HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
To be honest, what I'm really wondering is if it'll still be okay for me to drive the half hour to Waterloo to get the best tacos outside of the GTA (suadero or al pastor at The Cactus) and num-num-num them in my car out front?

If they're saying that they won't be stopping cars on the roads, that they'll mainly be going by tips and suspicious behaviour, then I should be safe, shouldn't I?

Because I don't think I can go 28 days without those tacos.
Why would you care? There are no penalties for being out and about, even if the police do stop you.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 11:44 PM

I'd be shocked if the police started doing ride checks, but nevertheless my work gave me a letter saying that my work is essential and cannot be done from home.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 11:59 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
I'd be shocked if the police started doing ride checks, but nevertheless my work gave me a letter saying that my work is essential and cannot be done from home.
same thing with my friend's dad and uncle

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 12:57 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Why would you care? There are no penalties for being out and about, even if the police do stop you.
Well, the main message they're pushing is to stay at home unless completely necessary, isn't it? I may claim that tacos in another city are a necessity of life, but I'm not sure how that would go over with the fuzz.

In any case, I just got back from doing precisely what I was worried about doing, and the tacos were delicious, as always. And everything seemed pretty normal, save for the mainland Chinese jagoff at the supermarket who, I kid you not, reached into his pocket for his vape and pulled down his mask to take a huff while his groceries were being rung through by the store employee.

He was standing to the side of the plexiglass shield, and he "politely" let the exhaled smoke gently waft over the employee instead of blowing it directly in her face. Like you would have done in the previous century when smoking everywhere was normal.

I could barely believe it as I stood there waiting in line, I was so in shock. He paid and left the store before I could recover from my astonishment. He drove off in a BMW worth $100 grand, of course.

Fuggin' hell...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 2:13 PM
sick transit, gloria

I wouldn't worry about getting tacos or anything else, really. In the very, very slim chance you are stopped all you have to say is that you are on essential trip, end of story.

An acquaintance of mine is a police officer in one of the larger forces in Ontario (not Toronto but close) and said they have been given standing orders to ignore the "stay at home" order. And judging by the traffic on the main road I look out over nothing has really changed in terms of travelling patterns. Also heard plenty of stories of people forced to go into the office and when they called MOL were basically told "too bad, employers make the decision".

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 1:55 AM
I am a typical

The Council of Broadcasters of Ontario or some shit started airing a commercial on many radio stations to inform people of the existence of Alert Ready Amber Alerts and the commercial features the entire length of the alert in it. As if we don't know what it sounds like.

It's like they're fucking trolling us?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 2:44 AM

I know at least five people now who got tickets of a grand and a half for violating the curfew, and one of them got ticketed twice already (the second ticket was some three or five grand; "repeat offense").

I'm not setting foot outside in the evenings regardless of the reason unless I run it by the police dept first and get the name and number of an officer on record giving me the green light.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 3:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Another one. Child abduction, Bayfield.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 3:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Here's hoping they find the kid.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

of course.

It just went off again. possibly the most horrible sound in the universe, aside from Trump's fetid voice.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:18 PM

I got 2 alerts - about 30 minutes apart.

I was talking on a work call and had to close the alerts right away as it was loud - so I didn't get to read either of them. Was the 2nd alert an update to the situation?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:25 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Weird - both my co-worker and I just got it, but with no sound. Here I was thinking that maybe they'd finally opted to send out silent amber alerts!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Weird - both my co-worker and I just got it, but with no sound. Here I was thinking that maybe they'd finally opted to send out silent amber alerts!
My phone is set for vibrate only anyway, and that's all it did with the Amber Alerts today. It was also weird to have the phone and the radio actually be in synch for the alert today. Usually my phone goes off a minute or so later.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I got 2 alerts - about 30 minutes apart.

I was talking on a work call and had to close the alerts right away as it was loud - so I didn't get to read either of them. Was the 2nd alert an update to the situation?
The second one had the license plate number. The first just said "black Mercedes SUV".

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 11:52 PM

It will be insensitive but I don't fucking care about one lost child. Emergencies should be about emergencies, a lost child, usually estranged by the other parent, is not.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 11:55 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

A child + estranged parents usually imply injury (physical) and sometimes death, though, so it may be seen as an emergency.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 12:27 AM

My household all got two alerts today, though it was one English one French, about thirty minutes apart. Answer soon as the first went off, we about ‘maybe this will be ana Douala emergency this time!’

I’m sorry to say, as soon as I saw AMBER ALERT, I closed it. It’s a lockdown, and we don’t live anywhere near Bayfield. And when the second one came we didn’t even glance at it before closing. Could’ve been a tornado warning but the boy’s cried wolf too many times for me. Sorry if that makes me (and probably five million others) selfish.

At least it was in the daytime though, they’re learning!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 12:28 AM
Starring as himself

They don't seem to blare out anymore. I heard some faint beeping a couple of times that sounded like a smoke-detector "weak battery" warning. Given that I've barely left the building in 364 days I don't think I'd be of much use.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:32 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
My household all got two alerts today, though it was one English one French, about thirty minutes apart. Answer soon as the first went off, we about ‘maybe this will be ana Douala emergency this time!’

I’m sorry to say, as soon as I saw AMBER ALERT, I closed it. It’s a lockdown, and we don’t live anywhere near Bayfield. And when the second one came we didn’t even glance at it before closing. Could’ve been a tornado warning but the boy’s cried wolf too many times for me. Sorry if that makes me (and probably five million others) selfish.

At least it was in the daytime though, they’re learning!
Why was the name of the capital of Cameroon in an Ontario Amber alert?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Why was the name of the capital of Cameroon in an Ontario Amber alert?
That is where the last abduction occurred. Gotta cast a wide net.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada