HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 1:11 PM

I found the budget to be terrible in my honest opinion. I agree with some of the public sector layoffs but the extent is really far reaching. The province is a huge employer in my field and I know for a fact that they have 4-6 empty positions related to what I do that will likely be cut. The sad thing is that they actually need those employees but because they are on slash and burn rampage, those positions are likely out the door. When people hear about the 1200+ layoffs, they tend to automatically think that its 1200 paper pushers that really contribute little to governement processess. In reality, there are many positions that are extremely valuable that will ultimately be cut because department ministers think the job can be done by one instead of 2 or 3, but that is not always the case.

The other major dissappointment is the merger of the education boards. I will say that I will need to see the details of the merger but with my significant other being a new teacher, this will surely mean hard times ahead for her. For those not familar with how the boards are structured, if you want to teach in the eastern school district your best bet is to punch your time in that district. The boards hire based on work experience WITHIN the district, meaning teachers outside the eastern region are below those who punched their time in the region. With the merger of the boards, my significant other will not be bumped to the back of the entire province structure, despite actively subbing for almost two years. It really is a shame that new teachers have a hard time finding work and its only getting tougher with the new budget.

**EDIT**

Also... How did the magically manage to find 1 billion dollars in less than 7 days before the budget? Does anyone not find that strange?? Projected deficit was 1.6 billion a week prior to budget release with an estimated public sector layoff of about 500. Yet on budget day, the deficit is much lower at about 500-600 million yet the layoff is 1200+. Considering the budget books were propably in product a week or two leading up to yesterday; are they saying they had no idea that the deficit would be 1 billion less than they though just 7 days prior? Come on..

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's