HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 12:18 AM

Don't be surprised. This is the very reason why the approval process of neighborhood meetings and plan commission approval is such a difficult process. You aren't ever really going to know the whole story unless you are looking at the permit drawings. All you'll ever get is "we'll try"'or "attempt to" or "plan to" or "retain the look of". And people wonder why the process is so difficult.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
are you kidding me with this
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...tal-demolished

oh fuck you

SO WHY DID YOU SELL THE ENTIRE CITY ON THE NOTION YOU WERE GOING TO DO EXACTLY THAT

ok now im angry. at what point does anyone ever get held accountable for this bullshit.
And even listed on the website as "historic restoration" (under the Images tab)

http://www.mccafferyinterests.com/po...-redevelopment

Not even moved off the street in the renderings - ostensibly a reason to replace it

Nellie Black was a somewhat similar situation in that the replacement was a similar-looking building in the renderings; many people who were not paying close attention may not have realized the developer's true intent.

Last edited by VKChaz; Nov 15, 2016 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 2:03 PM

Wasn't sure which page to put this on. Pretty cool if your into the old school art deco stuff, and if you happen to have an extra 6 G's lying around.

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/11/11...-new-years-eve

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
My friend got a really good deal a few years ago near Argyle - $130K for his 1000 sq ft 1 bedroom condo. Completed renovated and not a high HOA. Pretty crazy.

Bronzeville has more investment than people realize - it's definitely not idle and there's some really nice homes there - old and new. It has way more vacant lots, but the vacant lots are a steal compared to other parts of town. Of course, less things there, but more has been coming, slowly. I think it's positioned pretty well considering it's near the lake and that to me is more attractive for investors versus somewhere like McKinley Park which isn't near the lake. MP has the train too though so it might come more and more (there's been a small amount of investment there).
After renting for years in Margate Park, we bought a 2bdrm on Kenmore just off Foster for 150k in 2010 with a reasonable assessment and good reserves. Prices really haven't moved much since then.

It's a wonderful relatively affordable area of the city to live if you don't mind sharing the neighborhood with the less fortunate. Which I've come to realize some people very much do care.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 2:40 PM

Quote:
So the old White Elephant at Lincoln and Halsted is toast. What about the similar looking terracotta building at Lincoln and Fullerton? Also going bye-bye?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 3:49 PM

McHackfrey strikes again!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
After renting for years in Margate Park, we bought a 2bdrm on Kenmore just off Foster for 150k in 2010 with a reasonable assessment and good reserves. Prices really haven't moved much since then.

It's a wonderful relatively affordable area of the city to live if you don't mind sharing the neighborhood with the less fortunate. Which I've come to realize some people very much do care.
i live a couple blocks north. ive been super happy here. the diversity of the neighborhood is probably my favorite part about it. i know a lot of people say that about chicago neighborhoods, but it actually feels true here. its not a monoculture.

speaking of the neighborhood...

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/11/14...er-parking-lot

Quote:
According to a recent email from Alderman Harry Osterman (48th), a plan to bring a new 55 and over housing development to Chicago’s Edgewater neighborhood is preparing to move forward. Slated for the parking lot at 5440 N. Sheridan—previously the site of the stalled Bluewater condo proposal—the revised rental project comes from developer/operator Greystar.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ENo...2_54_49_PM.jpg

what a downgrade.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 4:19 PM

Quote:

oh fuck you

SO WHY DID YOU SELL THE ENTIRE CITY ON THE NOTION YOU WERE GOING TO DO EXACTLY THAT

ok now im angry. at what point does anyone ever get held accountable for this bullshit.
Yeah, that's a tough one to swallow. Reconstructing the facade in GFRC was always part of the program, but I don't trust that their reconstruction of the entire structure will have much fidelity to the original.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 5:02 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Hilarious, and yet sad at the same time....

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 5:32 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
So the old White Elephant at Lincoln and Halsted is toast. What about the similar looking terracotta building at Lincoln and Fullerton? Also going bye-bye?
This is the one at Lincoln/Fullerton being torn down. The one across the street at Lincoln/Halsted is supposed to be saved and redeveloped as retail space.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 6:20 PM
Ω

That demolition at Fullerton/Lincoln is so fishy. Now they're going to build a replica? Sounds like a lie. Although I personally don't view it as a big loss especially if they widen the sidewalk.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This is the one at Lincoln/Fullerton being torn down. The one across the street at Lincoln/Halsted is supposed to be saved and redeveloped as retail space.
Ah. Gotcha! I remember seeing "White Elephant" on the Lincoln Halsted building and got myself mixed up.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:

oh fuck you

My thoughts exactly....I don't want them to tear this down. I got super angry when I saw this article.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 12:59 AM

In case anybody is curious, I put together an interactive map of all community areas in Chicago and their population change 2014 versus 2010. The 2015 data by census tract will be coming out on Dec 8th so you better believe I'll be crunching the data around then to see what's changed.

https://chicagodata.carto.com/viz/29...68f/public_map

We all know about downtown and some other north side areas gaining population, but I think what is interesting here is that all community areas from south loop down to Hyde Park between the lake
and I-90 gained population except Washington Park. Washington Park lost only 70 people which isn't as bad as some other areas on the south side. Also interesting to note is that Greater Grand Crossing and Chatham were estimated to have gained people. It shows that Bridgeport lost 38 people - my guess is that the data that comes out in 3 weeks will have it in the positive. My guess is also that areas like Englewood will see continued losses and places like Logan Square will see larger gains. I'm hoping a few of the light red spots here will turn into at least light blue in a few weeks.

Now, with that being said, there is a caveat. I had contacted the US Census many months ago because one census tract in the Loop was only estimated to have grown by 5 people even though there were new apartment complexes built there. If you compared against the 2010 ACS, it said the tract grew very well, but if you compared against the 2010 census, it was only 5 people. What they had told me is that you actually should NOT be comparing the decennial census to the American Community Survey. You should only compare ACS to ACS. They said they do not recalibrate their results to what the census says. I did anyway since it's the only data and I didn't want to use 2010 ACS, but they actually said you should not be doing it. So all of the publicans that are saying X city gained/lost Y people since 2010 - the Census actually does not agree with them even comparing, but they're pretty quiet about it.

Anyway, interesting nonetheless and I can't wait for the data to come out 3 weeks from now.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 2:50 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
It shows that Bridgeport lost 38 people - my guess is that the data that comes out in 3 weeks will have it in the positive. My guess is also that areas like Englewood will see continued losses and places like Logan Square will see larger gains. I'm hoping a few of the light red spots here will turn into at least light blue in a few weeks.
Bridgeport probably will have gained. It's losing and gaining similar populations, just racially different.

Logan Square, though, I would bet is losing still. It's still not far enough into gentrification to be gaining. The people moving in have household sizes a fraction of those it's losing and while it's having a bit of a building boom, it's not enough to offset the 2->1 conversions and smaller household sizes.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Bridgeport probably will have gained. It's losing and gaining similar populations, just racially different.

Logan Square, though, I would bet is losing still. It's still not far enough into gentrification to be gaining. The people moving in have household sizes a fraction of those it's losing and while it's having a bit of a building boom, it's not enough to offset the 2->1 conversions and smaller household sizes.
Yeah Bridgeport is shifting. i will be surprised if the 2015 data shows it lost more people, but you never know. Logan Square from 2010 to 2014 gained, but again - you never know I can't wait for December 8th, haha.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 5:27 AM
You had me at herro...

I can't possibly imagine Austin or East Garfield Park are gaining. The severe crime issues in those areas have a lot of people fleeing who are capable of leaving. Those areas lost tens of thousands from 2000 to 2010, unfortunately I don't see any reason why that would have changed.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
I can't possibly imagine Austin or East Garfield Park are gaining. The severe crime issues in those areas have a lot of people fleeing who are capable of leaving. Those areas lost tens of thousands from 2000 to 2010, unfortunately I don't see any reason why that would have changed.
Me neither, but you never know. The data says otherwise for now and remember there are some OK areas like Austin like Galewood that you never hear about. Remember too that many people thought some of these areas were under reported due to some census takers being afraid to even take the census in some of the areas. Also remember that the ACS is a sample, so the places that were estimated at say -50 people could very easily be +50 due to margin of error.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 2:28 PM

I've heard mixed things about the tourism + crime thing. I think the experienced travelers probably realize it's certain areas. Others probably don't. I have some co-workers in NYC who said they want to go to Chicago but are afraid because of the crime they hear about on the news - some others said they know it's BS even though they've never even been to Chicago. Another co-worker of mine traveling from Chicago to NYC said he had a cab driver in NYC say the same thing "I want to visit, but I've heard it's really bad." I think the guy convinced the cab driver it's not what it seems for a tourist at least.

I've met Europeans traveling too who have come anyway and they all are shocked at how nice they find the city. I find Europeans a little more understanding and willing to give something a shot and know that there's bad and good areas of a city. I find the inexperienced travelers to be the ones who would most likely think that things were bad everywhere.

For anyone who wants to know too - I ran the numbers a few weeks ago and was able to tie every homicide to a census tract. The numbers are even more ridiculous after you do this. 62% of the city as of 10/25 had lived in census tracts without a homicide (1.7 million people). 75% of the homicides happened where 19% of the population by census tract lived. I haven't run the updated numbers though - I'm guessing there will be some tracts that didn't record a homicide on 10/25 that have now.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 3:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I can't wait for December 8th, haha.
I can't wait for December 10th - when you'll have all the data inputted into your maps

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development