HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 4:52 PM

I think another major point to remember is that public spaces come in many forms. It doesn't have to be bike trails, trees, playgrounds, and tennis courts. The proposals I've seen for the Ex Grounds show lots of public spaces for gathering and enjoying the outdoors - but in a more urban fashion.

I think both the Ex Grounds as well as the old Rail Yards are prime for developments which are higher density but offer alternative spaces. Places with more public art, seating, fountains, etc.. where people can shop, walk, sit at an outdoor cafe, dine al fresco, and more.

A balance between traditional open green park space and public squares provide variety for residents and makes the overall community more appealing and energizing. I actually liked the proposal for the Ex Grounds with the public squares - specifically how they would be a part of the exhibition experience.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 5:01 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
I think another major point to remember is that public spaces come in many forms.
This is the correct approach. Park space is great, of course, but with Wilmot and Odell nearby I don't see much of the point in emulating that area. Create an urban space that can be multifaceted and used for different events and times of the year. Add residents, businesses, and commercial spaces, along with outdoor gathering spaces, and you'll see the urban fabric of Fredericton grow as a result. Downtown Fredericton has great bones for urban and density growth into the future and not doing so at the Ex Grounds would be a wasted opportunity in really creating and adding to the downtown urban core.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 7:25 PM

It seems that when presented with an opportunity to development a relatively large piece of property in an urban setting there's often a perception that using it for residential purposes is a waste or squandering an opportunity and that it should be used for some sort of more grand public purpose.

The more I learn about how cities work and what the current trends are, the more I believe that the opposite is true. It would be a waste not to have a significant residential component here. The opportunity to create 800-1200 new units of housing (including 160-240 affordable units) in a walkable urban setting does not come along often in a city the size of Fredericton. And looking at our current zoning regulations that's about 1/2-1/3 of the number of units that could fit on that site. So it strikes me that this is a pretty good balance between offering new residential space as well as public spaces and other amenities.

For the rest of this development to be successful it's also crucial to have a critical mass of residents that live within a ~10 minute walk. Currently most housing in this part of the city is fairly low density and in order to successfully create an additional downtown node absolutely requires a couple of thousand more people in the area. This is now doubly important considering that the opportunities to have a lot of employment on site are effectively nil.

It will also be very interesting to see how the development of the railyards plays out. Under our current zoning rules that site can support approximately 300 residential units which in combination with the other apartment buildings in that area and the number of offices could provide the tipping point for it to be yet another downtown node. So hopefully mixed use is in the cards for that area. There's also a few other redevelopment opportunities in the immediate vicinity that would contribute to the vibrancy and density of the area.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 1:21 AM
New Brunswick booster!

I see Brianna Drive in Bishop Heights is being extended to Hanwell. Looks like that anyway. They cleared the width of the street all the way down to Hanwell Rd anyway.

Edit: I always seem to be behind the time when it comes to updates haha

Last edited by KnoxfordGuy; May 10, 2021 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I see Brianna Drive in Bishop Heights is being extended to Hanwell. Looks like that anyway. They cleared the width of the street all the way down to Hanwell Rd anyway.
Yup, was mentioned a few pages back.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 12:08 PM

I noticed last night that the Subway in the stripmall where Yassou donair and GC bagel are has closed down. Not sure what that centre is called. At one point in the 90's that was the busiest Subway in Atlantic Canada. Might be due to slower student traffic from universities and its proximity to the Prospect location.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 1:06 PM

Made a gif of 37 years of Satellite photos of Fredericton.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 4:05 PM

May PAC agenda: https://www.fredericton.ca/sites/def...1pacagenda.pdf

40 new lots in Brookside West

Rezoning of the Neill's farm lands.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 4:08 PM

I agree with everyone's points. I did not mean to imply greenspace was the only option here. With that said, Odell and Wilmot have their own distinct uses (and capacities). I don't think adjacency to these means this area cannot be used for other recreation/public-space/flex-space purposes. If anything it is a plus as it promotes interconnected uses.

I think keeping more of this area as recreational now is a way of keeping the cities options open into the future. If these spaces are not being used optimally then it's much easier to add development down the road (essentially the exact situation we are in now). I'd rather the city set themselves up to be in that situation than the opposite.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyGuy View Post
Made a gif of 37 years of Satellite photos of Fredericton.

Watching Hanwell specifically is pretty neat. Thank you for this.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 11:27 AM

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 2:41 PM

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
What a fantastic development. I read there could be a boutique hotel as well. This is a really unique development to be so close (within) an urban setting and I expect it will see lots of news coverage and attention. Bravo Fredericton!

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
It's not good, but what can be done about it? Demand and the Market in the Maritimes (and across Canada) is so hot, the supply just can't come remotely close to meeting it.

I guess that explains why the site on Main/Union near Wendys (in front of the new apartments) has been deserted since the fall.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 8:57 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Deleted.

Last edited by KnoxfordGuy; May 9, 2021 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
One of the developers taljs about a foundation being poured and left, do any of you know where this is?
See my post just above yours. I believe it's the foundation on Main/Union street right next to Wendy's on the Northside, right in front of the new apartment building there.

The foundation was poured late last fall/early winter, and the site has been deserted ever since.

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 7:57 PM
New Brunswick booster!

How is this allowed? The first on Regent, a high traffic area, and the sidewalk looks like trash. The other building on Carleton sees much less foot traffic and looks perfectly complete.

Edit: Is the Regent sidewalk the way it is because the city plans to rip up the street for maintenance. I believe they wanted to last summer but didn't due to Covid?
by James McGrath, on Flickr

Some random shots of projects:

Art Gallery

Queen at the old legion grounds

And a crazy house that a witch probably lives in haha

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 8:05 PM

Yes I’m pretty sure the asphalt sidewalk is temporary.

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 10:16 PM

The Regent building wasn't 'complete' until early winter, so properly finishing the sidewalk wasn't really feasible at the time I think due to weather/winter.

The city is planning to redo that stretch of Regent this summer; so the builder probably got an exemption from finishing that stretch until the roadwork is done. It is unsightly, but it certainly isn't permanent.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 4:13 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Yet another attempt and opening a salon at the old Regis at the Regent Mall...lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces