HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 12:28 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Legacy @ Southpark - 8800 S. 1st St

Hadn't seen this posted, and wasn't sure what existing thread to put it in, so it gets its own for now. Kevin, feel free to move this into whatever thread is correct.

It's an apartment complex that has been going up the past few months. It's probably far enough south to be outside most of this forum's radar. It will have 250 1-bedrooms, 166 2-bedrooms, and 54 3-bedrooms according to this site: http://www.realtexdevelopment.com/po...-at-southpark/

Here are a couple of pics. It's a lot further ahead than that aerial. Haven't seen any updated aerials.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 2:02 AM

I see why it didn't have its own thread...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
I see why it didn't have its own thread...
LOL. Unfortunately projects like this are big news in a lot of other cities - even in ones a lot bigger than Austin.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 3:13 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I didn't claim it was beautiful, but people on here are always talking about Austin's need for more housing.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 3:41 AM

I only mean that it's a large, suburban cookie-cutter development. It has no height attributes or architectural merit. Im fine with it being built, but it's hardly Skyscraperpage worthy.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 3:43 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I understand your opinion, but I see stuff like this posted. We discussed the Tree apartments on Ben White, Post on Lamar, etc. None of those have much height or are much to look at.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 4:16 AM

Might be better to put this in the Austin Metro Update thread? There are a few like this going up in the Parmer/Tech Ridge area as well. Also a few more generic 3 story office buildings surrounded by giant surface lots.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 4:17 AM

We have a metro thread that is mostly for suburban city projects and other threads that are almost exclusively high rises. So I think a thread for mid-rise, or any projects really, outside of the core would be a good idea. This would include Burnet, S. Lamar, N. Lamar, the Domain, etc. Jon posts a lot of good stuff that would be appropriate for a thread like that.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 11:40 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I understand your opinion, but I see stuff like this posted. We discussed the Tree apartments on Ben White, Post on Lamar, etc. None of those have much height or are much to look at.
Those are all dense VMU developments that actually matter. This is suburban standard apartment complexes.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 12:11 AM
Meh

Well, it is pretty far out, and maybe a few years from now it can be redeveloped with something more dense. I'm sure no one in my neighborhood back in the day would have guessed how built up it's become here in the last 30 years.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well, it is pretty far out, and maybe a few years from now it can be redeveloped with something more dense. I'm sure no one in my neighborhood back in the day would have guessed how built up it's become here in the last 30 years.
Any apartment building going in the ground today will stay that way for 50-70 years. No one is tearing down a new building for redevelopment.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 12:17 AM

It's a suburban project, should be in Austin Metro Update.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 5:40 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
It's a suburban project, should be in Austin Metro Update.
Actually the project is inside the city limits of Austin so technically it falls in city update not metro.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 1:39 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Actually the project is inside the city limits of Austin so technically it falls in city update not metro.
I disagree. It's not downtown or one of the central urban corridors.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:05 AM

sky..... scraper.....page........

not : hideous outdated suburban filler ..... page.

Sorry... couldn't resist. ;-)

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 5:45 AM
Everywhere all at once

I would've been down to transform that into a SouthPark Meadows area thread, but that's just me.

Am I the only one who feels like SouthPark Meadows could be another Domain if some of those parking lots were filled in with mixed-use developments and future projects steered in a more urban direction? Again, maybe that's just me. Maybe they could even add some...wait for it...meadows?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I would've been down to transform that into a SouthPark Meadows area thread, but that's just me.

Am I the only one who feels like SouthPark Meadows could be another Domain if some of those parking lots were filled in with mixed-use developments and future projects steered in a more urban direction? Again, maybe that's just me. Maybe they could even add some...wait for it...meadows?
One Domain is quite enough. Besides there is already a real traffic nightmare over in that corner of the city. Let sleeping dogs lie. SouthPark Meadows is definitely a dog. You are new to town. There used to be a meadow there. It was a concert venue. The meadow is gone now replaced by parking lots and crappy stores.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
One Domain is quite enough. Besides there is already a real traffic nightmare over in that corner of the city. Let sleeping dogs lie. SouthPark Meadows is definitely a dog. You are new to town. There used to be a meadow there. It was a concert venue. The meadow is gone now replaced by parking lots and crappy stores.
I understand what you are saying, but I also completely understand NYC2ATX's point.. and actually I agree with both. I'm not a fan of the Domain in particular, but Southpark Meadows is such a hideous suburban mess that it's existence actually kills any hope of making that part of the city a more vibrant and liveable place. It would be better as a copy of the Domain, even if it was all chain stores. Something like the Domain, IMO, has a longer shelf life and won't hurt future transformation of the area. A new urbanist/VMU project like the Domain, even if it is generic, has maybe 50 years usable life span. The Southpark Meadows developments have 20, maybe 30 years tops. After 15 years, it will be strip mall junk, hanging on as blight for another 5-15 years until someone tears it down and redevelops it. Sad, and totally unacceptable for something technically within the city limits and relatively near the core.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 5:30 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I use Southpark Meadows all the time. Never been to the Domain. The traffic in the SPM area will only get worse when that HEB gets built across the street.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 7:57 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I disagree. It's not downtown or one of the central urban corridors.
True it's not and it's not really anything I care much about but I consider metro anything outside the city limits. If this was a mile or two south in Buda then it would definitely fall in metro. There's a lot of Austin that falls outside of DT or central urban corridors but is no less part of the city. Either way it's been done.

It's yet another sprawling apartment complex.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin