HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 12:45 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Glad I'm not the only one lol. I just mailed in my Democratic primary ballot, and it took me a week to end up not voting for any one of the Dem candidates for governor.

This Nov I plan on voting Rauner only because he is the lesser evil. The fact that he is openly against Mike Madigan doesn't hurt.
Seems like a whole lot of us can agree on this. Weird, really weird! For the record, so far as the whole pension fiasco is concerned, there's probably no way in hell that Madigan would agree to anything Rauner would propose, pretty much akin to what Obama faced with Ryan and McConnell. Therefore, it pretty much appears that Madigan's gotta go before anything can really get done with the pensions. At least that's my thought based upon my reading of IL politics since I've moved to Chicago.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 2:42 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Glad I'm not the only one lol. I just mailed in my Democratic primary ballot, and it took me a week to end up not voting for any one of the Dem candidates for governor.

This Nov I plan on voting Rauner only because he is the lesser evil. The fact that he is openly against Mike Madigan doesn't hurt.
This is correct.

I can never vote for an Illinois Democrat. They are a different breed of Democrat. They are evil snakes who belong in a giant gang whose whole purpose is to leech the taxpayers dry all for their own benefit. They achieve this by throwing a bone to minorities and liberals with the messaging in their ads.

So far this strategy has worked because black and Hispanics still largely vote for them. Look at that fuckhead Berrios—the most slimy bastard ever. But when you see his commercials all he does is talk about how he fought the NRA. Really? You shifted the property tax burden from the wealthy to the poor for all these years, personally benefitted, and that’s all that you have to say?

Same goes for Pritzker. He’s obviously a major putz. Billionaire from the Hyatt family who’s bored and wants a Government position. He himself benefitted immensely from the property tax game. He doesn’t get affected by the progressive income tax hikes he is proposing because he mostly pays Capital Gains. But there he is in every commercial, with all sorts of black people, fighting to make sure “the rich pay their fair share.” And I’m certain the majority of them will vote for him. Recent polls reportedly already show this.

Sad.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 1:58 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I can never vote for an Illinois Democrat. They are a different breed of Democrat. They are evil snakes who belong in a giant gang whose whole purpose is to leech the taxpayers dry all for their own benefit. They achieve this by throwing a bone to minorities and liberals with the messaging in their ads.
This isn't just an Illinois thing. Despite what Bernie Sanders says, money wins elections and the "real people of America" don't provide campaign donations, so both parties have to grovel at the feet of rich people and corporations. The Dems are just as bad as Republicans. They just pick different industries to suck up to...

Ironically the appeal of voting for a rich candidate is that they can self-fund campaigns and potentially they may not be beholden to other rich people, corporations, or party leadership the way middle-class candidates are. Most of our great presidents were independently wealthy. Our current president is the exception to the rule...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:48 AM

Down goes berrios!!!!

All hail kaegi!

Madigan you're next

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:16 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Suck it, berrios!

So very, very happy.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 5:33 AM

^ unfortunately two "additional revenue" seekers appear to have knocked off Dems that try to hold the tax line. Not good.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:43 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Also, thank you Cook County! Now, LEGALIZE IT! There's the 'additional revenue' generator right there.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:59 PM

Rauner wants another term but I see little evidence that a 2nd term would be any better than the first one, just four more years wasted of him trying to take down Madigan. I'm no fan of Madigan at all but we can't sit on our asses for 8 years just to enable Rauner's quest that will probably still end in failure.

JB, unlike Rauner, will also legalize if the IL leg puts a bill on his desk. We could also use the money and WI/IN will probably never legalize on their own so we can take all their resident's cash too.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Suck it, berrios!

So very, very happy.
This. Glad Berrios is done.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Rauner wants another term but I see little evidence that a 2nd term would be any better than the first one, just four more years wasted of him trying to take down Madigan. I'm no fan of Madigan at all but we can't sit on our asses for 8 years just to enable Rauner's quest that will probably still end in failure.

JB, unlike Rauner, will also legalize if the IL leg puts a bill on his desk. We could also use the money and WI/IN will probably never legalize on their own so we can take all their resident's cash too.
rauners gone. he was barely even able to hold off Ives. he got less votes in the primary than the 3rd place Democratic gubernatorial candidate. more Democratic ballots have been cast in the City of Chicago than Republican ballots in THE ENTIRE STATE OF ILLINOIS

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
rauners gone. he was barely even able to hold off Ives. he got less votes in the primary than the 3rd place Democratic gubernatorial candidate. more Democratic ballots have been cast in the City of Chicago than Republican ballots in THE ENTIRE STATE OF ILLINOIS
Yes, he doesn't appear to stand a chance

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:34 PM

im most upset about Lipinski seeming to eek back in. What the hell, 3rd District.

also, Cook County turnout for JB is insane to me.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:41 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
im most upset about Lipinski seeming to eek back in. What the hell, 3rd District.

also, Cook County turnout for JB is insane to me.
Yeah, I was rooting for Newman, as Lipinski is a vile toad.

Although I am happy that Sean Casten will be the one to challenge Roskam...who is even more vile toad. He's a scientist (biochemical engineer) who seems pretty together.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:56 PM
The City

Quote:
Not necessarily true.

Barely winning a primary sometimes bodes well in a general election.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:57 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Not necessarily true.

Barely winning a primary sometimes bodes well in a general election.
Examples? Precedents?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 5:00 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
^ unfortunately two "additional revenue" seekers appear to have knocked off Dems that try to hold the tax line. Not good.
If Pritzker wins, watch our debt balloon by another 200%

"Rich" households making $120k per year will see their income taxes go up.

Meanwhile, Prtizker's own taxes (capital gains) won't go up a dime.

And there, my friends, is how the wealthy pits the common folk against each other. Have the poor, middle class, and upper middle class fighting for scraps, while the true wealth hoarders (i.e. Pritzker) sit unscathed.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 5:23 PM

Yeah, I can't vote for more of the same of decade after decade of fiscal mismanagement. State Dems seem completely opposed to any cost cutting. I'm sure Rauner will lose, but I'm voting for him.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 5:49 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Examples? Precedents?
The idea being that Rauner is not very popular with Conservative Republicans, but may be able to win over moderate Democrats in the general election, knowing that the hardcore Republicans will obviously never vote for Pritzker.

Remember that what pissed off Republicans about Rauner was his failure to veer too far to the right on social issues (abortion, contraception, etc) thus he isn't as toxic in a general election where he obviously has to win some Chicagoland Democratic votes.

I think he toed the line here quite well. We will see if it leads to success or not.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 5:54 PM

Yeah, if Ives was the nominee there is no way in hell I would vote for her.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 9:24 PM
1st Ward

Rauner has my vote. The only Democrat that might have possibly garnered by vote would have been Kennedy, and I still wouldn't have been happy about that.
Although an Ives victory would have probably forced me to vote for any Democrat, even JB.

I plan on keeping to my political strategy that I've had ever since I've been of voting age; Vote Democratic in the national elections, and Republican in the state/local elections. At least until the Democratic Machine is finally dismantled in this state.

At least Berrios is history...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest