HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Another Downtown Restaurant might be closings its doors. Mama's Restaurant located at 806 Main Street's owners seem to be wanting to sell the building either with, or without the bussiness.

I do hope if does not leave another empty downtown spot for months, or even years.
Moncton restaurant serves free meals to homeless every afternoon
Syrian immigrant Elian Elias says feeding people is a way to give back to the community that he loves
By Vanessa Blanch, CBC News Posted: Jan 27, 2018 10:52 AM AT Last Updated: Jan 27, 2018 10:52 AM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...less-1.4503452

Reading this article it doesn't sound like the owner is in any financial difficulty, and, since he is serving meals to the homeless, I can't imagine him closing or moving his restaurant either. This is a deed he is doing out of the goodness of his own heart. Thank you Mr. Elias.

Maybe he is interested in selling the building to generate cash flow he could otherwise invest in his other businesses. In such a case he could still keep the business operating in the same location but pay rent to the new owner. In any event, I doubt that Mama's Restaurant is going anywhere.........

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 12:08 PM

I stopped into Mama's one day and asked for the two last slices of pizza in the warmer.
"They aren't very fresh," he says. "Here, take them for free."
My daughter is very thin. She went in for a slice and he gave her the slice and a pasta salad. She said she didn't order pasta salad.
|ts no charge, he says. You are too skinny lol!
He's an awesome dude and, indeed, doesn't seem to me to be hurting financially.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I stopped into Mama's one day and asked for the two last slices of pizza in the warmer.
"They aren't very fresh," he says. "Here, take them for free."
My daughter is very thin. She went in for a slice and he gave her the slice and a pasta salad. She said she didn't order pasta salad.
|ts no charge, he says. You are too skinny lol!
He's an awesome dude and, indeed, doesn't seem to me to be hurting financially.

I did catch that it was just a strange time since there where talks of another business aquisition, and plans to be part partner in another, and both deals fell off the face of the earth. His plans to do something with the owner of the old cosmo complex then it had been put up for sale, and then followed Mama's. So it was just the timming that made it look like there might be financial issues there.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 10:52 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I was watching the news tonight and it was said there are about 70 old rooming houses in downtown Moncton that are going to be torn down. That will leave many empty lots. I hope this doesn't turn into a lot of parking lots.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 11:07 PM

I saw that too.
That number can't possibly be correct. Can it?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 11:28 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

70 rooming houses is an awful lot. They must have meant 70 total units?

Either way, that's a lot of people who'll need to find new homes, assuming the buildings are still occupied.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 12:16 AM

As I recall, he said "70 waiting for the wrecking ball, the vast majority of them downtown."
That's just from memory and I stand to be corrected.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I was watching the news tonight and it was said there are about 70 old rooming houses in downtown Moncton that are going to be torn down. That will leave many empty lots. I hope this doesn't turn into a lot of parking lots.
Quote:
I saw that too.
That number can't possibly be correct. Can it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
70 rooming houses is an awful lot. They must have meant 70 total units?

Either way, that's a lot of people who'll need to find new homes, assuming the buildings are still occupied.
Quote:
As I recall, he said "70 waiting for the wrecking ball, the vast majority of them downtown."
That's just from memory and I stand to be corrected.
there where at one point over 200 rooming houses in the city. Keep in mind the city was also counting the long term stay motels in that number since they are indeed monthly rentals without access to a full kitchen therefore can't be seen as bachelor apartments (unlike the ay they are listed). I'm surprised only 70 of these properties have been slated for demolition since I know of 100's that should have been demolished already but are still being rented out.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 11:32 AM

AS I suspected, the figure of 70 boarding houses awaiting destruction is complete nonsense.
According to the City of Moncton and City of Dieppe Housing Needs Assessment which was released just a few months ago, there are 38 rooming houses in all of the city of Moncton.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 1:44 PM

"There are over 70 boarded up buildings in the city that are ready to be demolished. The majority are in the downtown core, but there are others in neighbourhoods throughout the city."

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/demoliti...ayed-1.3780903

Over 70 buildings, not all are rooming houses.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 2:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Not all rooming houses, and not all in the downtown core. There are other neighbourhoods which are older, but not in the downtown where such houses could be found. As such, there might not be as much concentration of demolition in specific neighbourhoods as some people might fear. I don't fear we are on the cusp of becoming Detroit.........

Still, 70 houses is a lot. The housing stock in Moncton is no worse than in a lot of Maritime cities. It would seem to me that Moncton is being more aggressive and pro-active concerning this problem than some of our sister cities.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Not all rooming houses, and not all in the downtown core. There are other neighbourhoods which are older, but not in the downtown where such houses could be found. As such, there might not be as much concentration of demolition in specific neighbourhoods as some people might fear. I don't fear we are on the cusp of becoming Detroit.........

Still, 70 houses is a lot. The housing stock in Moncton is no worse than in a lot of Maritime cities. It would seem to me that Moncton is being more aggressive and pro-active concerning this problem than some of our sister cities.
Add to that the 35 Vacant properties the city has deemed unsafe, and plan to demolish althought acording to the T&T some of those adresses have been renovated, and acording to sources I talked to the Reno'd properties have been done so with Permits, and all reno's had been aprooved, and signed off on by an inspector.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 2:33 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Quote:
AS I suspected, the figure of 70 boarding houses awaiting destruction is complete nonsense.
According to the City of Moncton and City of Dieppe Housing Needs Assessment which was released just a few months ago, there are 38 rooming houses in all of the city of Moncton.
Forgive me. I misunderstood the the news article.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
"There are over 70 boarded up buildings in the city that are ready to be demolished. The majority are in the downtown core, but there are others in neighbourhoods throughout the city."

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/demoliti...ayed-1.3780903

Over 70 buildings, not all are rooming houses.
Ah, thank you for that. That makes more sense.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:44 PM

It's strange... but I drive Queen street 4x a day and I have to admit... the corner of Highfield and Queen looks much BETTER since those 3 were torn down recently... it's a vacant lot but you can see the other, nicer houses now.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 6:26 PM

Any chance someone has a shot of the three units that came down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
It's strange... but I drive Queen street 4x a day and I have to admit... the corner of Highfield and Queen looks much BETTER since those 3 were torn down recently... it's a vacant lot but you can see the other, nicer houses now.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 6:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
Any chance someone has a shot of the three units that came down?
Try Google Street View

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 11:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
It also makes for a nice well situated building site for a town home development or small apartment building too, and it's only two blocks form the events centre. I hope these lots don't remain vacant too long.......

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It also makes for a nice well situated building site for a town home development or small apartment building too, and it's only two blocks form the events centre. I hope these lots don't remain vacant too long.......
THE lot that formerly held the church at Cameron/ St George has been vacant forever. there are plenty of lots that are available and under developed in the core if you look around. Hopefully this changes with time.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Keatings Tobacco has now officially moved into their new location:

DMCI photo

Their old location had more character.......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces