at the age of 50. We worked that store 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 20 years. My father got up every single morning to open the store and was there to close it every day. All 10 kids went to college by dedicating ourselves to school, some had scholarships, others took out loans. Our story is not unique.

I never said it was easy. This is America. The opportunities are out there. Anything is possible through hard work and self motivation. These middle skilled jobs can be a starting point to build the skills necessary for a better career (inside or outside of Tesla), or a means to save up to start one's own business. No it's not easy to take control of your destiny, but it's better than waiting around expecting others to provide you with what you need.

I do understand that some may have their own unique circumstances that may make it harder for them to move ahead, but I believe anything can be overcome with enough focus and determination. When you hear stories of people walking 10 miles to work because their car no longer works, everything else is just hollow excuses for not trying hard enough.

And to your last point, I encourage you to listen to the Tesla's presentation they gave at the Commissioners meeting and council meeting. They plan on providing opportunities to build skills and to grow in the organization. That being said, starting out in the company, one should not expect to make enough to support a family of 3 with one non-working parent. A high school graduate should not demand to make the same starting pay as someone graduating from college. And to demand it from a private company who will contribute more to this community than the current owners of the property is just greedy.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergroundman View Post
My parents immigrated to the states 45 years ago with 10 kids and didn't speak a word of english. My father after years of teaching himself english and working at jobs like this, saved up enough money to buy a small grocery store in the ghetto at the age of 50. We worked that store 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 20 years. My father got up every single morning to open the store and was there to close it every day. All 10 kids went to college by dedicating ourselves to school, some had scholarships, others took out loans. Our story is not unique.

I never said it was easy. This is America. The opportunities are out there. Anything is possible through hard work and self motivation. These middle skilled jobs can be a starting point to build the skills necessary for a better career (inside or outside of Tesla), or a means to save up to start one's own business. No it's not easy to take control of your destiny, but it's better than waiting around expecting others to provide you with what you need.

I do understand that some may have their own unique circumstances that may make it harder for them to move ahead, but I believe anything can be overcome with enough focus and determination. When you hear stories of people walking 10 miles to work because their car no longer works, everything else is just hollow excuses for not trying hard enough.

And to your last point, I encourage you to listen to the Tesla's presentation they gave at the Commissioners meeting and council meeting. They plan on providing opportunities to build skills and to grow in the organization. That being said, starting out in the company, one should not expect to make enough to support a family of 3 with one non-working parent. A high school graduate should not demand to make the same starting pay as someone graduating from college. And to demand it from a private company who will contribute more to this community than the current owners of the property is just greedy.

Agree 100000% ...but be careful, it's 2020 now and you're going to offend a lot of undeserved entitled people with your "self accountability" mindset.

As you stated, the opportunities are out there for those who seek them.

Bring on Tesla and economic development to this area of the county!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 11:04 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
You make it sound like it's so easy for someone to take responsibility over their own destiny.
Actually, it is. Just own it. Work your ass off in trying to achieve it. It's totally, 100% up to the individual. Nothing is going to be given to you freely - so don't expect it. Entitlement gets you nowhere.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 11:14 PM

Huston-Tillotson University announces partnership with Tesla on learning initiatives, programs for students

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/...-for-students/

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
Huston-Tillotson University announces partnership with Tesla on learning initiatives, programs for students

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/...-for-students/
Doing everything right so far.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Agree 100000% ...but be careful, it's 2020 now and you're going to offend a lot of undeserved entitled people with your "self accountability" mindset.

As you stated, the opportunities are out there for those who seek them.

Bring on Tesla and economic development to this area of the county!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Actually, it is. Just own it. Work your ass off in trying to achieve it. It's totally, 100% up to the individual. Nothing is going to be given to you freely - so don't expect it. Entitlement gets you nowhere.
These two posts seem a bit too... inflammatory? Not to mention off-topic.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Yup.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 1:26 AM

Quote:
One could say the same of yours.......

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Respectfully disagree about those posts being off-topic. While the posts probably could have been written a little more tactfully, the sentiment of "working your *** off trying to achieve" absolutely belongs in a thread about economic development... imo of course. There's no shortage of companies covered in this thread moving to/have moved to Austin and who oftentimes cite motivations for doing so that they want to take advantage of the talent pool and diverse skillset of the workforce here. These types of reasons suggest to me that companies see local Austin workers as the type of people who have taken it on themselves to reach levels of education, skills, etc. worthy of working for some of the most prominent companies in the USA/world. Of course, statements like those from companies are hopefully sincere and not just cover for the companies moving to Texas from more expensive coastal areas to save money.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin