HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 3:35 AM

There was a small cinder-block building on the corner - I think the signs were in front of the building.

It's nice to see. I wish the building connected to pedestrian nodes downtown, but hey, is is vastly better than a vacant lot.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmsma View Post
There was a small cinder-block building on the corner - I think the signs were in front of the building.

It's nice to see. I wish the building connected to pedestrian nodes downtown, but hey, is is vastly better than a vacant lot.
I'm certainly excited to see that one go up.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 9:54 PM
April Melissa Sandever

Quote:
A new office development off of Taylor Drive, kitty-corner from the Red Deer Regional Hospital. There has been a sign with a rending of the office up for years and years now. Interesting - my wife drove by yesterday - construction has now actually started. I'm not sure how the financial math on this even works, because downtown already has two decently sized, newish buildings that - to the best of my knowledge - have no tenants at all...

Anyhow, here is a link to the Berry Architecture website with renderings and a description of the project.

Thanks for the link with the other renderings included! Seems to be a great way to fill an empty lot, and make usable space useful for the community of Red Deer! Would be great to see this project complete with photos!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
Interestingly, Hudsons Pub is setting up shop in the bottom of Stantec Executive Place.

I could be wrong about it, but a major pub like that right in the heart of downtown just might be a great thing for the centre of downtown. Grand opening is slated for April 22nd.
Hudsons is finished. Closing permanently Dec. 28th.

https://rdnewsnow.com/2019/12/17/hud...edium=facebook

The Executive for the Downtown Business Association had a remark on the facebook post made by RD News Now that got themselves in some hot water.

They said -

Amanda Gould from Downtown Business Association says
"I don’t think there is a struggle or a challenge in that part of downtown, to be honest. I think that’s just the natural turnover of business.”

DBA responded here:
https://www.facebook.com/downtownred...type=3&theater
Are going insane.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 8:39 PM
April Melissa Sandever

Unhappy

Quote:
Hudsons is finished. Closing permanently Dec. 28th.

https://rdnewsnow.com/2019/12/17/hud...edium=facebook

The Executive for the Downtown Business Association had a remark on the facebook post made by RD News Now that got themselves in some hot water.

They said -

Amanda Gould from Downtown Business Association says
"I don’t think there is a struggle or a challenge in that part of downtown, to be honest. I think that’s just the natural turnover of business.”

DBA responded here:
https://www.facebook.com/downtownred...type=3&theater
Thanks for the heads up on the Hudsons's closing! Still have a few days to get in and have one last pint before the doors close on the 28th! Kinda sad to see it go.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Hudsons is finished. Closing permanently Dec. 28th....
That didn’t last long! Only a few years, IIRC?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
That didn’t last long! Only a few years, IIRC?
Yah, they opened in April 2016.

Downtown Red Deer is just dead. It just has nothing really going for it. City needs to do something but I dunno how to bring it back to life. So many business has either closed permanently or moved out of downtown.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 7:35 PM
April Melissa Sandever

Looks like I won't get a chance after all to say goodbye to Hudsons before the 28th! Seasons Greetings to all!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 9:06 PM

Don't think it's been mentioned, but Purolator is building a new terminal in the Queens Business Park, approx 30k sq ft, opening in May.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 6:54 PM

^ Didn't know that. Thanks!
Are going insane.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 1:02 AM
April Melissa Sandever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Don't think it's been mentioned, but Purolator is building a new terminal in the Queens Business Park, approx 30k sq ft, opening in May.
Good to know, thank for the update! Wonder if there is any pictures or updates on the progress of Purolator terminal?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 3:47 AM

Hi folks, nice to see you all here. And yes, terrific news about the new Purolator terminal.

Here's an article I found a week ago about the new court house:

Quote:
Red Deer’s new justice centre on track for summer construction start
$97-million justice centre to feature 12 courtrooms

PAUL COWLEY Jan. 23, 2020 11:15 a.m.

Red Deer’s promised courthouse remains on track despite the provincial government’s tight finances.

It was previously announced that the estimated $97-million project was to be tendered this winter, aiming for a 2023 completion date.

That plan appears to be on schedule.

“Alberta Infrastructure is in the final stages of putting the Red Deer Justice Centre to construction tender,” said Hadyn Place, an Alberta Infrastructure spokesperson.

“A contract is expected to be awarded this spring with construction projected to begin in summer 2020,” said Place in an email.

“We understand the limitations of current justice facilities in Red Deer, and this project shows our commitment to addressing the vital infrastructure requirements of Central Alberta.”

Red Deer mayor says court case affected by prosecutor shortage

The new justice complex will have 12 courtrooms, with the capacity to increase it to up to 16 in the future. It will be built at 4811 49th St. on the site of the former downtown RCMP detachment office, which was demolished last spring.

See full article

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 7:21 PM

Cinemas Guzzo coming to Red Deer?

I was curious about was the possibility that Guzzo Cinemas would be expanding to Red Deer. Here are two articles - the first from 2018, the other from November of 2019 - referencing these expansion plans:

From the Globe and Mail
And from a Canadian marketing magazine called Strategy

Has anyone heard anything about this expansion? It would be nice to have more choice than Galaxy Cinemas and Carnival!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 7:05 PM
April Melissa Sandever

Wink

Quote:
Hi folks, nice to see you all here. And yes, terrific news about the new Purolator terminal.

Here's an article I found a week ago about the new court house:
Very insightful article! Thanks @Willmsma! Hopefully they will break ground soon and we can get some awesome pics!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissasandever View Post
Very insightful article! Thanks @Willmsma! Hopefully they will break ground soon and we can get some awesome pics!
Thanks Melissa. I'm hoping that - once completed - the new justice centre might inject a little bit more life into the downtown. It could certainly use it right now.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissasandever View Post
Good to know, thank for the update! Wonder if there is any pictures or updates on the progress of Purolator terminal?
The building shell is done, inside finishing is taking place. Still set to open in May.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 4:00 AM

I just read that the Justice Centre project could have shovels in the ground this summer if all goes well. Have a design/renderings been shared with the public thus far?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 4:27 PM

🦗🦗🦗 (crickets)

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I just read that the Justice Centre project could have shovels in the ground this summer if all goes well. Have a design/renderings been shared with the public thus far?
Haven't been following the new Justice Centre project. But yes, the site appears ready to start building on so it should start happening this summer. Downtown is so dead, especially now with COVID. Westerner Park is, apparently, in financial ruin according to the city. Economy is trashed. City feels like it's dying.

Quote:
I was curious about was the possibility that Guzzo Cinemas would be expanding to Red Deer. Here are two articles - the first from 2018, the other from November of 2019 - referencing these expansion plans:

From the Globe and Mail
And from a Canadian marketing magazine called Strategy

Has anyone heard anything about this expansion? It would be nice to have more choice than Galaxy Cinemas and Carnival!
I don't see this happening for a long time, if at all. I'd be the first to welcome a new theater in town, but I don't see how this one works out. Would certainly be nice tho. I do enjoy going to Galaxy tho.

Edit: you reminded me to send an email to Cineplex regarding AVX auditorium expansion.
Are going insane.

Last edited by the.tru.albertan; May 5, 2020 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apey View Post
The new Purolator terminal is opening next Monday, May 25th.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia