HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 12:16 AM

Wow, great development just announced at Moncton Council Meeting tonight for Parcel B across from the Event Centre.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 12:17 AM

The Crowne plaza will be in need for some major outer upgrades to match all the newer developments around it! Also to bad they went with 4 stories, instead of 5 or 6, but that’s not important, the development itself is.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 12:46 AM

Interesting... from the logo of the proposed hotel, I can clearly distinguish the Hyatt Place logo. If this is true, this would be a significant addition to the Moncton market. However, the Hyatt Place brand is not the upscale and full-service level of a Hyatt Regency, Park Hyatt or Hyatt Grand, regardless the Hyatt brand has a certain cachet not found with certain other brands. What is also intriguing is that the project was named as the Regency Hotel by the media. In any event, there is no Hyatt branded hotel east of Montreal, so this is significant several ways...

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Interesting... from the logo of the proposed hotel, I can clearly distinguish the Hyatt Place logo. If this is true, this would be a significant addition to the Moncton market. However, the Hyatt Place brand is not the upscale and full-service level of a Hyatt Regency, Park Hyatt or Hyatt Grand, regardless the Hyatt brand has a certain cachet not found with certain other brands. What is also intriguing is that the project was named as the Regency Hotel by the media. In any event, there is no Hyatt branded hotel east of Montreal, so this is significant several ways...
As announced tonight at City Hall, this will be a Hyatt Regency hotel.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 1:04 AM

The logo says otherwise and a Hyatt Regency is usually a very large hotel with hundreds and hundreds of rooms. I highly doubt that it will be Hyatt Regency, if so it will be the smallest Hyatt Regency property in the world with only 120 rooms. My money is on a Hyatt Place.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Dec 19, 2017 at 1:17 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 1:26 AM

Whatever it is going to be I'm glad to see there are plans for that lot instead of it being empty for the longest time to be used as a getto style parking lot.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 2:02 AM

One of the three homes on Gordon was demolished today. The others will be gone shortly. Ashford "hopes to build a commercial property on the site with residential space on top."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...cton-1.4455042

Interesting read on how everything unfolded. Landlord didn't care and let things deteriorate... there's quite a few spots downtown with similar circumstances.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 2:14 AM

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 2:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Great stuff. I'm on call tonight and just saw the update now.

Regardless of whether it is a Hyatt Regency or not, the Hyatt brand is an impressive one, and this will complement the events centre quite well.

I was hoping for some height on this parcel of land, and am a little disappointed that this building will only be four stories, but this will be a great addition for the downtown!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 2:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here are a couple of less fuzzy images (from the T&T)

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 2:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The T&T article confirms it will be a Hyatt Place hotel.

There will be a 5,000 sq ft branded restaurant as part of the project. It sounds like they have a brand in mind, but aren't ready to reveal it yet.

There will also be 1,500 sq ft of retail (probably a lobby store of some kind)

Construction will be complete in 2020, not 2021 as previously suggested.

The new building will generate over $400K in tax revenue on a yearly basis.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I was hoping for some height on this parcel of land, and am a little disappointed that this building will only be four stories, but this will be a great addition for the downtown!
It's too bad that the periphery of downtown is getting large hotel proposals (Hilton and possibly Double Tree) and this lot, probably the most prominent intersection within the core, gets the smallest and shortest. Even just a couple additional floors would have made a big difference and have it more on scale with adjacent buildings (Crown Plaza, EC and Dominion building). Still, it is way better than an empty lot right across from the Events Centre I guess.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:14 AM

I knew it was a Hyatt Place and not a Hyatt Regency, big difference. I'm a little disappointed too about it being only four stories, there was potential for this to be around 8-10 stories, it's a missed opportunity IMHO, way too short for this intersection. The streetscape is nice enough however, looks fine from Main Street. I just hope that the parking will be secured because everyone will want to park here when there's an event at the Centre.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm intrigued by the 5,000 sq ft "branded" restaurant. Corey Craig is doing this development, and there's no one around southeast NB that knows the food service industry better than they do. With this being a Hyatt Hotel, you can be damned sure that this will be a higher end restaurant. Baton Rouge perhaps????

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
One of the three homes on Gordon was demolished today. The others will be gone shortly. Ashford "hopes to build a commercial property on the site with residential space on top."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...cton-1.4455042

Interesting read on how everything unfolded. Landlord didn't care and let things deteriorate... there's quite a few spots downtown with similar circumstances.
I have never had faith in Ashford, I feel like they always talked but never build, in Moncton at least.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 10:18 AM

the $3, 000,000.00 the city receives for the land of the old Eaton's parking lot, will that money go against the cost of the Centre? If so that is 4.2 million they have raised on the property in the last week to offset costs.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm intrigued by the 5,000 sq ft "branded" restaurant. Corey Craig is doing this development, and there's no one around southeast NB that knows the food service industry better than they do. With this being a Hyatt Hotel, you can be damned sure that this will be a higher end restaurant. Baton Rouge perhaps????
Baton Rouge would be a great addition or perhaps a Cage aux Sports????

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
Baton Rouge would be a great addition or perhaps a Cage aux Sports????
Baton Rouge would fit in very well with this hotel brand and the area being adjacent to the EC. Cage aux sports would be a bit disappointing, I'm guessing the hotel would want something better. It would however be well suited inside the Event Centre itself.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 11:39 AM

I would have said years ago when they first announced the downtown arena that it would be a Cage aux Sports and I still bet it will be. (No inside sources. Just seems like an obvious fit for that chain.)

By the way, I like how this L-shaped building hugs Main and Highfield Streets and sticking the parking in the rear. Will be a nice street wall coming under the subway and up towards the events' centre.

Last edited by MonctonDowntown; Dec 19, 2017 at 11:57 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 1:27 PM

Something is up at Burrito Jax

Yesterday morning, the Main St Burrito Jax's windows were taped up with a note on the door stating that there's close to $13,000 in back rent owed. Galco, must've change do the locks

Then, by the evening, the windows were uncovered. Looks like the changed locks did some good and Galco got their rent.

I also heard from a very good source that back around Remembrance Day, Plaza at North West Centre changed the locks at Burrito Jax for non payment of rent. They were closed for 3-4 days

Things must not be rosy at B Jax.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces