HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 6:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | 55 Broad Street | 742 Ft | 53 FLOORS

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/03/...reet-overhaul/

Rudin weighs wide array of changes at 55 Broad Street
Proposed mixed-use tower would rise 742 feet

Mark Maurer
March 04, 2014

Quote:
Bill Rudin, CEO of Rudin Management, hired architecture firm FXFOWLE to gauge the viability of full-on redeveloping of 55 Broad Street in Lower Manhattan.

Tentative plans call for constructing a 53-story mixed-use property in place of the 35-story office building there now. The site would grow to nearly double the height – 742 feet from 402 feet. In addition to the office component, there would be luxury apartments and retail space.

Bill’s father, Lew Rudin, developed the property in the 1960s as Goldman Sachs’ headquarters. Investment banking firm Drexel Burnham Lambert then occupied it until going bankrupt in 1990. The building was subsequently vacant for five years, the New York Post reported.

Starbucks bumped its up ground-floor lease by 1,000 square feet last year, as previously reported

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 6:03 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 7:15 PM
New Yorker for life

http://nypost.com/2014/03/03/tower-p...-broad-street/

Developer wants to bring modernity to Broad Street tower

By Lois Weiss
March 3, 2014

Quote:
Developer Bill Rudin is plotting the redevelopment of 55 Broad St. into a new, modern mixed-use tower, The Post has learned.

Prompted by the diversification of downtown and a residential population beginning to pay top dollar for apartments, sources say the third-generation developer has already hired FXFOWLE to research the feasibility of redeveloping the current 35-story, 402-feet-tall office structure into a 53-story, 742 feet-tall mixed-use building.

....Prompted by the diversification of downtown and a residential population beginning to pay top dollar for apartments, sources say the third-generation developer has already hired FXFOWLE to research the feasibility of redeveloping the current 35-story, 402-feet-tall office structure into a 53-story, 742 feet-tall mixed-use building.

Such a building could include retail, technology-focused office space and ritzy apartments in an energy-efficient tower designed for the prominent site on the northeast corner of Broad and Beaver streets.

Coincidently, Cushman & Wakefield is marketing 45 Broad, the adjacent stalled site to its north, where Robert De Niro once planned a hotel. That site can host a tall but slender tower with views to the Statue of Liberty because there are no height restrictions in the area.

But it is entirely possible that Rudin is planning a tower play and will be bidding with an eye on winning that site and incorporating its 264,200 square feet into Rudin Management’s 55 Broad, so he can add a new majestic skyscraper to the downtown skyline.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 7:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Who knows what will happen here...I'll let my imagination play with it for a while.

I've always loved the density of lower Manhattan, the small, closeness of the streets.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 8:13 PM

The developer would be crazy not to combine both parcels, so much can be done on this site, especially considering the location. That part of downtown needs an alpha tower to counter the WTC on the west side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I've always loved the density of lower Manhattan, the small, closeness of the streets
I so agree with you. Nothing says Gotham more than downtown manhattan, it just has more of a New York feel than midtown. I hope a new tower will rise down there and reclaim the skyline the way that fraud (1WTC) couldn't.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 1:43 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post

I so agree with you. Nothing says Gotham more than downtown manhattan, it just has more of a New York feel than midtown. I hope a new tower will rise down there and reclaim the skyline the way that fraud (1WTC) couldn't.
I have heard the saying that the real New York is south of Houston St. from people who live their. Midtown is nice but Lower Manhattan has more of a historical feeling to it. Either way, I love both.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 7:37 PM
BANNED

They won't acquire the adjacent lot? (45 Broad)

Nyguy, could you also capitalize the letter b??

Last edited by Perklol; Mar 4, 2014 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 7:50 PM

Whatever design they come up with, it had better make that Beaver "thing" look a helluvalot less like the horrid accident that it's turned out to be.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 11:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Nyguy, could you also capitalize the letter b??
Why not, I'll throw it in for free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
The streets of Midtown, with its grid, have a unique aspect of New York as well. The randomness of the streets in the financial district offer more of a mystery, you never know what skyscraper is lurking "just around the bend". You become more intimate with the skyscrapers. Used to love it on weekends when no on else was around, but things have been changing rapidly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Whatever design they come up with, it had better make that Beaver "thing" look a helluvalot less like the horrid accident that it's turned out to be.
It would make sense for them to go as high as possible, with the recent and coming residential towers, especially the conversions. I would love to have something tall enough to add a little balance to the lower Manhattan skyline, but we may be getting to far ahead of ourselves. Still, it would be nice to see Downtown answer the residential supertalls of Midtown.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 4:47 AM
Bostonian

I've been to the Starbucks in 55 Broad a few times while visiting the area. The adjacent empty lot is quite the eyesore and I'd love to see it combined with this site.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:50 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

The William Beaver tower. It's new though, so it's not going anytime soon.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 6:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
The William Beaver tower. It's new though, so it's not going anytime soon.
Thank you. A glass box would have been nice.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 6:38 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

New York YIMBY:

Revealed: 55 Broad Street
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON MARCH 11TH 2014 AT 6:00 AM

55 Broad Street — image by FX Fowle

Quote:
Several details regarding a potential tower at 55 Broad Street were discussed by Lois Weiss at the New York Post last month, and now YIMBY has the first vague renderings of the tower, courtesy of an anonymous tipper. Rudin Management is developing the site, and FX Fowle is the architect of record.

The site is located in the heart of the Financial District, and has development rights of 388,000 square feet; the massing diagram depicts a 53-story tower that would stand nearly 750 feet, which would make it one of the tallest skyscrapers in Lower Manhattan. The William Beaver House — which stands 527 feet — is rendered adjacent to 55 Broad Street in the massing study.

While 55 Broad Street could rise over 50 stories as-is, the lot has additional potential, thanks to the failure of the initial plans for the Nobu Tower, at 45 Broad Street. The two sites could potentially be combined, and the resulting tower’s air rights would total approximately 650,000 square feet, and an assemblage of that size could rise significantly taller than the current plans.

No completion date for the site has been announced, and given the existing 35-story office building must be demolished before work proceeds, construction is a long ways off; still, the potential is there, and demolition of the current 55 Broad Street appears to be imminent.

55 Broad Street -- image via Google Maps

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 8:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
thanks to the failure of the initial plans for the Nobu Tower, at 45 Broad Street. The two sites could potentially be combined, and the resulting tower’s air rights would total approximately 650,000 square feet, and an assemblage of that size could rise significantly taller than the current plans.

Let's hope they move in that direction. While 750 ft isn't bad, it won't really stand out in that location.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 5:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Potential news (maybe) from that Real Deal piece...

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/11/...ld-fetch-110m/

45 Broad to return to market — and could fetch $110M

November 10, 2014
By Adam Pincus

Quote:
A Lower Manhattan development parcel once owned by Kent Swig will return to the market next year and could sell for as much as $110 million, insiders said.

The potential price for the vacant parcel at 45 Broad Street between Beaver Street and Exchange Place, which has 264,200 square feet of development rights, shows the enormous rise in values in the current environment compared with the prior boom.

Sources pointed to active players in the Downtown market as potential bidders, including Rudin Mangement, which owns 55 Broad Street, a large site adjacent to 45 Broad. The two sites could potentially be combined to build a 650,000-square-foot tower.

Other possible buyers include David Lichtenstein’s Lightstone Group, Michael Shvo, Michael Stern’s JDS Development Group, Fortis Property Group, Howard Hughes and Albanese, according to people familiar with the Downtown market.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 6:37 AM

OMG, that beaver building is hideous. When the architect made their presentation, I want to know who it is that said ... "YES, that is the one."

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuyWho View Post
OMG, that beaver building is hideous. When the architect made their presentation, I want to know who it is that said ... "YES, that is the one."
Funny thing is, it's shape and materials are acceptably bad. If they would just paint the yellow black like the rest of the building, the building would look more innocuous on the skyline and less diseased.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 4:51 PM
BANNED

OTP, but that facade reminds me of the The Bankers Building in Chicago. Maybe it just needs a good cleaning?

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2013/...ng-master.html

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
OTP, but that facade reminds me of the The Bankers Building in Chicago. Maybe it just needs a good cleaning?

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2013/...ng-master.html
Eh, the coloring is less of a stark contrast than bright yellow, and most importantly the old beauty has symmetry where as the Beaver is going for a trailer park version of One57 random pixelation.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive