HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 9:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Quality heritage retention in Kitchener!

Jesus Christ!

Is this an exercise in making a mockery of historical preservationism???

Do they not have architects in Kitchener-Waterloo?????

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 10:23 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
It's been arrested and thrown in jail for being an inconvenience to condo developers. Reminds me of this gem in Toronto: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Jv6qcYJiyKXj9Dg18
In the same way students are prisoners of the dorm ghettos, so are the heritage buildings to new condos / student dorm ghetto towers. That is fucking horrendous. KW strikes again! Gives Laval a run for its money.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 10:24 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
It's been arrested and thrown in jail for being an inconvenience to condo developers. Reminds me of this gem in Toronto: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Jv6qcYJiyKXj9Dg18
Was about to post that one. We may have a new winner with the KW atrocity though, if only because the High Park "facade" isn't as immediately apparent.

Honourable mentions:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/58GsrWN1LMrJ79xT9

https://maps.app.goo.gl/JZM9vDRhPRyeXHPM6

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 10:32 PM
Fake News

In Calgary they think a commemorative plaque is good enough.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 12:09 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Jesus Christ!

Yes, but they graduate from Arkhitekturnaya Akademiya Ingushetii, the poorest region of Russia apparently

And this "design" is horrid. A crime against the eyes and against all Ontarians and Canadians

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 12:32 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Yes, but they graduate from Arkhitekturnaya Akademiya Ingushetii, the poorest region of Russia apparently

And this "design" is horrid. A crime against the eyes and against all Ontarians and Canadians
Your phrasing feels like a Danny Williams adlib lol A slap in the face of every Newfoundlander!

Agreed, though. Hideous.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 12:40 AM
Great White Norf

Send me some virtual Screech and a Dominion Ale, I'm a Newfoundlander at heart, b'y

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 1:00 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 1:16 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Quality heritage retention in Kitchener!

Perhaps they took a cue from this one in Vancouver, here with less weight on top, the idea seems to work better.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/EzPopsi7Qgk7hFSX7

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 3:13 AM

I am the same when it comes to surroundings. Someone was asking me for a recommendation on where to meet for a breakfast joint halfway between Brampton and Hamilton. I suggested some places like in Bronte Village, Streetsville and along Lakeshore. They ended up going to a boring strip plaza in Mississauga.

To me, surroundings make the experience better. The food or drink tastes better because I've already been conditioned just by arriving and then looking out the window, etc. If I am somewhere charming or somewhere that has character, then it just makes things better. Like food presentation, it's psychological and makes the experience better. Same with packaging, whether it's a cereal box or the label on a bottle of wine. We are human beings.

I know, lots of people don't care about their surroundings. They just care about the food itself or they just need somewhere to hang with people and get drunk. If a place is in the middle of nowhere, but the place itself is quite unique and an experience in and of itself, then I can see myself ending up there. 

Same with grocery shopping for me. I much prefer shopping at the Longos on Cornwall instead of Dundas (both Oakville) even though they are exactly the same. But the Cornwall one is across the street from the fancy rich neighbourhood with mansions and mature trees. It's also by the train tracks and next to a somewhat unique light industrial area on one side. Makes for a unique surrounding. The other location is just a normal run of the mill suburban shopping centre.

I prefer the Fortinos along Lakeshore instead of the Dundas one. The Dundas one is newer and has the awesome underground garage but the Lakeshore one is Downtown and surrounded by interesting housing. It's the kind of place you'd want to live in and want to go for a 5 minute walk or whatever to get a couple of things at the grocery store.

Another example would be the fish and chips in Uptown Oakville, which is the newer area by Walmart. The food could be great, but the drive there would be very boring. The surrounding big box retail would be boring to look at. While for the still original 70s decor fish and chips in Bronte Village, down by the lake, I'm already happier just by driving the route there. Then I eat my fish and chips and I'm looking forward to walking around the village or the lake shore for a few minutes afterwards.

And just thought of another example, where it's out of the way and just on its own, but other things make it worthwhile. Breakfast at Flap Jacks in Caledon, north of Brampton. We'd go there when I was growing up because it was getting out of suburbia and having a country experience close by. We'd enjoy driving in Escarpment country on the way there. Afterward we'd go walking around the Cheltenham Badlands or Forks of the Credit or Belfountain, etc. Actually my neighbour did this kind of thing the last two weekends. Went to the Lowville Bistro in the Burlington Escarpment and took his kid to the big playground there and walked the trail along the river. And then he went to a cafe and did some antiquing in Glen Williams, Georgetown. Both have nice drives along the way and surrounded by charm and/or nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
A lesbian couple I haven't seen in a few months invited me out tonight. They've got a lovely little home out in the suburban town of Paradise, so to them an invitation to a brewery at an industrial park practically in New Brunswick was reasonable. I, of course, am not going But holy shit. It's not on Streetview yet but this is where it's located:

Google helpfully marked my bus stop But no buses serve Paradise, as far as I know.

So the town has allowed a brewery to be established on a cul-de-sac in an industrial park in an area not served by buses and where most cabs won't go - it's an hours-long wait for a cab in St. John's on a slow weekend, and they'll often just decline a trip that isn't a reasonable turnaround time. And they'll wonder why drinking and driving stats are not improving Hideous.

I really am... too sensitive... to my surroundings. Some people get overcome with the weather and if it's grey, it sucks the joy out of absolutely everything for them. Urbanity is that for me. There is nothing and no one that could allow me to genuinely enjoy a brewery in a fucking industrial cul-de-sac. Might as well go get drunk in the woods.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 4:29 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Perhaps they took a cue from this one in Vancouver, here with less weight on top, the idea seems to work better.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/EzPopsi7Qgk7hFSX7

Hey.. this looks like a Gatineau proposal, sorta.

The Thread.

(ps - I don't find this particularly ugly)

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 8:14 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Goodness, these are fugly examples of facadism

I've seen some of them, but boy, that High Park Ave example is just so odd to me.
I'm not a fan of that Gatineau example, I think the house or the tower needs to be shifted/moved with it's volume so one doesn't look/feel to be overwhelming the other.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
There is nothing and no one that could allow me to genuinely enjoy a brewery in a fucking industrial cul-de-sac. Might as well go get drunk in the woods.
Don't knock it till you try it

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Jesus Christ!

what the actual fuck is this garbage???? ...what historacal preservation?... do they mean that buidling being sheilded by what looks like a hideous car port attached to an even more hideous tower?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 11:11 PM
Fake News

Pound for pound Kitchener Waterloo is worse than even Laval. Clockzilla's supremacy is unmistakable, whereas KW has so many monstrosities they battle for attention. Every direction is garish coloured student highrise ghettos.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 11:40 PM
Fake News

Can't decide which of these is worse:

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 10:40 PM
Fake News

A rare car tempo from Calgary:

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9118...8192?entry=ttu

There's a few more further down the road though hard to see with streetview.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 11:21 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Thanks for sharing that O-tacular. It blows me away how much Calgary has expanded in the span of those google streetview shots. I looked at angles from between 2012 and now from that section of the city, and it's incredible to see how different it looks. It's encouraging to see some of this new suburbia as denser development as well, even if the road network is woefully poor for future transit options.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 11:26 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Thanks for sharing that O-tacular. It blows me away how much Calgary has expanded in the span of those google streetview shots. I looked at angles from between 2012 and now from that section of the city, and it's incredible to see how different it looks. It's encouraging to see some of this new suburbia as denser development as well, even if the road network is woefully poor for future transit options.
The SE of the city in that area is very new. My community started in 2007. I watched the south health campus being built.

As to your point about transit, the reason there is that massive patch of grass between the road and those houses is that it's the ROW for the greenline lrt which is slated to run all the way past the hospital into Seton. So transit has been planned for. Just a matter of actually freaking building it as the greenline keeps getting delayed. There are multiple greenfield TOD sites along the route awaiting the train. Currently there is a brt running in its place.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 11:33 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
The SE of the city in that area is very new. My community started in 2007. I watched the south health campus being built.

As to your point about transit, the reason there is that massive patch of grass between the road and those houses is that it's the ROW for the greenline lrt which is slated to run all the way past the hospital into Seton. So transit has been planned for. Just a matter of actually freaking building it as the greenline keeps getting delayed. There are multiple greenfield TOD sites along the route awaiting the train. Currently there is a brt running in its place.
Wow, yeah that is quite new.
Oh, that's amazing, with regards to transit plans for the city, even if they are delayed. I had no idea higher order transit was considered, I simply thought bus service would be considered, mostly for more local routes. Thanks for filling in for me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada