HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly View Post
I wouldn't say St Louis Metro is "an order of magnitude worse than Chicago." That's 2.8 million people! So Chicago with 2.6 million has 460 more homicides. St. Louis proper had 176 homicides thru Dec. 3rd and that is terrible, 55 per 100,000.
Look at the density, the St. Louis urban area not including commuter towns is 900-something square miles. The whole metro is 8,000-9,000 square miles. They're different categories for me. Too different in size.

I didn't agree with that guy anyway rate-wise, Chi's MSA this year will be very similar to St. Louis' last year which was 10.5 per 100,000. Don't know if St. Louis has increased or not.

Quote:
When you break down the "Chiraq" element to the city you will find there are no more dangerous areas in the world. Englewood and West Englewood have a combined population of 58,000 or so and have tallied 86 homicides in 2016. That is a rate of 146. The East and West Garfield Park neighborhoods have 57 homicides with a population of 38,000 for a rate of 150. North Lawndale has 32 homicides with a population of 32,000 for a rate of 100.
You were talking about Gary which I would include in Chicago's numbers. People who are familiar with my posts know the way I do things (look thru my comments for more info) but Englewood as bad as anywhere in the world? You're talking about 'developed' world, right? I wouldn't even be sure of that. I would like to see NOLA or Detroit broken down to similar-sized areas.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 11:01 PM
Aimless Wanderer

City of Toronto (pop. 2.8 million) at 66 now.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 1:08 AM

Let's combine 17 Chicago's western, southern and southwestern neighborhoods into one concluded area called Chiraq. Into this area we will include next neighborhoods:
- West side: Austin, Humboldt Park, East & West Garfield Park and North Lawndale;
- Southwest side: Little Village and Brighton Park;
- South Side: New City, Fuller Park, Washington Park, Greater Grand Crossing, West & East Englewood, Auburn Gresham, Chatham, Roseland and Washington Heights.

Taking into account population decline rate from previous two censuses Chiraq's population in 2016 would stand around 610.000 people. West Chiraq has around 210.000, Southwest Chiraq has around 120.000 and South Chiraq has around 280.000 inhabitants.

Up to saturday 12/18/2016 Chiraq already logged 502 murders. Yes, you read it right. 502 with population of around 610.000 individuals.

New York City holds the second place with 320 murders up to 12/5/2016 (8.5 milion inhabitants);
Baltimore is the third with 306 murders up to 12/18/2016 (605.000 inhabitants);
Fourth place for Los Angeles with 292 murders up to 12/18/2016 (3.8 million inhabitants);
Detroit ends top 5 with 291 murders up to 12/9/2016 (around 675.000 inhabitants).
Don't want to go further, anybody can notice the huge gap between Chiraq and all other places in country.

If this isn't convinceable enough I will just divide Chiraq into three geographical areas:

West Chiraq (17.18 sq miles):
Population: 210.000
Murder toll up to 18/12/16: 203
Murder rate up to 12/18/2016: 97.0

Southwest Chiraq (6.00 sq miles):
Population: 120.000
Murder toll up to 12/18/2016: 30
Murder rate up to 12/18/2016: 25.0

South Chiraq: (31.93 sq miles):
Population: 280.000
Murder toll up to 12/18/2016: 269
Murder rate up to 12/18/2016: 95.6

*Above is the map of Chiraq area. Neighborhoods with murder rates above 150 are painted black, hoods with murder rates between 100 and 150 are painted dark red, hoods with murder rates between 50 and 100 are painted red and the safest hoods with murder rates between 20 and 50 are painted orange.

Will add two more cents. Chiraq compared to other most dangerous cities in the US.

St Louis, which was last year named the murder rate capital of US, has logged 188 murders in 2015 with population around 305.000 at that time (Murder rate: 61.6).
West Chiraq logged 203 murders up to 12/18/16 with 95.000 smaller population.

Baltimore was last year by some "experts" pronounced even more dangerous than St. Louis, because it had almost the same murder rate and almost double population. Even though that Baltimore was always mentioned, when worst crime areas in US were discussed, in 2015 the city experienced its worst times ever. And that fact was mentioned in every news where crime in the US was analyzed. Ferguson effect, new drugs from pharmacies that were looted during the riots, etc.
In 2015 Baltimore logged 344 murders with population around 605.000 (Murder rate: 56.9)
Chiraq stands this year at 502 with almost the same population (Murder rate: 82.4).

In statistical terms it just hangs miles ahead of all "most dangerous" cities in US. Looks like an area in totally different crime class, like experiment gone really bad, an example of most extreme results of racial segregation, a heaven for gang members that wanna shoot, kill, be shot, be killed; a result when you combine interests of most violent Mexican cartel and the toughest US gangs... Chiraq's numbers in '16 just set new standards for crime archives with murder rates rarely seen even in the peak of crack epidemics when game was really about large amounts of money and not about gangs (well more like one/two block cliques/sets whatever) trying to catch as much bodies as possible and retaliate on as many opps as it gets. For example, last week, one (former) gang member of O'Block went to 4 funerals (everything is documented on twitter) - all violent deaths resulted by various gang wars. Today a quardruple homicide took place in the south side, fifth victim is in critical condition with gunshot wound to the head, only a two year old kid was spared. And the city just spirals more and more deeply into violence, it looks like retaliation cycle gets heavier every day with nobody even caring much.

That's how dangerous Chiraq really became, something just went totally down this year. It probably won't be explained years from this point, because Chiraq savages are on some other stuff right now.

*Before you even start. New Orleans and Detroit both had lesser murder tolls & rates than Baltimore so it just don't make sense to include those cities in consideration.

Last edited by Laborant; Dec 18, 2016 at 1:49 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 2:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmotorfinger View Post
You were talking about Gary which I would include in Chicago's numbers. People who are familiar with my posts know the way I do things (look thru my comments for more info) but Englewood as bad as anywhere in the world? You're talking about 'developed' world, right? I wouldn't even be sure of that. I would like to see NOLA or Detroit broken down to similar-sized areas.

There is no metric by which I could be persuaded that a 3 square mile area like Garfield Park where there has been 60 murders and 400 wounded shooting victims along with countless other shootings that didn't produce injuries is somehow not among the most dangerous places on earth with respect to cities not actively at war.

I'm not sure if Detroit or any other U.S. city has a neighborhood like Fuller Park with 150 crimes per 1,000 residents. I know for a fact there is no 3 sq. mile area in any city generating 60 homicides. In Detroit, to equate for the size difference, there would have to be a 1 square mile area with 20 homicides and a population of 10,000 to equate for the size difference. If that area existed it would probably making national headlines but I could be wrong.

As per your other point, even including developing nations Englewood and Garfield Park's approximate rate of 150 and 160 respectively are far greater than cities like Caracas, Cape Town and Juarez. I have no idea about their breakdowns by area which could realisticlly be worse than Chicago's neighborhoods. Though as I said back when Gary was the "Murder Capitol of the World" multiple areas in Chicago were more deadly with higher crime rates. IIRC, the CPD's 11th District reported more crimes than all of Gary which had 120,000 people at the time. Either way, East St. Louis with Englewood's population would have a projected 40 homicides. Englewood has 85.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 2:33 AM
BANNED

4 people were killed in a shooting today and 1 more victim is critically injured in Roseland bringing Chicago's total to 769.

http://wgntv.com/2016/12/17/5-people...onfirmed-dead/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 2:34 AM
BANNED

edit

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 2:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laborant View Post
Let's combine 17 Chicago's western, southern and southwestern neighborhoods into one concluded area called Chiraq. Into this area we will include next neighborhoods:
- West side: Austin, Humboldt Park, East & West Garfield Park and North Lawndale;
- Southwest side: Little Village and Brighton Park;
- South Side: New City, Fuller Park, Washington Park, Greater Grand Crossing, West & East Englewood, Auburn Gresham, Chatham, Roseland and Washington Heights.

Taking into account population decline rate from previous two censuses Chiraq's population in 2016 would stand around 610.000 people. West Chiraq has around 210.000, Southwest Chiraq has around 120.000 and South Chiraq has around 280.000 inhabitants.

Up to saturday 12/18/2016 Chiraq already logged 502 murders. Yes, you read it right. 502 with population of around 610.000 individuals.

New York City holds the second place with 320 murders up to 12/5/2016 (8.5 milion inhabitants);
Baltimore is the third with 306 murders up to 12/18/2016 (605.000 inhabitants);
Fourth place for Los Angeles with 292 murders up to 12/18/2016 (3.8 million inhabitants);
Detroit ends top 5 with 291 murders up to 12/9/2016 (around 675.000 inhabitants).
Don't want to go further, anybody can notice the huge gap between Chiraq and all other places in country.

If this isn't convinceable enough I will just divide Chiraq into three geographical areas:

West Chiraq (17.18 sq miles):
Population: 210.000
Murder toll up to 18/12/16: 203
Murder rate up to 12/18/2016: 97.0

Southwest Chiraq (6.00 sq miles):
Population: 120.000
Murder toll up to 12/18/2016: 30
Murder rate up to 12/18/2016: 25.0

South Chiraq: (31.93 sq miles):
Population: 280.000
Murder toll up to 12/18/2016: 269
Murder rate up to 12/18/2016: 95.6

*Above is the map of Chiraq area. Neighborhoods with murder rates above 150 are painted black, hoods with murder rates between 100 and 150 are painted dark red, hoods with murder rates between 50 and 100 are painted red and the safest hoods with murder rates between 20 and 50 are painted orange.

Will add two more cents. Chiraq compared to other most dangerous cities in the US.

St Louis, which was last year named the murder rate capital of US, has logged 188 murders in 2015 with population around 305.000 at that time (Murder rate: 61.6).
West Chiraq logged 203 murders up to 12/18/16 with 95.000 smaller population.

Baltimore was last year by some "experts" pronounced even more dangerous than St. Louis, because it had almost the same murder rate and almost double population. Even though that Baltimore was always mentioned, when worst crime areas in US were discussed, in 2015 the city experienced its worst times ever. And that fact was mentioned in every news where crime in the US was analyzed. Ferguson effect, new drugs from pharmacies that were looted during the riots, etc.
In 2015 Baltimore logged 344 murders with population around 605.000 (Murder rate: 56.9)
Chiraq stands this year at 502 with almost the same population (Murder rate: 82.4).

In statistical terms it just hangs miles ahead of all "most dangerous" cities in US. Looks like an area in totally different crime class, like experiment gone really bad, an example of most extreme results of racial segregation, a heaven for gang members that wanna shoot, kill, be shot, be killed; a result when you combine interests of most violent Mexican cartel and the toughest US gangs... Chiraq's numbers in '16 just set new standards for crime archives with murder rates rarely seen even in the peak of crack epidemics when game was really about large amounts of money and not about gangs (well more like one/two block cliques/sets whatever) trying to catch as much bodies as possible and retaliate on as many opps as it gets. For example, last week, one (former) gang member of O'Block went to 4 funerals (everything is documented on twitter) - all violent deaths resulted by various gang wars. Today a quardruple homicide took place in the south side, fifth victim is in critical condition with gunshot wound to the head, only a two year old kid was spared. And the city just spirals more and more deeply into violence, it looks like retaliation cycle gets heavier every day with nobody even caring much.

That's how dangerous Chiraq really became, something just went totally down this year. It probably won't be explained years from this point, because Chiraq savages are on some other stuff right now.

*Before you even start. New Orleans and Detroit both had lesser murder tolls & rates than Baltimore so it just don't make sense to include those cities in consideration.
Excellent post, well articulated and thorough breakdowns. I've been trying to explain how Chicago isn't about money and drug territory any more. It's all about EBK renegade/insane shit. 4's are beefing with Lords, some BD's flipped Almighty. GD's are GDK ....Stones and GD's clicked up etc.. Social media is playing a major role too. I've got family in Roseland on 103rd, Princeton Park, the Low End and Englewood and it's worse today than I can remember.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 10:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I'd like to know how Indians do in Indiana. That's what I would like to know.

Haha can't believe I missed this Comment, I have to admit this is one of the few times I seriously love u MolsonExport!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 6:43 PM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 6:46 PM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Excellent post, well articulated and thorough breakdowns. I've been trying to explain how Chicago isn't about money and drug territory any more. It's all about EBK renegade/insane shit. 4's are beefing with Lords, some BD's flipped Almighty. GD's are GDK ....Stones and GD's clicked up etc.. Social media is playing a major role too. I've got family in Roseland on 103rd, Princeton Park, the Low End and Englewood and it's worse today than I can remember.

never seen this stuff with people sending each other images of their dead brothers and friends over twitter in public before this year, calling people out to certain corners, which they proceed to go to to have a gunfight

I'd link some but I assume it's frowned

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 2:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
never seen this stuff with people sending each other images of their dead brothers and friends over twitter in public before this year, calling people out to certain corners, which they proceed to go to to have a gunfight

Ya you're right. It's so crazy the people are snitching on themselves on social media and walking away. They will even announce who they are going to kill. A couple semi-famous rappers have claimed their accounts were hacked after laughing about some rivals being killed and saying they know who did it. I guess police can't make arrests because they can claim they weren't the ones who made the post or they were just trolling or whatever. Before the gangs had to have an encounter on the street, sell drugs on rival ground or make a trip to a rival neighborhood and seek members out to spark a war. Now they can sit on a bed and create a major conflict. Their reputations and street credit makes them have to respond to every challenge or risk being called out on the internet which will spill over to being tried on the streets.

Last edited by Siriusly; Dec 24, 2016 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 12:23 PM
don't *meddle*...

http://heyjackass.com/

Chicago Homicides as of now: 773. This is just insane, the city is approaching 800 ...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post

https://twitter.com/064_OBeezy/statu...43576081694720

Let me explain this. O'Block gang member is mocking Tookaville gang member with showing him picture of his dead brother (Tutu) who was also member of Tookaville gang and got killed. This picture was taken by hitman who killed him, just seconds after he shot him several times.

By Chiraq standards this is a normal way to mock your opps and laugh at their dead brothers, sisters, mothers, relatives, close friends... Gang members piss on graves of their dead opps, record themselves and post those videos on walls of brothers of those dead guys (which are usually also members of the same gang).

So yeah, those unique murder rates (by nowadays standards) in Chiraq are not a coincidince but a reflection of really sick, twisted and mentally ill conditions in that area.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 3:31 AM
Old Fart Forumer

The Ithaca area has about one murder a year, and usually only one every five years in the city. Since September there have been two murders in the city and one in the suburbs.

The latest one is the most bizarre (from the Cornell Daily Sun):

http://cornellsun.com/2016/12/21/man...-donald-trump/

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laborant View Post
https://twitter.com/064_OBeezy/statu...43576081694720

Let me explain this. O'Block gang member is mocking Tookaville gang member with showing him picture of his dead brother (Tutu) who was also member of Tookaville gang and got killed. This picture was taken by hitman who killed him, just seconds after he shot him several times.
A little bit update on this story for better understanding of Chiraq's violence.

The hitman who killed his brother was shot yesterday morning with female bystander. He drove her in the hospital but she died on their way over there. The hospital doesn't want to give any information about his condition. That's the second time he has been shot since 25th October, when he took three bullets to his upper body. He was released from hospital just one month ago.

12 hours later a retaliation for this shooting took place at a house party. An unknown male killed a man who they think was the hitman at previously mentioned incident. And of course, this wasn't enough. He also shot five other gang members just to send a message. According to words on the street the real drama has just begun.

*edit: According to last news the retaliation shooting left 2 people dead and five injured.

*edit#2: Dead guys from retaliatory shooting were brothers, guy shot from first incident is in grave condition (meaning he is not expected to recover). He was shot in the face, chest, hand, foot & drove himsfelf and female bystander to the hospital in that condition with police cars in front and behind of his vehicle (no, these are not speculative words on the street but confirmed information from reliable sources). In hospital he fell in grave condition. Still can't believe this, but yeah it actually is true. This is the year for the books in Chiraq and those stories will be told for decades. Definitely.

Last edited by Laborant; Dec 26, 2016 at 9:56 PM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 2:04 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Chicago made the headlines on DER SPIEGEL - "bloody christmas in Chicago". Usually the Spiegel doesn't report such things, but since things "are out of control"...

- Chicago Total Homicides: 783.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 4:46 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

excellent article on the chicago violence from NY times, reiterating some of the points made by forumers..

Bored, Broke and Armed: Clues to Chicago’s Gang Violence

Quote:
CHICAGO — The young men who call themselves Gangster Disciples skirted by an empty lot. They marched past a “Stop the Violence” mural painted on a corner store, coming to a halt when they saw members of a rival gang, the Black Disciples.

It was late September on a busy South Side intersection, and now tensions were escalating, gang members who were there recalled.

There were glares, they said. Then words.

“You’re a rat,” a Black Disciple said to one of the Gangster Disciples who he believed had given the police information about him.

Things were about to blow.

It had been exactly 90 days since some of these same men had sat across from one another in an airy church hall to broker peace and confront a hard truth: The gang war they had inherited and were viciously continuing was helping to unravel parts of this city, where the levels of violence were reaching horrific new heights.
Quote:
With 739 murders as of Wednesday, 2016 has been Chicago’s deadliest year since 1997. Six fatalities came during Memorial Day weekend, when The New York Times tracked 49 shootings involving 64 victims over three days. One of the shooting survivors from that weekend was a Gangster Disciple known as Mexico, shot in his right leg on May 29 when tensions flared between the same factions that were about to square off in front of the store, New Food Inc.
Quote:
An overwhelming majority of the city’s 3,451 shootings this year were gang-related, the police say. What that means has become increasingly fuzzy, as the large, well-organized operations built around drug dealing have splintered, and are now little more than cliques or sets.

The Times spent several weeks this fall with gang members to get a better understanding of what it means to be in a gang. They were often days of boredom, punctuated by bursts of drama and bravado. Gang life means animated debates over whether the guys on the next block meant to insult you or not. It means worrying over how to make enough for your next meal or your next high. And it means mourning the loss of loved ones, retaliating in their honor, yet wanting the cycle to stop.

Ron, a 23-year-old Black Disciple who uses the nickname Kaos, and for safety reasons asked that his last name not be used, explained the relentless cycle of violence: I’ve already lost friends. If we are making money, I can ignore the urge to retaliate. “But if we’re sitting here bored, getting high and we got guns around, it ain’t nothing else to do,” he added.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 11:45 PM
Posh

Deadly Christmas weekend in Chicago: 12 people fatally shot
Quote:
Ninety percent of those killed had gang affiliation, criminal history and had been identified as potential offenders or victims of gun violence, said Johnson. Forty-five guns were seized over the weekend, he said.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 12:26 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

so does this just burn out on its own eventually?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions