HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 2:56 PM

All I see throughout social media is discussion of electoral reform. If we were to step back and look, regardless of which system helps which parties:

I understand how ranked choice ballets would work, and if I remember correctly, this is how party leaders a decided from all levels in the system. this system makes sense to me and allows people to vote for their local people how represent the people in their riding.

But can someone explain how proportional representation works and would actually help within Canada. If we look at the results out West essentially every riding was a +80% margin of victory. So in order to give them proportional reps, they would just transplant conservative reps throughout the Country they see fit?

How would even ballets work? Would Long, Atwin, Williamson even appear on ballots, or would you have just party leaders listed (American style)

Additionally, if Liberals won 70% of the popular vote (something crazy!) but nobody in Alberta voted for any Liberals... Would there just be zero MP's from Alberta in Parliament. Or just same logic could be inversely applied to Newfoundland if CPC got a significant popular vote throughout Canada.

In the end, I think proportional representation is a silly idea, and just don't understand how to apply it logically... maybe that's because I'm from the Maritimes where we would be hurt the most by this idea

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces