HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 10:45 PM
New Yorker for life

NEW YORK | 360 W. 11th - Not so pretty in pink?

http://www.thevillager.com/villager_...tsopretty.html

Not so pretty in pink: Wraps come off Schnabel tower

Above, a view of Julian Schnabel’s new hot-pink high-rise at 360 W. 11th St. Below, the magenta monolith seen from another angle — through two of the Richard Meier-designed glass towers on West St.

By Lincoln Anderson
June 13 - 19, 2007

Artist Julian Schnabel’s latest, and by far largest, creation, a residential tower at 360 W. 11th St., had been kept under wraps during most of its construction. But with the work apparently nearing completion, netting that had been covering it was recently removed to reveal — a hot-pink high-rise. Andrew Berman, the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation’s director, said he suspects the worst.

“I don’t know for sure — but my fear is that this will be the color,” he said. “I think virtually any other color would be more acceptable.” Berman called the building — with arched windows and clay roof tiles — Mediterranean style. “What it actually looks like is a house you would see in the hills above Hollywood — if it was two stories. On the Greenwich Village waterfront at 17 stories, it’s a nightmare,” he said. The preservationist thought this very may well be intentional — that Schnabel wants to punish, with pink, those who opposed him.

“It almost looks as though he went to great pains to make this building as ugly as possible and to make it stick out like a sore thumb,” Berman observed.

Two years ago, G.V.S.H.P. and local residents began lobbying the Department of Buildings not to grant the project a permit, since the Far West Village rezoning, which would have prevented the height, was pending approval. Despite their protests, and videos of alleged after-hours work violations, D.O.B. issued the permit. The construction involved adding an 11-story addition atop a three-story former stable for a 167-foot-tall building.

On Monday, an assistant who answered the phone at Schnabel’s studio provided the artist/developer’s e-mail address. Schnabel did not respond to an e-mail request for comment by press time.

A building’s exterior color is not something requiring approval from the Department of Buildings, so D.O.B. has no information on what the building’s permanent color may be. The Landmarks Preservation Commission does oversee building color, but the site is not in a landmarked district.

Who knows......

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 11:22 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06162007...e_kronfeld.htm

VILLAGE HUE & CRY
PINK STINK OVER ARTIST'S TOWER

BRUSH BRISTLE: Preservationists say artist Julian Schnabel, who built up this West Village tower over their objections, added insult in injury by painting it pink.

By MELISSA JANE KRONFELD
June 16, 2007

Painter and filmmaker Julian Schnabel is getting the last laugh on historic preservationists who tried in vain to stop him from putting up a 17-story tower on West 11th Street.

The artist, who just won the Best Director prize at the Cannes Film Festival for "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," recently unveiled the building after painting it a garish shade of hot pink.

"It's awful, you know, it's an insult. And it's an irony that it's coming from an 'artist' who prides himself on his aesthetic contributions made to the world. This is clearly not one to be proud of," said Andrew Berman, director of the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation.

"People are dumbstruck," Berman said. "They knew the building would be grossly out of scale, but they had no idea how ugly it was going to be.

"It's hard to imagine what he's thinking. It's one thing to see a daring piece of new architecture, and you can say, 'That's not my taste, but I can appreciate what they are doing.' "

Although the construction added only 11 stories to a three-story former stable Schnabel had been using as his studio and home, locals say it's actually as tall as a 17-story building.

Berman said the building is an oversized version of a Southern California house, but on the Village waterfront.

"His legacy will be permanently tainted," Berman said. "This building will come to be known as Schnabel's folly."

News Video...
http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/local_...169174740.html

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 12:15 AM
Closed account

Thumbs up

That's bright

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
That's bright
It sucks, plain and simple.. really no good explanation for it. Dont know what the hel# was going through the architects mind.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 6:45 AM

Quote:
And it's an irony that it's coming from an 'artist' who prides himself on his aesthetic contributions made to the world.
where has this guy been? this is what goes for "art" these days... shock value for publicity.

anyhow i say people should throw eggs at the side of the building, it helps remove the paint

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 6:51 AM
designer&stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
where has this guy been? this is what goes for "art" these days... shock value for publicity.

anyhow i say people should throw eggs at the side of the building, it helps remove the paint
Sadly some "artists" feel that is what art is today. Also, the color is rubbish and I do not care for it.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 9:11 AM
Desert Dweller

Yikes.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 12:07 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.thevillager.com/villager_...edorpepto.html

Venetian red or Pepto pink? Schnabel’s color clash

A view from Washington St. of Julian Schnabel’s new 17-story tower on W. 11th St.

By Lincoln Anderson
June 20 - 26, 2007

Is the Mona Lisa smiling? Is Stonehenge a giant calendar? Are Jerry Garcia ties really worth 30 bucks?

These are some of the great artistic questions. It appears another one now must be added to the list: What color really is Julian Schnabel’s new building at 360 W. 11th St.?

What it’s definitely not is hot pink, according to a Schnabel associate who is working closely with the renowned artist and filmmaker on the new 17-story tower between Washington and West Sts.

Brian Kelly said Andrew Berman, director of the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation, was way off base in calling the tower “hot pink” in The Villager last week. And Kelly stressed that Schnabel certainly did not pick the shade to get back at neighbors for opposing the tower, as Berman suggested, but because he liked it.

Following The Villager’s report last week, the story was picked up by The New York Post and U.P.I., the global news wire service, as well as numerous real estate blogs.

Kelly invited The Villager up to the site on Monday afternoon to take a closer look at the building. A TV crew from Channel 2 News had just finished doing a story on the building’s color. The TV reporter had gotten Schnabel on the line from Europe, where he is currently traveling. According to a source, Schnabel called the building’s color “Pompeii red” — and was “quite upset” during the brief interview.

Kelly said the sudden media frenzy is distracting him from the task at hand of finishing the building. He says they still have two and a half to three months until completion.

At first, Kelly dubbed the building’s color “dusty rose” — then later said Schnabel is describing it as “Venetian red.”

“It’s straight out of Cuba, or Venice, or Florence,” Kelly said of the building’s design and color. “Venice mostly — it’s Venetian. There’s buildings like this in Naples, in Palermo, Sicily. If you go to Cuba, you see buildings like this. It’s more of a dusty rose color.”

The color will get deeper in the rain, and pollution will darken it over time, he added.

In addition, because the stucco didn’t cure properly, some of the white came through, Kelly noted. But he said Schnabel loved this fortuitous effect, which gave the paint a faded look — and ordered it not to be touched up.

Beyond the color, Kelly said the European-influenced building is quite unique. It has 18-foot-high ceilings. Its large French windows will open to catch great breezes off the Hudson River, he added. It’s built with solid, 3-foot-thick block walls — not sheetrock — he noted. Balcony railings will be made of brass. The floors will be mostly tile.

“There’s a lot going on here that doesn’t meet the eye, and Andrew Berman is not the authority on any of it,” he said.

Kelly challenged a reporter to poll passersby on their feelings on the building.

“We hate it!” spat a tall, silver-haired man as he purposefully strode down 11th St. carrying a gym bag. “We spent $5,000 to keep the son of a bitch from doing it.” Asked what color he thought it was, he retorted, “Blood red! — It’s the final color!”

Riding by on his bike, Michael Pomerantz, from Bethune St., said, “Well, it looks like wine. I don’t like the building. It’s ugly, it’s too tall for the neighborhood.”

Another man walking on Washington St. said, “I don’t particularly like it.” Asked what color he thought it was, he said, “Magenta, or something like that. It’s too tall. It interferes with the skyline, just like all the development…,” he said, nodding toward the waterfront.

A woman who works in the area and was on her lunch break, said, “It looks like a reddish-pinkish color to me. It looks old, too, like it’s washed out.”

Sid Levitt, an Upper West Sider who was visiting his wife at HB Studio, where she teaches acting, called Schnabel’s tower “dark pink.”

“The only thing is the color is a little controversial,” he said. “White might look a little better, but pink’s O.K.” He felt the building echoes other Mediterranean influences one can find in Village architecture.

“I think it’s red,” said Laura Stein, who was walking her dog. “I was against having that building. It’s too big. But I prefer it to the Richard Meier glass tower buildings. If I had known it was going to be red, I would have thought, ‘Oh, how horrible.’ But it does have those streaks — like beige paint ran down.”

“Pink to me is Pepto-Bismol,” stated John Drazin, a neighbor. “That to me is like a rusty, deep red,” he said of the building. “Also when it mixes with all the soot in the air the color will darken.”

Toni Dalton, the Westbeth resident who took the photo of the tower that ran in last week’s Villager, is a trained artist and knows her color tones.

“Right now, it’s hot pink with drippings,” she said of its exterior. “It’s an undercoating for the next coat, which I don’t have a clue what it will be,” she presumed. “Most people hate it — except for some artists that I know, including me, love it.

“The building itself is so beautiful with its arched windows and doors leading to very large terraces,” Dalton said. “Each floor is different and the ceilings are very high. It’s so European. The color right now is so much fun. It’s such a relief from these big glass towering monsters that they’re assaulting us with here in our used-to-be Village. It’s so interesting.”

Meanwhile, for his part, Berman, G.V.S.H.P.’s director, remains unapologetic for calling the building hot pink.

“I heard they were calling it ‘Pompeii red,’” he said. “It’s splitting hairs. The color is just the icing on the cake, unfortunately. I would challenge Schnabel to show me a 17-story enormous box of a building like that anywhere in Florence or Naples. Frankly, I don’t care if it’s pink, green or blue — it’s still totally inappropriate.”

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 4:21 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

First, off, this building is F-UUU-GLY! Whew! Sounds like the 'hood needs to have a bunch of their graffiti artists rappel off the side of the building and give it a good mural treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post

Hmm, not too up on the art scene for the past 100 years, are you? You know, there was this guy, who even made art out of soup cans! Bastard. Everyone knows that real art is pointilism:

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 12:08 PM
Bionic Boogie

i saw this building the other day...and i was fascinated but it...really beautiful!!

I LOVE IT
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 1:01 PM

I'm so glad this is happening in NY and not in Malmö. But I actually think it's cool.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 5:18 PM
The True Avatar

I rather like it. If it were grey, tan, white, or brown, it would not be very noticeable. With this "pink" color it helps the building stick out. It is a nice design that should be noticed.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2007, 4:20 AM
tilted & shifted

Very Havana.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2007, 5:19 PM

This is almost worse than the Pepto-Bismol Lofts in Philly. However, those are even worse because this one is at least built to be outrageous; that Philly whack job, however, is advertised as an old-style "authentic" construction.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2007, 9:10 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I rather like it actually, but I'd like it more if it hadn't fallen victim to the "McMansion Window Formula," which states that every room may enjoy one inch of glass window for every four hundred feet of floor space. Those weensy little windows look like arrow slits.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jul 14, 2007, 11:25 PM
Bah!

That has got to be absolutely blinding when the sun hits it.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 8:40 AM
TL;DR

The first photos are with full sun, so as to put the building in the worst light possible (pun intended).

The later photos in the thread show the building with less sunlight, on an overcast day, and the color is tolerable.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 1:17 PM
New Yorker for life

I haven't seen it in person, but I don't think it's so horrible. The fact that the NIMBYs are disgusted is hilarious. Imagine if it were 3 times the height...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture