HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Harper in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Boyd wasn't going to be restored regardless. Various firms looked at it and there is a reason none of the proposals got off the ground. There is already intense competition for dollars amongst the existing theaters in the city. The market wasn't sufficient to justify the expense of a proper restoration
Yes. It couldn't be justified... at this time. In the future perhaps that would change. There are plenty of smaller cities with much less impressive downtowns in this country that managed to revive one of the ornate old movie houses. I refuse to believe that doing so was truly impossible here in Philadelphia.

Also looking at the existing theater market is kind of nonsensical. If I'm restoring the Boyd I'm going for a premium movie experience in an amazing theater right off of rittenhouse square with premium services that charges a premium price. I don't really think that you'll gleam any information on how successful that concept would be by looking at how a run down theater on Columbus Blvd is doing. I don't doubt it would be costly and chances of it ever happening were low. But as long as it was standing the chance of a restoration remained. The chance is now irrevocably off the table and this skyscraper is the reason for its destruction. If it doesn't impress it deserves every bit of criticism it receives.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Bait and switch.
I don't understand this. Bait and switch implies that they circulated a nice design for approval and, after gaining approval, unveiled a new, crappy design.

Yes, the old design generated some excitement but no, the old design was never reviewed by the city. Even if the city did review and approve the old design, I don't think a developer can so radically change a design without going back through the million and one committees.

I don't think you can call that bait and switch.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post

I don't think you can call that bait and switch.
I have to agree that "bait and switch" is not the best description for this, since the first proposal was for a smaller lot. With the addition of the Boyd lot, the entire context changed. If they built the new bland tower design where Target Express is now going, that would've been a definite "bait and switch."

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 6:41 PM

Financing from First Trust Bank signs up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (fake excitement)

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Financing from First Trust Bank signs up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (fake excitement)

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled
Does this mean that the 1900 Chestnut development has a definite source of financing? I still have a lot of faith in this project. The 1900 block of Chestnut could definitely use the infusion of life and street-level vibrancy that this tower will provide!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 3:31 PM

A Sunday article about the Alexander Building, which is being incorporated into the Pearl project.
http://www.philly.com/philly/home/20..._building.html

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 5:47 PM

It's odd that we know who the tenant is going to be (Target Express) but we don't know what the building will look like. Still, knowing you have a large national retailer on board means this project is likely happening.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 5:54 PM

Quote:
It's odd that we know who the tenant is going to be (Target Express) but we don't know what the building will look like. Still, knowing you have a large national retailer on board means this project is likely happening.
I'm not sure that I understand this correctly. Wasn't the redesign of the non-tower portion (i.e., the three-story addition to the Alexander Building, housing Target Express) approved with renderings posted in this thread? Therefore, I think that we do no what the building in question will look like. What we don't have is the revised design of the residential tower and appurtenant spaces (e.g., remnants of the Boyd), which is being done in consultation with the neighborhood association.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I'm not sure that I understand this correctly. Wasn't the redesign of the non-tower portion (i.e., the three-story addition to the Alexander Building, housing Target Express) approved with renderings posted in this thread? Therefore, I think that we do no what the building in question will look like. What we don't have is the revised design of the residential tower and appurtenant spaces (e.g., remnants of the Boyd), which is being done in consultation with the neighborhood association.
Yeah, exactly. The Target Express is not going to be in the tower portion. It's going to be on the corner, and that design has been approved and posted to this forum.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 7:07 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Whoever Pearl's retail broker is, is doing an absolutely fantastic job. Not just the Target Express here, but the Under Armor in the old Brown Brothers Harriman building, the tenants in the Granary and the Sansom, etc. They just keep landing great tenants for their retail components.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Whoever Pearl's retail broker is, is doing an absolutely fantastic job. Not just the Target Express here, but the Under Armor in the old Brown Brothers Harriman building, the tenants in the Granary and the Sansom, etc. They just keep landing great tenants for their retail components.
Agreed. Basically they're not being lazy. They're shopping around for good retail tenants that will fit the development and benefit the neighborhood instead of jumping and leasing the first tenant to express interest or those willing to pay the highest amount for rent: i.e., Banks, cell phones stores, etc.

I think it has a lot to do with the developer too. Pearl is likely willing to accept less in rent to acquire better retailers instead of being greedy and pinning retailers against each other until only the banks and cell phone companies prevail.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post
Yeah, exactly. The Target Express is not going to be in the tower portion. It's going to be on the corner, and that design has been approved and posted to this forum.
I stand corrected, thanks. I forgot that Pearl is basically developing this property in two parts - retail portion fronting Chestnut and a hidden tower setb back from the street (a trend I absolutely detest).

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 3:13 AM

They're demoing a few buildings on 19th street too.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 6:21 PM

Developer revises Boyd Theatre redevelopment plan

Does anyone see the new rendering? Good news is that the new tower is now 32 floors (up from 27).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Developer revises Boyd Theatre redevelopment plan

Does anyone see the new rendering? Good news is that the new tower is now 32 floors (up from 27).
Its odd the mobile version of Philly.com is showing the new updated rendering while the desktop version is showing the old........... and like that they changed it lol. I like the glass way way better.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 6:42 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 6:42 PM

The new design is now up on Philly.com. It looks much better than the old one.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 6:49 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Definitely a cleaner look. I'll take it over the last for sure.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 6:55 PM

Quote:
The new design is now up on Philly.com. It looks much better than the old one.
I don't see any renderings with the article. Am I looking in the right place? Anyway, the one reproduced in this thread looks 100% better.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 6:55 PM

I'm not seeing it on Philly.com (either the desktop or the mobile sites), just the photo posted by boxbot. From that, it definitely appears to be an improvement over the last proposal (and taller!), and I like how it apparently incorporates--and highlights--the Boyd facade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive