HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Or lease space in a strip mall with parking included. You know, like the Henderson branch!
Do you really think that parking comes to the city for free, Riverman?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:54 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

What does that have to do with anything? I am sure it is paid as part of the rent.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 10:16 PM

Just looking through the EK community committee docs on the Cities website. There's sooo many apartments/condos going in along Peguis. Glad it's not 100% spaced out single family homes in the area. A lot of teh area northeast of Peguis and Ravelston will be single family. But seems like every zoning variance is for apartments or condos at Peguis. Good news IMO.

Of course it's not downtown, etc, etc. But still a good development filling in a a large hole.

Also, part of the new Reenders Drive opened. A very small portion. Removed the old curve in the road coming from Rougeau and made a T intersection with Reenders for the time being. Basically reinstated the old route. I wouldn't be surprised in the full Reenders extension didn't open until next year. Looks like there's a lot of work left to do. The Peguis twinning does look to be coming along. Work is being completed on the expanded intersection with Regent. We'll see what gets done before winter.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 5:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Or lease space in a strip mall with parking included. You know, like the Henderson branch!
The Henderson branch also makes sense because there are a zillion seniors living nearby, sticking a library in a new subdivision in Transcona makes no sense. Putting up any new civic building exclusively for a library is about as smart as private individual opening a movie rental store or TV repair shop, they are all redundant.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 2:22 PM

I thought that the Library in Transcona was going in as part of the new YMCA complex.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 2:41 PM

it looks pretty simple is design....like something you would see on a farm:

The wife and I were talking about this yesterday, unlike her, my take was its a waste of money and the kids will soon be using ebooks anyways.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 3:34 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

What happened to the building code restricting window area?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 3:37 PM

Thanks for posting that, rkspec.

It's very simple, but it has a certain elegance... no one will ever confuse it for a fast food drive through restaurant like some of the other stucco covered crapbox libraries built in recent years.

I wouldn't call it fantastic (e.g. can libraries never be part of an actual urban streetscape anymore?), but it's certainly an improvement.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 3:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
What happened to the building code restricting window area?
From what I have been told by someone with the Province of Manitoba, it is not that simple. For instance, we could see more towers like Hydro, Glasshouse, etc.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post

The wife and I were talking about this yesterday, unlike her, my take was its a waste of money and the kids will soon be using ebooks anyways.
I'm still on the fence about building stand alone libraries as well with the advent and progress of technology. So I agree with your opinion. On the other hand not all people have the luxury of having access to that technology, (yes, schools do), yet. I like my technology but am still partial to books at times and not my ipad, notebook, etc..times change. It will be a thing of the past in the future. More likely, hey, I'm heading down to the archives today, couldn't find a hard copy for my project...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 4:53 PM

I see local libraries as a place of learning. So it's not just a building designed to house books. Rather a place that can provide the public with the resources to learn. So books, computers, areas to work/study, etc. Not just a place to go and take out books by itself. I think this also serves the folks who can't afford computers, e-books, etc

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I see local libraries as a place of learning. So it's not just a building designed to house books. Rather a place that can provide the public with the resources to learn. So books, computers, areas to work/study, etc. Not just a place to go and take out books by itself. I think this also serves the folks who can't afford computers, e-books, etc
I agree. They're still busy places and an important learning resource. I could see their role continuing to change, and it's possible that we may one day need fewer of them. But I don't think lending libraries will disappear from the cityscape in our lifetimes.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 5:10 PM

^^ I have to agree, there still is a place for the centres like the ones were discussing for many reasons as we've noted, but as time progresses, a "Learning Centre", is a more appropriate title. Somewhere you can access information and get help with something academic, not available in schools today, or a place to go, non academic related and access information and hang out if you choose too.

What it comes down to is the simple fact, libraries are slowly disappearing, maybe a resource centre is a better term?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
makes sense when you put it that way. its been a good 20 years since i last pulled an all nighter and it was always in a library as a place for learning.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 7:32 PM

i was trying to find a render of the new YMCA, no luck but i did stumble across this. With Devenoshire Estates and Crocus Meadows already in full swing is this even a possibility?

Quote:
Plans are in place to turn a 16-hectare piece of land in Transcona that's been a messy Public Works yard for many years into a brand-new mixed-use residential development including the new home of the Transcona library.

It was from back in 2014 http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...207330771.html

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 7:47 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
i was trying to find a render of the new YMCA, no luck but i did stumble across this. With Devenoshire Estates and Crocus Meadows already in full swing is this even a possibility?

It was from back in 2014 http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...207330771.html
Just seeing that rendering makes me throw up a little. I'm just glad they didn't do a street-level pic of all the people smiling and drinking their latte's while talking on their phone and walking beside traffic travelling 50-60 km/h.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 7:52 PM

^That was the concept developed by the City for what they'd like to see on the old East Yards site. IIRC, the RFQ/RFP they put out got very little to no response. I don't think there is any intention to have people sipping latte's on the side of Plessis. Just straight up apartments in the parking lot.

The one apartment building in the bottom left of the image is under construction on a very similar, if not identical, layout. The L-shaped building by Chrisland. So a developer must have bit on at least part of the project.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 8:06 PM
BANNED

So have the city and MB Hydro got there act together and decided when lights should be installed so that the completed Reenders extension to Peguis can open or is that on hold until spring?

PS how many vehicles get damaged on the temporary asphalt curbs installed on Peguis where it veers from two lanes to four, back to two and then back to four. Did it not occur to one of the deep thinkers in city planning to completely four lane the roadway when the roadway was completely closed in the summer of 2014!?!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
So have the city and MB Hydro got there act together and decided when lights should be installed so that the completed Reenders extension to Peguis can open or is that on hold until spring?

PS how many vehicles get damaged on the temporary asphalt curbs installed on Peguis where it veers from two lanes to four, back to two and then back to four. Did it not occur to one of the deep thinkers in city planning to completely four lane the roadway when the roadway was completely closed in the summer of 2014!?!
Yeah, I'm thinking that Reenders extension might wait until spring. Looks like they have two lanes completed but the other two looked to need a bunch of work. Maybe they'll open two lanes now.

The new intersection of Peguis and Regent is fully open. But yeah it's ridiculous how Peguis is 4 lanes. Then as you aspproach T-cona Blvd heading north, it reduces to the two northbound lanes only. Then when you get through the intersection, it transitions back over to the southbound lanes only. Wtf is that.

That's why I'm wondering if the intersection upgrade is on the Cities nickel. Or maybe it's tied to the adjacent development on the southwest corner. Either way, it gets a bit dicey when it's dark. Or like yesterday, when there was snow drifting wildly across the roadway. Hard to see where you should be driving.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 9:49 PM

I think the idea was to only open two lanes on Reenders this year, and then the other two next summer. I can see hydro once they get city approval sorted out, putting the lights in with temp overhead lines and coming back in the summer to put the supply lines in underground.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan