HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 4:06 PM

Well, I admit that what MonctonRad lists do fill rooms but the common denominator I see is Summer. In Winter there are a few events such as Christmas at the Coliseum, hockey tournaments but very little else- specifically for Sunday through Thursday.

It's clear I'm in the minority, but I see no need for all these new hotels. It would be great if there could be seasonal properties, but instead we go all in for 3-4 months of heavy occupancy followed by 7-8 months of what, 35-40% occupancy?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Sports tourneys fly under the radar. The late Ian Fowler showed me a study once about these tournaments' tremendous impact on hotel occupancy rates. And thats exactly why Ian developed a strategy to make Moncton the place to host these tournaments.
I wish I could remember the economic impact figures and occupancy rate numbers generated by minor sports tourneys, but it was some time ago.
These things don't attract spectators in any great numbers, but when you bring in 100 or many hundreds of moms and dads and kids for little Bobby's hockey tournament, it's HUGE.
THus my support for more hotel rooms.
Couldn't agree more. I've managed many many minor hockey teams booking hotels, restaurants and activities and I can promise you that even just house league teams spend a minimum of $10k on an out of town tournament weekend just in hotels and food (not even including extra activities like a QMJHL game or Skyzone or shopping for the moms, liquor store for the dads etc) That's per team so if you have 10 out of town teams for a tournament you're having a good weekend.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 4:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This was the genius of Ian Fowler. He realized (before most did) the importance of sports tourism, especially in non-peak times of the year as an economic generator. His input was crucial in the building of the four-ice centre, which is a flagship for organized minor hockey tournaments in the city. He built on that with his other initiatives such as the Magnetic Hill Concert site.

Ian was a true visionary. He saw the big picture. Just think if he were still alive........

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 11:44 PM

From someone who relies on hotels once in a while when visiting, its not always the big events that fills the rooms, we sometimes tried (a bit last minutes sometimes i will admit) to book and everything was full and then we wonder why since no big events where going on, comes to find out a multitude of smaller events where taking place in and around the city and filling the place up.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 3:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I guess Jean's Restaurant on St. George Street has been purchased and will become a Korean restaurant.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 12:11 PM

Wow. f I was Jamie Hynes I'd be planning my next expansioin asap.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Wow. f I was Jamie Hynes I'd be planning my next expansioin asap.
By expansion do you mean expanding there location, or adding new locations.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 1:09 PM

Old jail building

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I noticed on the weekend that there is a SOLD sign on the old jail property on Assumption.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 1:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I noticed on the weekend that there is a SOLD sign on the old jail property on Assumption.
No, That is new.

Interesting. That was always my preferred location for the new RCMP HQ. I wonder if the city bought it. If so, I would think some type of announcement would have been made.........

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
No, That is new.

Interesting. That was always my preferred location for the new RCMP HQ. I wonder if the city bought it. If so, I would think some type of announcement would have been made.........
I know it was previously sold to a private developer If it's sold to the city could it still potentially be the New city police station?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 3:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

In the T&T today that the new owner of the old Acadian Lines terminal off of St. George Street is Bill Hennessy, one of the investors behind FiveFive Queen.

The purchase price was slightly over $1M. Hennessy apparent stated to the paper that "development plans are underway".

It is encouraging to see that a serious developer has purchased the Acadian Lines property, but if history is to be our guide, there may still be a number of years before we see any activity on the site. Still, I now have hope that we may eventually see a quality development on this site and that the built up area in the east end of the downtown core may continue to slowly crawl northward towards St. George Street.

Downtown Moncton has always been disturbingly linear. It's about time that the downtown developed some breadth as well.....

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 6:43 PM

Does the Marriott own the parking lot in behind their hotel on Main St.? It seems like prime real estate for development.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 7:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutDog View Post
Does the Marriott own the parking lot in behind their hotel on Main St.? It seems like prime real estate for development.
Blue Cross I believe. Yes, that would be a wonderful development opportunity and, given the sweep of Assumption Blvd around that lot, could make for an architecturally very interesting development if anything were ever to happen there.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 7:33 PM

I believe the Marriott has underground parking, although I could not confirm this with a quick peek on their website.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 8:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
I believe the Marriott has underground parking, although I could not confirm this with a quick peek on their website.
They have a small parking garage immediately behind the hotel. I believe ScoutDog was referring to the surface parking lot in behind that.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 10:26 AM

I'm hearing this new development with have an 'ultra-modern' look and feel. Still no word on exactly what will be built.

Quote:
In the T&T today that the new owner of the old Acadian Lines terminal off of St. George Street is Bill Hennessy, one of the investors behind FiveFive Queen.

The purchase price was slightly over $1M. Hennessy apparent stated to the paper that "development plans are underway".

It is encouraging to see that a serious developer has purchased the Acadian Lines property, but if history is to be our guide, there may still be a number of years before we see any activity on the site. Still, I now have hope that we may eventually see a quality development on this site and that the built up area in the east end of the downtown core may continue to slowly crawl northward towards St. George Street.

Downtown Moncton has always been disturbingly linear. It's about time that the downtown developed some breadth as well.....

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 2:28 PM

Quote:
I'm hearing this new development with have an 'ultra-modern' look and feel. Still no word on exactly what will be built.
Quote:

If I'm not mistaken he is also the one who purchased the Empty lot in front of the old Acadian lines bus station facing St George.

If it is the case there might be a nice mixed use development there. with Commercial in front, and residential behind it.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 2:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
If I'm not mistaken he is also the one who purchased the Empty lot in front of the old Acadian lines bus station facing St George.

If it is the case there might be a nice mixed use development there. with Commercial in front, and residential behind it.
That's a good thought. In any event, it sounds like there might be something interesting in the works for there..........

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 3:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

Quote:

This image shows the relationship of the Acadian Lines property to FiveFive Queen, and also to the City Hall complex, the Marriott Hotel and the Blue Cross Centre.

One can easily see how development of the Acadian Lines property would give some much needed breadth to the downtown core. It is certainly very intriguing that the new owner of the Acadian Lines property is also a major investor in FiveFive. If ScoutDog is correct and that something "ultramodern" may be built here, this could be a real game changer for the east end. I wonder if what will be developed here will be complementary in any way to FiveFive. We'll certainly have to keep a close eye on this one........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 13, 2018 at 4:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 4:50 AM

It would be really nice if the “ultra modern” building at the former Acadian Lines had a significant presence on St. George Street

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces