HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 8:49 PM
A before E

Milwaukie City Council voted this month to move forward with the Monroe Street Neighborhood Greenway. This plan would encourage Monroe Street to be designed to favor biking and walking.

milwaukieoregon.gov/planning/monroe-street-neighborhood-greenway-concept-plan.

Quote:
Milwaukie adopts plan to encourage Monroe Street walking, biking

“The marching order today is go find money,” Milwaukie Mayor Mark Gamba told city staff as the City Council last week unanimously passed a resolution to adopt a concept plan for the Monroe Street Neighborhood Greenway.

The project would cost about $8 million in 2015 dollars, but no funds have been secured. Adopted plans intend to strengthen Monroe Street’s “neighborhood” character, from Southeast 21st Avenue in downtown Milwaukie to Linwood Avenue at the city’s eastern boundary, by reducing the speed and volume of cut-through traffic and increasing feelings of safety and comfort for all road users.
http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news...walking-biking

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 2:44 AM
A before E

It looks like downtown Milwaukie will be getting a new hipster infused bar. The C Bar is apparently planning on opening a bar/pinball spot on SE Scott and Main at the north end of downtown.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNU2B-Vj...by=builtblocks

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:24 AM
A before E

Milwaukie is getting a food cart site in downtown next to the light rail stop and they have a survey out to pick the name for it. I came up with calling it "Cartwaukie" and figured I would post the survey here in hopes to get some of you guys to weigh in on the voting and hopefully get my idea selected.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/foodcarts2

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Milwaukie is getting a food cart site in downtown next to the light rail stop and they have a survey out to pick the name for it. I came up with calling it "Cartwaukie" and figured I would post the survey here in hopes to get some of you guys to weigh in on the voting and hopefully get my idea selected.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/foodcarts2
You got my vote. I really liked the Mealwaukie too though.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 5:59 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
You got my vote. I really liked the Mealwaukie too though.
That one was good too, there were some really funny ones also.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 2:38 AM
A before E

Cartwaukie is a finalist, so feel free to help my selection win!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/foodcartsfinalvote

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 7:16 PM
A before E

Rumor has it that Bernard's Garage in downtown Milwaukie is closing May 1st to make way for a 70 unit apartment building with retail on the first floor.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 8:13 PM

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 8:48 PM

Good for Milwaukie! Hopefully it's the first of many. Lots of potential down there.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 10:21 PM
A before E

Thanks for the link cab, I had heard about this from someone but hadn't found any sources to back up the statement yet. I expected to see 17th in the Brooklyn neighborhood see new development before downtown Milwaukie does, but overall, downtown Milwaukie has a lot of potential in becoming a dense petite downtown. My hope is that we don't see it end up like Slabtown, where the developers try to milk $3000 a month rents out of the units. Downtown Milwaukie should be pushing for a more affordable urban experience.

Looks like this building will be bigger than I thought it was going to be.
"Bernard said, in addition to the Bernard's Garage building, the buildings currently occupied by his monthly tenants (Horizon Marketing Concepts and Revolve Vintage) will be part of the sale. The sale will not include the building currently occupied by Bloom Garden Supply."

The benefit in downtown Milwaukie is that there isn't much in the way of historic buildings worth preserving that haven't already been preserved. Both buildings that Revolve Vintage and Horizon Marketing are in may be older buildings, but nothing too important in regards to wanting to save.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 5:58 PM
A before E

Development coming to downtown Milwaukie in the form of a 5 story building by the new MAX Station, it will have 109 residential units and almost 9000 sq ft of retail. The developer is also in talks with Dark Horse, so we could also see a new office building on the way to help move Dark Horse offices out of first floor spots to help free up more retail space.

http://pamplinmedia.com/cr/24-news/3...town-milwaukie

Also, a new food cart site is currently under construction next to the MAX stop as well. No news on which carts will be opening up yet or what the name of the food carts site will be named yet, but it sounds like the city will be announcing that in the coming days. I am rooting for them to have picked my choice, Cartwaukie.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Development coming to downtown Milwaukie in the form of a 5 story building by the new MAX Station, it will have 109 residential units and almost 9000 sq ft of retail. The developer is also in talks with Dark Horse, so we could also see a new office building on the way to help move Dark Horse offices out of first floor spots to help free up more retail space.

http://pamplinmedia.com/cr/24-news/3...town-milwaukie

Also, a new food cart site is currently under construction next to the MAX stop as well. No news on which carts will be opening up yet or what the name of the food carts site will be named yet, but it sounds like the city will be announcing that in the coming days. I am rooting for them to have picked my choice, Cartwaukie.
It's not going to be cheap: Studios and one-bedroom apartments will rent for at least $1,300 a month, and two-bedroom apartments will fetch about $2,000 a month, Brenneke predicts.

Sellwood prices are spreading to Milwaukie.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 7:27 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
It's not going to be cheap: Studios and one-bedroom apartments will rent for at least $1,300 a month, and two-bedroom apartments will fetch about $2,000 a month, Brenneke predicts.

Sellwood prices are spreading to Milwaukie.
Pretty much, but even still, those prices are still on the low end compared to what is going up in Portland.

Also, the new food cart site next to the Max station has its grand opening August 4th, but a number of carts have already moved in and opened up. I haven't had the chance to get over there to check it out yet, but I hear they decided to go with the boring name choice of Milwaukie Station.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 6:43 AM
A before E

New development coming to downtown Milwaukie. It is a 5 story apartment building with retail along the first floor. It will be located at the Bernard Garage site by the light rail station.

For more on this building, go to page 227 for the full detail of what will be built. It has been approved by the Design Commission, though I am not sure when the beginning of construction would be.

https://www.milwaukieoregon.gov/site...c08222017p.pdf

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 4:09 PM
Semi-Lurker

Wow, that will be huge for that area. The design isn't anything to spectacular. Though it is fairly handsome in a generic infill sort of way. It will be interesting to see if this project acts as a catalyst for future development in that area. I am always glad to see these higher density developments near max lines in more suburban areas.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 5:12 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Last I heard, there are 5 projects for downtown Milwaukie, Mackenzie is doing a multi story mixed use/apartment project on the south side of downtown on highway 99 (next to the bridge), and there are several (3?) parks to be build in Milwaukie.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 7:13 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Last I heard, there are 5 projects for downtown Milwaukie, Mackenzie is doing a multi story mixed use/apartment project on the south side of downtown on highway 99 (next to the bridge), and there are several (3?) parks to be build in Milwaukie.
5 projects? I only know of this building that is in the planning stages. I haven't heard about Mackenzie doing anything in downtown Milwaukie. I know they recently renovated the Water Tower park out on 42nd, but I haven't heard of any other parks to be built.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 12:45 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Mackenzie is designing a mixed use building in the south end of downtown Milwaukie along 99 and Kellog Creek.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 5:47 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Mackenzie is designing a mixed use building in the south end of downtown Milwaukie along 99 and Kellog Creek.
I haven't seen anything about this yet.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 7:37 AM
A before E

Even Milwaukie tossed their name in the hat for Amazon.

several Portland area pitches for Amazon

While we already know the Portland metro doesn't have a real shot at this since they are looking for some place outside of the northwest, it is cool that Milwaukie submitted a bid. Not because Milwaukie could score Amazon, but because it is a great way to showcase what it is they want to do with the industrial area north of the downtown.

Milwaukie seems to want to have a new urban neighborhood by the Tacoma light rail station, along with tech companies to the south of this potential new neighborhood. I personally think this would be a great location for start up tech companies.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon