HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I have been reading up on how airlines do fleet planning. It sounds like the 50 passengers CRJ-200 aircraft that Air Canada (Jazz) and United runs are very fuel inefficient relative to larger modern Jets and turbo-props. It also looks like Air Canada and Jazz have come to an agreement to reduce the number of CRJ-200 in the fleet and replace some of them with Q400 turbo props holding 75 passengers. The new Q400 have been deployed in central Canada but as more of them come on line we see some out on the parries. If that is the case could we be seeing a shift from 50 seat to 75 seat planes on the runs into Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg.

With WestJet getting the Q400 also. We will see the local airport have a large percentage of turbo prop aircraft.

The problem is the general population has a negative view of these turbo prop aircraft. Weird given this new generation is suppose to be as quiet as jets and similar speed for such a short route. In places like Toronto and Ottawa they board the Q400 by overhead bridges the same as the jets. Hopefully the new bridges in Saskatoon are capable of working with Q400 easily.

On the United side I don't know. I think they are still running the Chicago flight with a stop in Regina to pickup passengers. Not certain how viable the flight is if they can't fill a 50 to 75 seat plane on Saskatoon alone.
Yes, we will be seeing more flights via Q400-type aircraft flown by both Westjet and Air Canada.

The United Chicago flight - via a Canadair CRJ-700 - is still active. But it should be mentioned that prior to mid-spring, YXE's pax numbers on that route were quite weak compared to that of YQR's numbers. (As-of-late? I don't know. United is monitoring it.) The Saskatoon-Regina-Chicago flight is the only flight of its type within United's network. (Aka, 'milk run.')

The jetways at YQR/YXE will accomodate the '400s. (For there is plenty of prop clearance since the '400s are longer - and that the jetways can kneel down quite low.)

All-in-all, we'll be seeing an increased frequency of turboprop-type aircraft serving Saskatchewan within the next 1-2 years.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Yes, we will be seeing more flights via Q400-type aircraft flown by both Westjet and Air Canada.

The United Chicago flight - via a Canadair CRJ-700 - is still active. But it should be mentioned that prior to mid-spring, YXE's pax numbers on that route were quite weak compared to that of YQR's numbers. (As-of-late? I don't know. United is monitoring it.) The Saskatoon-Regina-Chicago flight is the only flight of its type within United's network. (Aka, 'milk run.')

The jetways at YQR/YXE will accomodate the '400s. (For there is plenty of prop clearance since the '400s are longer - and that the jetways can kneel down quite low.)

All-in-all, we'll be seeing an increased frequency of turboprop-type aircraft serving Saskatchewan within the next 1-2 years.
I usually end up going via Denver.

It is on a different scale but their is another United route like this one. Melburne - Sydney - San Francisco. Boeing 747. I had a entire row to myself on the Melburn to Syney segment.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 6:43 AM

Quote:
I usually end up going via Denver.

It is on a different scale but their is another United route like this one. Melburne - Sydney - San Francisco. Boeing 747. I had a entire row to myself on the Melburn to Syney segment.
I should have been more explicit: I meant North America. Melbourne/Sydney - San Fran makes sense though.

QR's/XE's airport authorities are still working in concert in order to attract a European carrier to fly in a similar manner to/fro Saskatchewan. They have been speaking namely with the German airline: Condor. It is difficult for any European carrier to entertain the idea of expansion. (Whilst in a time of economic uncertainty/route contraction.)

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 3:39 AM

Just tried to use the Saskatoon Airport webcam and it now appears to be behind a firewall (http://www.yxe.ca/cam.php). Not certain when that change happened.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 5:20 AM
ConstructionPete

Cool Sources Say

I've spoken with several reliable sources over the last few days and some interesting details have emerged. No official announcements have been made by any parties however, if these details are true, it will be a great addition to YXE's available routes.

1) YXE will remain 'mainline' with Westjet thus Westjet will continue to use their Boeing 737's for flights to and from Saskatoon, however, when Westjet's regional service is launched, Saskatoon will accept the Q400 for service to smaller regional centres. Example - Direct service from Saskatoon to Comox
2) Westjet could be introducing a 3rd weekly seasonal flight to Las Vegas beginning in September 2012, as well, if this 3rd additional flight is successful, Westjet is considering September 2013 the route becoming a non-seasonal non-stop flight from Saskatoon.
3) Delta Airlines is planning on increasing it's passenger capacity with a larger aircraft servicing Minneapolis St. Paul beginning fall 2012, just in time for hunting season.

As stated, these are just a few things in the rumour mill at YXE and shouldn't be taken as true until official announcements (if any) are made by the respected parties.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
I've spoken with several reliable sources over the last few days and some interesting details have emerged. No official announcements have been made by any parties however, if these details are true, it will be a great addition to YXE's available routes.

2) Westjet could be introducing a 3rd weekly seasonal flight to Las Vegas beginning in September 2012, as well, if this 3rd additional flight is successful, Westjet is considering September 2013 the route becoming a non-seasonal non-stop flight from Saskatoon.
Westjet has already announced their Winter schedule and both YQR and YXE will get 3 non stop's a week to LAS. This is confirmed already. Both cities will also see 3X weekly to PHX this year.

Quote:
3) Delta Airlines is planning on increasing it's passenger capacity with a larger aircraft servicing Minneapolis St. Paul beginning fall 2012, just in time for hunting season.
YXE usually gets this from Delta in October and November, so this is not new, but still good news for YXE.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
[B]
YXE usually gets this from Delta in October and November, so this is not new, but still good news for YXE.
In years past it was always impressive when it would go from CRJ to suddenly being a Boeing 757 and then back to a CRJ. In Minneapolis you always recognize the gate by being the one surrounded by people wearing high end designer camo gear.

A few years ago there was talk of adding a flight to Salt Lake City for the hunting season. I don't think it ever materialized. That said, being a Delta hub west of Saskatoon it would have made for better connection to California and other points in the western US.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 2:24 AM

Quote:
In years past it was always impressive when it would go from CRJ to suddenly being a Boeing 757 and then back to a CRJ. In Minneapolis you always recognize the gate by being the one surrounded by people wearing high end designer camo gear.

A few years ago there was talk of adding a flight to Salt Lake City for the hunting season. I don't think it ever materialized. That said, being a Delta hub west of Saskatoon it would have made for better connection to California and other points in the western US.
That's true. They were talking about Sask airports hooking up with KSLC. United grabbed Denver instead.

I think though our airport authorities are aiming more towards the other side of the North Pole.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 3:56 AM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
Westjet has already announced their Winter schedule and both YQR and YXE will get 3 non stop's a week to LAS. This is confirmed already. Both cities will also see 3X weekly to PHX this year.

Well I guess my information is a little old then ahah. Thanks! Do you have link to Westjet's full winter schedule for YXE. I tried looking online and I can't seem to get any reliable hits on it. More less the announcements for additional sun-destinations for Toronto and Vancouver areas. I did find something interesting though, Kelowna will be servicing LAX even with a 0.1% decrease in passenger traffic in 2011 - YXE increased by 2.5%

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Well I guess my information is a little old then ahah. Thanks! Do you have link to Westjet's full winter schedule for YXE. I tried looking online and I can't seem to get any reliable hits on it. More less the announcements for additional sun-destinations for Toronto and Vancouver areas. I did find something interesting though, Kelowna will be servicing LAX even with a 0.1% decrease in passenger traffic in 2011 - YXE increased by 2.5%
I don't, but just do a search on flights from Saskatoon to Las Vegas in the winter on Westjet, and you'll see the 3 flights per week come up. I did this, as I'm supposed to go to Vegas in March, so I was looking at the Westjet options for flights, and I couldn't get my Friday direct to Vegas from Regina, and so I started snooping around, and they added a 3rd flight and changed a couple of the days on us. I then checked Saskatoon, and the same thing.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:04 PM
ConstructionPete

I've checked Westjet explicitly as well as tried their online booking and still cannot find any official announcement for a 3rd weekly flight to Phoenix from Saskatoon. According to Westjet flight schedule, WJA 1924 to Phoenix will go out 2x weekly, Monday and Friday.

As for direct service to Las Vegas, WJA 1922 will go out 3x weekly, Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday.

This said, Friday's at YXE will be extremely busy, with the addition of two international flights in the PM (LAS @1725 & PHX @ 1650) with already busy flights to Denver, Minneapolis/St.Paul as well as the usual domestic travel on a Friday afternoon. Show up early for check-in and screening.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 5:08 PM

Quote:
I've checked Westjet explicitly as well as tried their online booking and still cannot find any official announcement for a 3rd weekly flight to Phoenix from Saskatoon. According to Westjet flight schedule, WJA 1924 to Phoenix will go out 2x weekly, Monday and Friday.
You're right. It's just YQR that has the 3x weekly to PHX, not YXE. Sorry about that. YQR has Tue, Thur, and Sat to PHX, and Mon, Wed, Sat to LAS with Westjet.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 11:25 PM
ConstructionPete

YXE to cut charters

I hear YXE is cutting charter flights for 2012/2013 season 20-30% as they aren't able to accommodate all aircraft during the season due to being down from 6 to 4 gates as construction on the new customs areas as well as the 'pier' ramp up (Phase 1). Quite negative impact for YXE in my view but I assume YQR will most likely benefit from this blip.

What do you think? Do you think YXE should continue to offer the same amount of charter flights and work closer with airlines to spread out flight times so gate availability is more convenient or do you believe this is a necessary evil the expansion project?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I hear YXE is cutting charter flights for 2012/2013 season 20-30% as they aren't able to accommodate all aircraft during the season due to being down from 6 to 4 gates as construction on the new customs areas as well as the 'pier' ramp up (Phase 1). Quite negative impact for YXE in my view but I assume YQR will most likely benefit from this blip.

What do you think? Do you think YXE should continue to offer the same amount of charter flights and work closer with airlines to spread out flight times so gate availability is more convenient or do you believe this is a necessary evil the expansion project?
I suspect it is the airlines in the driver seats. Given that large expansion they did to hard stands to park aircraft, I am surprised the airport authority has not rented a fleet of busses and simply busses passengers to from the terminal during construction. In many of the major European airports it is quite common to be bussed to the aircraft. Places like Frankfurt, Paris, London anything smaller that a 737 you usually are bussed out to, I have even had that on flights with wide-body aircraft.

Speaking of charter flights, sounds like Icelandic Airlines is going to run flights into Anchorage with a 757 next summer. They also do Seattle, Denver, Toronto, etc. They offer some very convenient and cheap connections/transfers to continental europe. If the Saskatoon airport authority went after them to serve Saskatoon that would make it a lot cheaper and easier to get to many parts of Europe.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 6:08 AM

SAA names new CEO

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 5:57 PM
ConstructionPete

Update YXE Construction Pictures

Slow progress but progress none of the less. Customs has been closed off to a small area that use to be part of the B-Gate Lounge and the baggage claim area has been modified as outside walls in the customs area are being dismantled. Charter season has begun as this past Wednesday, September 5, Westjet began it's direct service to Las Vegas. Between 1500 and 1530 hours, 6 flights are scheduled on Wednesday and Saturday, including 3 international flights. This means not a single Bridge or ground loading position is available between 1415-1500hrs. Flight schedules will be changing in the near future with the upcoming time change, as well, Westjet will be adding a third weekly Vegas departure later in the fall and the start up direct service to Phoenix around November.
Gate congestion is common in the early morning departures at YXE however, with gate congestion becoming a problem during later day departures, this is proof YXE requires additional gates as well as more efficient arrival/departure spreads for the charter season.

(YXE Construction Cam)

Last edited by kalin_10; Sep 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 7:46 PM

Hey Kalin, i see they are putting steel up at airport, do you have any inside shots of this?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 5:33 PM

Did a quick in and out trip to yxe this week, other than the lower gates being blocked off I didn't feel any difference from the construction from a pax perspective.

And good news for yxe...there will be an extra daily Edmonton-Saskatoon flight, and the Q400's will be used on Calgary-Saskatoon in Feb., hopefully also upping the number of seats on that route. The same changes also apply to Regina.
http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=590

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
Did a quick in and out trip to yxe this week, other than the lower gates being blocked off I didn't feel any difference from the construction from a pax perspective.

And good news for yxe...there will be an extra daily Edmonton-Saskatoon flight, and the Q400's will be used on Calgary-Saskatoon in Feb., hopefully also upping the number of seats on that route. The same changes also apply to Regina.
http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=590
Randomly picked two different weekdays in March and it shows the Saskatoon to Calgary run as daily having 1 Dash-8-300 (50 seats), 3 CRJ Jets (50 seats) and 2 Q400 (75 seats). Not bad.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Hey Kalin, i see they are putting steel up at airport, do you have any inside shots of this?
Kalin - I came across this article that says the plan is for the current part under construction to open in Aug 2013; then they start on the north part of the airport. Is that still the plan? Still on schedule?

http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/airp...dule/itemid_21

What is also impressive is the Westwind terminal. Having never been in their I was surprised by the amount of seating that is in the photos. I am assigning that where the charters up north depart from: http://www.pwa.sk.ca/index.php?optio...&id=7&Itemid=7

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan