HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 5:41 PM
gettin' rich!

Red face TORONTO | 2 Queen West |Eaton Centre Tower | 65 Floors | 200 M ++

YEAH BABY!!! Haven't started a thread in a long time due to others being faster than me, and no towers really worth posting here, but this is good news. The Eaton Centre Tower is finally about to happen. We've been speculating about a massive tower here for ages. Getting closer now....

N ST W
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York
OPA / Rezoning

The proposed redevelopment of the site involves the construction of a 65 Storey rental residential tower atop a heritage podium base, which will be reconstructed to depict the appearance of the original heritage building. 580 dwelling units are being proposed with a commercial component.

It will sit atop this heritage building, all photos by me

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 12:34 AM

Looking forward to the render which, according to LeftCoaster, we should be seeing soon. LC also mentioned that Zeidler Partnership Architects are behind this one, so that is promising. I really am curious to know what is left of the heritage building, a part from what we are seeing in the photo above. If anything, this is great news for Yonge St. as it continues to "grow up".

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 4:15 AM

Sorry for the intrusion, I'm from the Ottawa thread.

Just a quick question about the historic building (Woolworths/Atmosphere); is it the actual historic building with original structural frame and foundations or is the façade the only thing original on it (as with the Ogilvy building on Ottawa's Rideau Centre expansion of 2015) where the faced was remounted on a new building?

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 5:36 AM
The New Republic

The interior is modern. If the old detailing is there underneath, I'm not sure.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 2:51 PM

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 3:13 PM

One hudson yards came to mind straight away.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 3:24 PM
gettin' rich!

Very New Yorkish looking tower. I like it.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 4:45 PM

I love it. I hope it's built as per the rendering. It's such a welcome change to all the glass boxes going up. (Even though I love many of those too)

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 5:00 PM

Looking great for a rental tower! Great location, height shouldn't be an issue here. Great to see the Heritage building being reconstructed and adding some prime retail at the base as well.

Some additional stats for this one thanks to a post by androiduk.

580 rental units with ZERO parking and 580 bicycle spaces.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 9:14 PM
Bostonian

Gorgeous building. Good for you, Toronto!
The article posted above has this at 220 meters or roughly 722 feet and 65 storeys.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 1:19 AM

Many have claimed that the render hints at spandrel glass. However, on closer examination I can the lighter horizontal lines are the actual floor slabs.

Looks to be a promising quality development! It should also break ground quicker than its other 200m proposal counterparts seeing as it's a rental development.

I hope to see more highrises/supertalls from Zeidler in the near future.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 4:31 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 12:02 PM
gettin' rich!

As we have discussed before, the foundation work for the tower already exists, so excavation would be limited, most of the initial work would be limited to gutting and removing the historic building on the site.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 2:56 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Here is a drawing I made yesterday: http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=26516
Toronto diagram: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=12 on page 2

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 4:52 PM
Urban Fanactic

Excellent Work.
Toronto now has 41 building built proposed and under construction that are over 200m.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 7:10 PM

Update from Urban Toronto

The existing heritage building has undergone some renovations that has left much of it in rough shape and hidden under what looks like aluminum siding. All that will come off and the facade will be restored, though the building itself will be gutted. The first two floors will be retail, and above that will be amenity space. This will be a rental building, not a condo, so as soon as approvals come, we could see equipment on site.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 7:26 PM
The New Republic

Can't say that I like the revisions at all. The diagonal bracing pattern at the base is largely gone and we now have balconies. They've basically stripped the building of the 2 components that made it interesting.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Can't say that I like the revisions at all. The diagonal bracing pattern at the base is largely gone and we now have balconies. They've basically stripped the building of the 2 components that made it interesting.
If you check out the north face of the tower in the second rendering, you csan see that they've used the inset balconies to create an alternating pattern every five floors. That looks like it could be interesting. I'm also disappointed by the loss of the diagonal bracing above the podium, but it looks like the silver-coloured grid on the facade has been maintained, which is good, and furthermore the first rendering shows that the grid on each side of the tower will now be slightly pushed out, creating notched corners, which I think looks quite nice.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 8:28 PM

This is quite elegant. The placement extends the skyline further inland, which is what I like to see them bontinuing work on if they're gonna build large towers like One Bloor so far from the main core.
The one question I have regards the next-to-last pic. Does the dual-looking facade at the left go all the way around the structure? It's hard to tell from this and the pano rendering that follows.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 12:55 AM

They mention that the building will either have inset or juliet balconies, so all hope is not lost. It also shows the balconies are only on the North and South portions of the building. When I think of inset balconies, I'm thinking much like the L-Tower - so it shouldn't hurt the design too much.

Good eye on the balconies too Ramako. They are pretty much alternating.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive