HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 5:16 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Dammit 1ajs, before you and me both die I want to see a new tallest built. Preferably by the private sector.

P.S. I drove down Hallet today, I like your street.
yes i would love to have a new tallest also only

cool... just gota clean up the other end of the street a bit... wish i had money to grab that brick building on the corner and put a new roof on it and fix the mess thats in there from the roof fire

and the empty lot well that was an single story store front house that was a rental house for years was a total dump and needed alota work city seized it and demolished it was kinda sad loosing it since it was right up to the sidewalk but it had to go it was ready to colaps

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 5:28 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
yes i would love to have a new tallest also only

cool... just gota clean up the other end of the street a bit... wish i had money to grab that brick building on the corner and put a new roof on it and fix the mess thats in there from the roof fire

and the empty lot well that was an single story store front house that was a rental house for years was a total dump and needed alota work city seized it and demolished it was kinda sad loosing it since it was right up to the sidewalk but it had to go it was ready to colaps

It occured to me today, that most Winnipegger's probably have no reason to venture into Point Douglas. Come to think of it, I was like 20 the first time I ventured into your hood.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 5:28 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

So what will become of 100 main????

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 3:07 PM
urbanYVR.com

yes, i am confused. is the crystal properties tower still happening or not?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 2:54 AM
Dreamer

Don't worry and don't listen to Gord Sinclair ... 100 Main is still going ahead!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 3:01 AM
I Like It When You Hit Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by c vist View Post
Don't worry and don't listen to Gord Sinclair ... 100 Main is still going ahead!
thats very good news, if its true.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffler View Post

only one i could find
That building looks poorly photoshopped into the picture, yet it's real

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
That building looks poorly photoshopped into the picture, yet it's real
I don't get it

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 7:15 AM
I am a typical

The building is very simple and ugly. You could draw it in paint on a 1:1 scale, and it wouldn't take much time or effort. It's plain.

Its looks better now that's it's renovated but still, it's a piece of crap.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The building is very simple and ugly. You could draw it in paint on a 1:1 scale, and it wouldn't take much time or effort. It's plain.

Its looks better now that's it's renovated but still, it's a piece of crap.
Oh, I see. I get it now. Yea, come to think of it, it is very simple, plain and ugly. Wow. What building is that, anyways?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 8:40 PM

its 33 hargrave and the inside is quite nice i got myself an apartment on the 23rd floor

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 9:42 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Well, at least it's better than what it was before. It was definitely a lot uglier before the renovations, but the interior seriously does kick a lot of ass though.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 11:23 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

33 hargrave was a dump befor the renovations was it not now its beutifull... they did a prity dam good job with a comie block

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffler View Post
its 33 hargrave and the inside is quite nice i got myself an apartment on the 23rd floor
okay sorry. I probably shouldn't jump to conclusions like that.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 7:20 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Thumbs down And now an opinion piece from everyone's favourite columnist

Possible saviour for history unearthed: Fort's bastion may kill plan to build highrise
Sat Oct 13 2007

JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
Archeologist Sid Kroker walks outside the excavated dig site of the foundation of the northwest bastion of the original Upper Fort Garry.

FOR about six months now, the City of Winnipeg has been trying to turn our political and commercial birthplace -- the Upper Fort Garry site -- into what it already very nearly is.
A graveyard marking our apathy about history.

The burial ground was prepared last May when a city council committee approved the sale of adjacent land in a deal that would situate a 15-storey highrise apartment like an unmarked tombstone for the Upper Fort Garry site.

The project, which was proposed by Crystal Developers, was designed to be set tight in the corner of a parking lot at Main Street and Assiniboine Avenue.

And snugly up against the fort's northwestern bastion.

Or at least that's what Hudson's Bay archival records dating back to the fort's 1836 construction suggested was the bastion's probable location.

But that, as you'll see, is where the plot takes an interesting twist.

Anyway, in its short-sighted, money-grubbing haste to approve this monument to myopia, the city has resisted various overtures to stop the highrise project.

And the insanity.
The overtures have varied from a simple call for common sense, to a collective personal appeal from the Friends of Upper Fort Garry, a collection of the city's business and political elite who want to create a heritage park and interpretive site on the downtown property.

Oh yes, there was another overture.

It was, and still is, a win-win plan -- courtesy of Yours Humbly -- that calls for relocating Crystal Developers' highrise development in a swap of surplus city-owned property.

Alas, Mayor Sam Katz informed me last week that plan was a no-go in his opinion.

But this week, something happened that might succeed in halting the project where common sense and personal persuasion seem to have failed.

Operating under the pre-construction specifications dictated by the provincial Heritage Act, archeologist Sid Kroker went searching for the round, 26-metre-in-diameter limestone foundation of the northwest bastion.

The exact location is important because the city and the developer had committed to building the highrise apartment on the edge, but not on top, of the original fort's footprint.

So a backhoe dug deep into several predetermined locations of the parking lot near the corner of Main and Assiniboine. And out popped what could be the Friends of Upper Fort Garry's ace in the archeological hole, as it were. Because much to archeologist Sid Kroker's surprise, the northwest bastion wasn't where he, the city or the developer thought it was.

"It was approximately three metres or 10 feet further west than we anticipated," Kroker said.

"Because it's further west than anticipated," Kroker explained, "it may make the development plan unviable."

Kroker's reports are being shared with both the city and Crystal Developers.

So I asked Kroker if the developer had told him that the project might have to be scrapped.

Kroker didn't say yes or no.

"That's just common sense," he answered instead.

Crystal Developers originally had designed the project assuming a certain size of the lot, Kroker said.

"The lot is now 10 feet shorter." That's not even allowing for any government order that may demand another metre of buffer between the proposed highrise and the fort footprint.

"So who knows if this project stays viable," Kroker said.

Actually, I can only think of one person.

So I called the owner of Crystal Developers, Ruben Spletzer.

His receptionist got back to me.

She said Mr. Spletzer wasn't available.

Then she said: "He has no comment at this time."

We can only hope that the next message we get from those who would seek to desecrate our history comes from a white flag waving in Winnipeg's storied wind.

Long live Upper Fort Garry.

gordon.sinclair@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 1:28 AM

^^^I would hardly call the proposal a highrise.

I don't get Winnipeg. There's always so much resistance to things that will make the city, but those people are nowhere to be found when it comes to stopping bad things like Waverley West.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 2:29 AM
Capitalist

.... its too bad Winnipeg still has these kinds of people... blocking a descent project like this.. for yet another park (which is surrounded by other parks).

I was unware that downtown was renamed central park... or Any damn excuse not to build something.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 2:44 AM
I am a typical

Stupid NIMPPHS.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 4:31 PM

It seems like there is always someone celebrating in Winnipeg when a possible development is blocked. I really don't see the point in having yet another park when the Forks is already nearby. If we've lived this long without one and there was already an existing building at 100 Main, I don't know what the problem there would be to having a highrise (even if it is only 15 floors). What's the use of having a historic site with signage that is only going to be graffitied on or smashed anyway? It seems that any historic plaques or signage that is put up anywhere in the area (including along Tache), they just get scratched up or spray-painted with graffiti. It makes a lot more sense to build living space to increase the population of the downtown area. Only in Winnipeg are people happy to block development.

Last edited by DowntownBooster; Oct 14, 2007 at 4:39 PM. Reason: The quote did not work properly.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 5:35 PM
I am a typical

"Only in Winnipeg are people happy to block development."

Not true. Seven years after a 70m (that is, 70m high, 250m long and 200m wide) grain elevator was demolished on our waterfront, people don't want the empty site developed because it is parkland.

It's actually a pile of rubble, blocked off to human access, and across a small bay from one of the worst industrial "accidents" in Ontario. (The blob)

What are they opposing? Three six story buildings, to be built near other six storey buildings and a parking lot.

Winnipeg isn't the only city that likes to block developments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan