HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Libeskind Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 6:32 PM
Ascension

LOS ANGELES | Libeskind Tower | 43 Floors | Proposed

High-rises dwarf options for downtown L.A.
Mega-projects have their place, but two new Figueroa Corridor proposals spotlight the city's all-or-nothing planning mind-set.
By CHRISTOPHER HAWTHORNE
Architecture Critic

April 11, 2009

A pair of high-rise projects planned for the Figueroa Corridor downtown jumped into the headlines this week, as if out of nowhere. The first, set to replace the Wilshire Grand hotel and office complex at Figueroa Street and Wilshire Boulevard, will be designed by AC Martin Partners, the big local firm. It has an estimated budget of more than $1 billion. The other, proposed for a site near the southern edge of South Park, across from the Los Angeles Convention Center, is by Daniel Libeskind, best known for his Jewish Museum in Berlin and his much-altered master plan for the World Trade Center site in Lower Manhattan.

Both projects are backed by Korean groups. Korean Air, and the larger Hanjin Group of which it is a part, owns the Wilshire Grand property, where it wants to build a mixed-use complex crowned by two towers, the taller one 60 stories high. CA Human Technologies, a joint venture of two Korean firms, is behind the 43-story Libeskind tower, which would include 273 residential units stacked atop an eight-level podium containing parking, restaurants and a spa. If completed, it would be Libeskind's first Los Angeles building.

The sudden appearance of these designs, even in provisional form, in the middle of a deep recession prompts a couple of questions. Why now? And why -- when the last thing downtown needs, from an urban-planning point of view, is another stand-alone super-block high-rise, standing aloof from the street and its neighbors -- might we be getting two more?

The first question is relatively easy to answer. The entitlement process in Los Angeles is lengthy, bordering on Byzantine. Developers who want to be first out of the gate when the economy improves would be wise to begin that process now, particularly if it gives them the chance to take advantage of low construction and materials costs that will likely prevail for another couple of years.

A more cynical version of the same answer might go this way: Developers who feel prepared to move forward on the approval front, even if their financing remains iffy, can take advantage of a climate in which the city is desperate to support any signs of new real-estate activity downtown.

The second question is trickier. But it is also crucial, since it goes to the heart of how planning happens in downtown Los Angeles -- and why, despite so much new energy and investment in recent years, the area retains at ground level an extreme split personality, with massive towers mixed in with huge, empty parcels.

The Figueroa Corridor, which city planners have long envisioned as a key connector downtown -- linking the USC campus, on its southern end, with Dodger Stadium to the north -- is a key case study in how that split personality is developed and exacerbated. It is a natural place for high-rise development, given its existing skyscrapers and links to mass transit. It will soon be getting at least two new residential towers: the first phase of the Concerto, a 30-story high-rise designed by DeStefano + Partners, and a 54-story hotel and condo building at L.A. Live, by Gensler.

But certain pockets of it remain filled by the same surface parking lots that dot much of downtown. Particularly south of L.A. Live, the area suffers from an extreme version of the all-or-nothing development approach that city leaders and most developers have long favored. There is almost no middle ground to be found between high-rise towers that take up full blocks at street level and empty swaths of land reserved for cars.

This approach prevents the emergence of the smaller-scale projects that can bring fresh vitality to a block -- and that may move forward even in a downturn, since they require drastically less financing. Such modest projects are also more likely to go to younger and more innovative architects.

The Libeskind tower is the latest example of how downtown moves from one extreme to another. In land-use terms, it is a process that takes us immediately from zero to 60, from emptiness to high-rise density. The site where the tower is set to rise, covering 57,000 square feet, is actually two separate pieces of land that are, in turn, made up of a total of seven parcels. Most of downtown, of course, was originally sliced up the same way, which is why its older sections retain a vital diversity of building forms, architectural styles and uses.

But the presence of a surface parking lot changes that dynamic -- not only for the obvious reason that it trades vitality for emptiness. A parking lot also smooths the way for high-rise developments like the Libeskind tower. It tends to pave over the visual -- and sometimes the legal -- divisions between one small parcel and the next, making it almost a foregone conclusion that the property will remain empty until a mega-project comes along to fill it on a massive scale.

Indeed, the city's planning department has rubber-stamped CA Human Technologies' effort to consolidate the various properties into a single massive development, even though that effort flies in the face of recommendations in new guidelines developed by the same department's Urban Design Studio. Following the department's recommendation, the Planning Commission voted 6-0 Thursday to approve zoning and other variances for the property.

Architecturally, of course, there are lots of ways to make mega-projects successful along the street, including opening them up fully to the sidewalk and designing them to contain a diversity of retail outlets at ground level. Libeskind's scheme, which is not among his finest, tries hard to do this, although the effort is undermined by the slashing forms that cross its podium section. These gashes are his formal trademark, but in this case they bring the massive scale of the tower down to the sidewalk level instead of helping to break it up.

The AC Martin design for Korean Air is even less developed architecturally. It is a sleek marker for a development whose viability is far from certain.

The enemy in this is certainly not the high-rise form itself, which can add immeasurably to the vitality of any city and has long been a vehicle for architectural innovation. It is a process that all but rules out other kinds of development in certain pockets of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 7:50 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Don't know how I feel about this one...

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 9:20 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

When I looked at the top third of this tower I thought, "wow, it's gonna look great!". Then as I scrolled down and the rest of the tower came up I really changed my mind. Base is too tall. The bottom third of the tower sloped outwards which looks bad imo. Instead of sloping outwards it should go straight down.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 12:13 AM

Like something you would see in Panama City.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 12:46 AM
Heavy User

Frankly, with very few exceptions, any new tower in LA is a good tower.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 3:10 AM
BANNED

^that speaks to the sad state of things here doesn't it? i've never like libeskind much anyways but this has got to be one of his worst proposals. it's pretty damn ugly. LA's uncanny propensity of making big name architects create their most underwhelming proposals continues with this one.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 3:14 AM
Urbanite in Suburbia

I find it a very interesting tower actually. Much more interesting on the exterior than the standard glass box or repetetive condo blocks that seem to be the favorites in new construction. The pyramidal shape is probably one of the better ideas, as it breaks the horizontal lines nicely.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 4:11 AM
Stay Thirsty.

I like it! But the base is a bit too imposing. As already said, L.A. shouldn't be picky about tower preferences (or ANY city for that matter). But, announce a proposal in this market? I don't like this guy's chances.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 4:17 AM

^ If I remember correctly, it isn't breaking ground for a couple of years, so don't count this one out.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 3:19 AM
them bones

It looks alot more contrived and less interesting than either of the two similar sized proposals Libeskind put forth a couple of years ago in Sacramento (neither of which came to fruition).

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 5:24 AM
BANNED

that's exactly how i would characterize it. contrived. i find many projects in LA by big name architects end up being contrived and vain . LA has a way of bringing that self consciousness out of them, making for some of the most unfocused, dishonest examples of their work. it's funny we already have some of the biggest commissions by gehry, meier, pei, mayne, piano and none of them have produced in LA what have been considered career highlights and the ironic thing is two of these guys are angelenos. and now more philistinism for LA, this time brought to you by studio libeskind

that being said, it'd be a wonder if it went up.

Last edited by edluva; Apr 27, 2009 at 9:06 AM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 4:14 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Even though I consider Libeskind a bit of a one-trick pony, I like it and I think it will be a welcome addition to the L.A. skyline...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 6:14 PM
Show me the blueprints

If LA doesn;t want it Chicago we'll take it, especially since X/O probably isn;t go to happen.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 7:16 PM
A before E

Jewish Museum Vertical!! *Jazz Hands* (there really needs to be a smiley doing jazz hands for this.)

Libeskind is really digging deep in his creative background for this tower. Seriously, how many versions of the same thing can an architect do before it becomes overdone? (Gehry? SOM and their white box?) ugghhh.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 8:25 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
It looks alot more contrived and less interesting than either of the two similar sized proposals Libeskind put forth a couple of years ago in Sacramento (neither of which came to fruition).
You mean Epic and Aura. I actually loved those designs.

Epic

Aura

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
If LA doesn;t want it Chicago we'll take it, especially since X/O probably isn;t go to happen.

I don't think so...This tower is just all wrong. Like someone before me mentioned, it looks like something you'd see in Panama City.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 11:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Maybe if they chopped off a portion of the base (maybe all the excess), and added a small spire this one could realy soar.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 7:52 PM

^ Or, like some buildings in South Park, the base could have billboards on it to cover up that toilet paper mess. At least the top of the base appears to have greenery, something we really need in Downtown. Pershing Square doesn't cut it and is a joke of a park.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 9:15 PM

Last edited by Saddle Man; Jul 25, 2009 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 9:18 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
^ Or, like some buildings in South Park, the base could have billboards on it to cover up that toilet paper mess. At least the top of the base appears to have greenery, something we really need in Downtown. Pershing Square doesn't cut it and is a joke of a park.
No. I'd take off about 2 or 3 stories from the base and that's it. It's a nice building. Not every structure in Los Angeles needs to have bilboards all over it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive