HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
He needs to make up his mind...

"Khan says many are reporting a 20 to 30 per cent drop in business and he’s personally lost “six figures” since losing street parking across from his McDermot Avenue restaurant two years ago." - November 2019

source: https://globalnews.ca/news/6234378/e...t-in-the-area/
That's really funny because precisely ZERO parking spots were removed for the bike lane. The south side of that block was all loading (4-5 spots) before the bike lane. But Obby relies on foot traffic so I don't think his customers were using the loading zone.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 12:06 AM

Nobody has even eaten a shawarma on a bike.

Also if you want vehicle traffic don't open a restaurant in the Exchange. Many strip malls to choose from.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 12:53 AM

^ It is starting to seem like that might be the wrong location for him, isn't it?

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 2:37 AM

Interestingly there are more parking spots directly in front of the Exchange location than the Graham one, yet no complaints over there.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Interestingly there are more parking spots directly in front of the Exchange location than the Graham one, yet no complaints over there.
The Graham location likely only relies on foot traffic...

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 12:47 PM

I'm noticing as the restaurants open up they are reducing the incentives to use them.

Boston Pizza for example is reducing their take out discount from 15% to 10% starting on Monday. I figure in a few more weeks they will be back to the no discount like they were before the closures started if enough people start coming back to eat in.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I'm noticing as the restaurants open up they are reducing the incentives to use them.

Boston Pizza for example is reducing their take out discount from 15% to 10% starting on Monday. I figure in a few more weeks they will be back to the no discount like they were before the closures started if enough people start coming back to eat in.
As they should. Find it kinda dumb they did that in the first place.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 4:12 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
It makes sense when if you want to encourage people to order directly from the restaurant and not use the delivery services. The restaurants take a huge hit with those delivery services (~40% clawed back from the price you pay for the food).

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 1:22 AM

Quote:
I think they should always have a different take out price. Personally I can't justify ordering take-out from a place like BP that will charge $38 for a takeout pizza. I get it somewhat at the restaurant that we're paying for eating out (building, staff etc) but there's no way that premium is justified on takeout orders. The quality of the food isn't good enough to compete with places that charge half as much for similar quality takeout.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 1:45 AM

Well BP is insanely overpriced for the crap you get. I don’t think takeout should be cheaper. Still have all the same overhead except a server, who’s there to upswell you with drinks, apps, and desserts when you dine in which covers that cost (and more). Then add tip.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 11:53 AM

^ With takeout you aren't occupying space at a table that someone needs to service and then clean up afterwards. Part of the cost of a restaurant meal is the actual dining experience (such as it is as Boston Pizza). A 10% off discount for takeout is pretty reasonable IMO.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 2:37 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Well BP is insanely overpriced for the crap you get. I don’t think takeout should be cheaper. Still have all the same overhead except a server, who’s there to upswell you with drinks, apps, and desserts when you dine in which covers that cost (and more). Then add tip.
Just to repeat - cost/quality of BP food aside - this is mainly an incentive for people to NOT use a delivery service and to order directly from the restaurant.

BP isn't the only restaurant to have this policy - quite a few of them do right now, and even if they don't, if you ask - they will usually offer a similar discount.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 6:04 PM

Oh how the times have changed... Bar Italia has become the model restaurant in COVID times lol. They have drastically reduced their outdoor seating, very strict about capacity (no pulling tables together, max 6 people, bouncer seats you), have tons of staff and bouncers working, separate entrance for washrooms that's fully closed off from the rest of the inside – you can't even walk through the patio to get there, must exit and go around. They've done an amazing job, and are still going to wait at least a week or two to open inside.

Meanwhile... Tommy's, Chaise (old Teo's), Arabian Nights, Arabesque, Ramallah, and Pony Corral GP were ALL shut down and fined up to $3500 Saturday for being over capacity. Chaise was absolutely packed, not distanced at all, and were letting people go to the bar and order drinks. Ramallah and Arabesque don't even have patios, they were serving indoors – insane.

---

In other news the owners of Sous Sol have started construction on a new restuarant in the old Hermano's/Blind Tiger in South Osborne. I think it might be a brunch place but don't quote me on that.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 10:19 PM

The Ness and York Robins Donuts properties are for sale. I know for sure Ness and St. Mary’s (Norwood) Robins shut down, not sure about York. Is this finally the end for Robins?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 12:00 AM

We still have the Robin's open at City Place. It's been one of the two quick service restaurants still open to service the remaining city 311 and MPI staff that are required to be in the office building

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 2:47 AM

^ What was the other one that remained open? If there were only two open over the past couple months, I'm surprised it wasn't McDonald's and Tim's as they are always the busiest food outlets in Cityplace.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 3:45 PM

Former Robin's on Ness isn't "for sale", it already sold and is currently under renovation. It will be reopening as a place focused on German food.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 4:52 PM
Ignore these four words.

There's a Robin's on Rte 90 near Eagle Dr.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
There's a Robin's on Rte 90 near Eagle Dr.
One on Selkirk @ route 62 as well. Did the one on McPhillips close? Personally find the donuts at Robins superior to Tims.

The Robins on Lag @ Grassie was converted to an independent donut shop but seems to pretty much be a Robins still. Same kind of donuts.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 5:21 PM

Doesn't Tim ship their product half baked from a central location in Ontario? I would doubt Robin's does that, but maybe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan