HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 10, 2004, 6:45 AM

since when are you working for planning? jerk but seriously - any details to share yet?

planning has already argued for 400' at the SW corner, as i'm sure you know.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2004, 7:14 AM

Aaron got into the SFRA last year for an internship; I get into the SF Planning Department this year. Isn't it great to be a Urban Studies student?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2004, 8:31 AM
Operator No. 9

i wouldn't know yet tony, but i can't wait.

ps, you think you could hook me up with some land use maps or something? a little souvenir from planning...

Old Posted Mar 15, 2004, 8:49 AM

St. Regis crown progress from 101. Lookin' sharp.

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted Mar 15, 2004, 9:11 AM
This is Lucy

whoa, it looks really weird from that angle.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2004, 5:53 PM
Proud upstanding member

I posted a few months ago about how I thought the st regis' choice of cladding and window were poor. The facade seemed too busy - with bands of alternating thicknesses and windows that opened left next to ones that opened right.
Now I have to admit that I really like the (painfully slow) direction that the facade has taken. The corner glass treatments look great and the crown looks like it will really set the whole thing off. The building sort of reminds me of a giant transformer (more than meets the eye.... not zap) ready to unfold itself and walk down mission.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2004, 7:40 PM

I agree craeg, wtf is up with those weird windows? And what about those little platforms on the south west corner of the buildings? Are they gonna be like super tiny patios or something?

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted Mar 17, 2004, 10:01 AM

I was just looking over some figures on the TBT on the MTC website and they said they are expecting the grand opening to be in december of 2007. Something tells me this isn't gonna happen. I mean that's a TON of work to do in the next 3 and a half years and they haven't even decided on what they are gonna do with the rail alignment as far as I know. Imagine if they have to do more environmental reports on a new alignment. Is this figure at all acurate? Or are we looking at a figure somewhere closer to 2010 more realistically?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2004, 10:04 AM
Time in the Quantum Foam

Old Posted Mar 20, 2004, 5:25 AM

Any news on The Century, or should I say the building formerly known as The Century?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2004, 6:37 AM

is it me or do i smell a new york of cali in san fran's future????

Old Posted Mar 20, 2004, 9:54 AM

^ Don't let San Francisco's NIMBYs hear that!

^^ As for the Century, no news yet...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2004, 7:26 AM

I was thinking about making a trip down to 301 Mission this weekend to see what's happening on the site and take a few pics. I thought it was supposed to starts either March or February. Anyone know if the old buildings have been demolished yet?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2004, 7:31 AM

The buildings are all empty. They haven't been demolished yet.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2004, 1:24 PM
HEIGHTS UNKNOWN

San Francisco Rundown

San Francisco has been quiet for much too long. It's good news to know that the City is again on the move, and soon the focus will be off of the TransAmerica Pyramid Building, which is a great building, but it's time for something new to dominate such a proud skyline.

Garry

I looked, and beheld, a towering monolith piercing up to the sky and towards the clouds, with the crown covered with fog, clouds and smoke, seemingly "enshrouded in mystery."

-Garry B. Coston, 2006/April/08-

http://www.freshstartreferral.com - Help us to help the needy & underprivileged.......thanks for your donations!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2004, 6:14 AM

Well, here's some news from the San Francisco Business Times:

Home to roost? San Francisco's developers get a nesting instinct
James Temple

American Financial Realty hopes to sell One South Van Ness to a highrise housing developer. A.F. Evans and Mercy Housing are teaming up to build more than 500 units of housing at Laguna and Haight. The Presidio Trust is close to choosing a developer to convert the Public Health Service Hospital into hundreds of units of housing. Malcolm Properties plans to build a 21-story tower at 631 Folsom St. (See story, below.)

And that's just two weeks' worth of news.
Driven by low interest rates and seemingly insatiable demand, housing projects are popping up all over San Francisco -- and in many cases, very high up.

Here are a few more housing projects that have taken recent strides forward:

Myers Development Co. closed the financing and purchased the land for the 51-story, 423-unit residential condominium project at 80 Natoma St. last week. The $188 million project will now be called the Hemisphere, not the Century Tower. It's slated for completion in August 2006.
Myers secured construction financing through iStar Financial and mezzanine debt financing through CIM Group's CIM Urban Real Estate Fund. Myers, through Myers Natoma Venture, acquired the land from Prudential Real Estate Investors.

CEO Jack Myers said the official ground breaking is now slated for May or June.

"The O'os have already arrived," he said, referring to the traditional Hawaiian pointed sticks that Myers, formerly a Honolulu-based developer, has made a part of each of his San Francisco ground-breaking ceremonies.

Armax International Inc. is once again pushing ahead on 1880 Mission St.
The original plans for the site, which included 183 dwelling units and 26,000 square feet of commercial space, were rejected by the Planning Commission in 2002 amid heavy protests of Mission residents and groups like the Mission Anti-Displacement Coalition.

The latest version of the project includes more housing units, 192, but with a larger proportion of affordable housing and lower prices for the market-rate units, said Agustin Rosas-Maxemin, president of San Francisco-based Armax. The new designs also sliced the commercial use down to 8,000 square feet of neighborhood-serving retail.

"Basically, what we have done is taken the comment we had in the past from the community and come forward with a new design," Rosas-Maxemin said. "We're working very diligently ... to get this project approved."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the Century, or shall I say the Hemisphere is back on track! I've updated the first page...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2004, 6:15 AM

Well, here's some news from the San Francisco Business Times:

Home to roost? San Francisco's developers get a nesting instinct
James Temple

American Financial Realty hopes to sell One South Van Ness to a highrise housing developer. A.F. Evans and Mercy Housing are teaming up to build more than 500 units of housing at Laguna and Haight. The Presidio Trust is close to choosing a developer to convert the Public Health Service Hospital into hundreds of units of housing. Malcolm Properties plans to build a 21-story tower at 631 Folsom St. (See story, below.)

And that's just two weeks' worth of news.
Driven by low interest rates and seemingly insatiable demand, housing projects are popping up all over San Francisco -- and in many cases, very high up.

Here are a few more housing projects that have taken recent strides forward:

Myers Development Co. closed the financing and purchased the land for the 51-story, 423-unit residential condominium project at 80 Natoma St. last week. The $188 million project will now be called the Hemisphere, not the Century Tower. It's slated for completion in August 2006.
Myers secured construction financing through iStar Financial and mezzanine debt financing through CIM Group's CIM Urban Real Estate Fund. Myers, through Myers Natoma Venture, acquired the land from Prudential Real Estate Investors.

CEO Jack Myers said the official ground breaking is now slated for May or June.

"The O'os have already arrived," he said, referring to the traditional Hawaiian pointed sticks that Myers, formerly a Honolulu-based developer, has made a part of each of his San Francisco ground-breaking ceremonies.

Armax International Inc. is once again pushing ahead on 1880 Mission St.
The original plans for the site, which included 183 dwelling units and 26,000 square feet of commercial space, were rejected by the Planning Commission in 2002 amid heavy protests of Mission residents and groups like the Mission Anti-Displacement Coalition.

The latest version of the project includes more housing units, 192, but with a larger proportion of affordable housing and lower prices for the market-rate units, said Agustin Rosas-Maxemin, president of San Francisco-based Armax. The new designs also sliced the commercial use down to 8,000 square feet of neighborhood-serving retail.

"Basically, what we have done is taken the comment we had in the past from the community and come forward with a new design," Rosas-Maxemin said. "We're working very diligently ... to get this project approved."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the Century, or shall I say the Hemisphere, is back on track! I've updated the first page...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2004, 10:02 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Construction photo updates: new Federal Building, Bloomingdales/SF Centre addition, Saint Regis tower, and 199 New Montgomery Street.

New Federal Building, Mission Street:

The project keeps rising slowly, and it's still too early to get a good sense of the building to be:

Bloomingdales Western Flagship/SF Centre addition

Demolition of several smaller buildings along Mission St. is complete and foundation is being laid for new structure, century-old stained-glass rotunda is wrapped and appears ready to be raised up another two floors, interior light court now visible from Mission St.:

The Saint Regis

Completion of this project was reportedly slowed down to allow the hotel market to recover from post-9/11 doldrums, but it seems momentum is now accelerating (the St. Regis is now officially hiring hotel/restaurant workers). It shouldn't be long now...

199 New Montgomery

This small project at the end of New Montgomery is looking good. It's unusual in that it is an entirely-residential project (although there will likely be some sort of streetside retail) in the Financial District:

Old Posted Apr 11, 2004, 10:10 PM

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life fflint. It has been neglected for too long because the Califorum is where all the action is.

BTW does anyone besides me think that the Paramount has a really cool design?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2004, 10:20 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

You and I, alone, seem to like the Paramount, Tekno!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations