HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 6:53 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
It was predictable. Now, AT&T has moved to protect some turf in the wake of Google Fiber’s pursuit of potential expansion to San Antonio.

AT&T has reached a master lease agreement with the City of San Antonio that would allow the company to establish a series of network huts on municipal property that could help facilitate deployment of a fiber network that would provide communications and technology services to Alamo City residents and businesses.

City Council unanimously approved the deal on Thursday.

“I applaud AT&T for responding to the call for greater competition in the San Antonio market,” says Mayor Julian Castro. “The big winners will be local consumers who will have greater access to super fast Internet speeds that can spur innovation and drive entrepreneurialism.”

If all of this sounds familiar, it should. In March, I reported that City Council approved a 20-year master-lease contract with Google Fiber Texas LLC that allows that company to rent space for network huts that would support expansion of its ultra-high-speed fiber-optic network to the Alamo City.

San Antonio is one of nine metro areas that could enter the Google Fiberhood.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:
The University of Texas at San Antonio took a big step forward into the world of advanced energy research Wednesday morning as it joined with tech giant Microsoft to announce the establishment of a “three-year agreement to research and develop sustainable technologies to make data centers more energy efficient and economically viable.”

Microsoft is lending more than its name and support to the project. A a company executive announced a $1 million gift to UTSA’s Texas Sustainable Energy Research Institute, established in 2010 to accelerate and expand energy, water and sustainability research projects at the university.

Microsoft has undertaken a $250 million expansion of its existing data center in San Antonio, built in 2008, a project that will expand the 427,000 square foot facility by adding a companion 256,000 square foot data center next door. Energy supply and costs are key factors of data center management, and UTSA’s new mission will be to find ways to gain greater efficiency while not sacrificing reliability, especially in times of peak load demand when the state grid comes under the greatest pressure.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Oracle, the computer technology company headed by tech heavyweight Larry Ellison is setting up an operations center in San Antonio and will add 200 new tech jobs to the city's growing high tech work force, 1200 WOAI news reports.

The Redwood City, California based firm says it plans to use the operations center to provide technical support to clients in North America and Latin America, as well as provide financial services.
I'm hearing average salary will be in the $75k a year range.

Old Posted May 10, 2014, 10:40 PM
Meh

I hope Austin is paying attention to this. We have a chance to not copy the riverwalk in Austin, but to create a few similar elements of it with Waller Creek.

http://www.kens5.com/home/San-Antoni...258696281.html
Quote:
Report: Riverwalk worth $3.1 billion to the city of San Antonio

by Jeremy Baker / KENS 5
Bio | Email
Posted on May 9, 2014 at 6:34 PM
Updated yesterday at 7:47 PM

SAN ANTONIO -- According to a report recently released by the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center and the Visitors Bureau, the Riverwalk brings in a total of $3.1 billion to the San Antonio economy.

"The growth that we've seen in new housing, apartments, restaurants, all types of amenities for locals along that stretch of the Museum Reach, as well as visitors," said Steven Schauer of the San Antonio River Authority.

Out of the 11 million people who descend on the Riverwalk annually, about one-fifth are from Bexar County, according to the river authority.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 11, 2014, 5:39 AM

Expanding the Riverwalk two miles to the north (River North) and turning it into a linear park to the south for 8 miles (Mission Reach) is the best public investments the city could have ever made. You open up urban development I'm a river North.and the Pearl. You open up the Mission Reach to hikers, bikers, runners, kayakers, canoeing, etc.

Now they're investing $175 million to basically transform/"Riverwalk" San Pedro Creek in the west end of downtown.

That'll be a big time public investment as well.

Old Posted May 11, 2014, 6:57 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Expanding the Riverwalk two miles to the north (River North) and turning it into a linear park to the south for 8 miles (Mission Reach) is the best public investments the city could have ever made. You open up urban development I'm a river North.and the Pearl. You open up the Mission Reach to hikers, bikers, runners, kayakers, canoeing, etc.

Now they're investing $175 million to basically transform/"Riverwalk" San Pedro Creek in the west end of downtown.

That'll be a big time public investment as well.
Agreed. Such an incredible amenity for the city.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 4:28 AM

From News 4 WOAI:

SAN ANTONIO -- Privacy company Vysk Communications says that it will bring 350 new jobs to San Antonio to develop it's smartphone security devices.

http://news4sanantonio.com/news/feat...io-11734.shtml

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
From News 4 WOAI:

SAN ANTONIO -- Privacy company Vysk Communications says that it will bring 350 new jobs to San Antonio to develop it's smartphone security devices.

http://news4sanantonio.com/news/feat...io-11734.shtml
Per this article from the Rivard Report website, the company will add 50-75 high paying jobs (65k a year) and then will add 350 manufacturing jobs by 2016.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 2:00 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Not sure what thread this goes in, but SA had the 4th highest number of new residents in the 12 month period ending July 2013:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...th-5497838.php

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 5:22 PM

Hey guys... I just got back from 4 days in San Antonio interviewing for a couple of jobs. I absolutely loved it down there. It is beautiful and the riverwalk lives up to expectations. My family and I will be moving down there in a month or so from the SLC area. I look forward to participating more in these threads as well.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Hey guys... I just got back from 4 days in San Antonio interviewing for a couple of jobs. I absolutely loved it down there. It is beautiful and the riverwalk lives up to expectations. My family and I will be moving down there in a month or so from the SLC area. I look forward to participating more in these threads as well.
Welcome to San Antonio! Glad to have you around here too.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 5:59 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Demolish a multi-story building to make way for In-N-Out Burger?
New slogan grows ever more ironic. #CityOnTheRise

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...#photo-6465762

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 7:51 PM
Paradise

Wasn't there going to be a hotel with it? I thought that was mentioned a while back but there wasn't anymore on it. Strange, but I guess it's part of a bigger development.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 2:59 AM

Joint Base San Antonio (and possibly the NSA?) have been awarded between 1,100 and 1,400 new Cybersecurity positions.

We may not have Google, but we're our own specialized tech hub.

Quote:
San Antonio gaining 1,100 cybersecurity jobs
James Aldridge

Just hours after one Texas Democrat announced that more than 100 cybersecurity will be coming to San Antonio, another high-ranking member of the House Armed Services Committee upped the ante on the job number by announcing that 1,100 Airmen will be coming to the Alamo City.

Read more: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...rity-jobs.html

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 4:29 AM

Big time news! High paying jobs no doubt.

If we land Tesla...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 11:36 PM

Oakland A's considering move to SA

http://blog.sfgate.com/matierandross...al/#24875101=0

Oakland City Councilman Larry Reid says he doesn’t believe the A’s are bluffing in their threat to leave the city if they don’t get a 10-year lease extension at the Coliseum, and he pointed to a pair of possible destinations — Montreal and San Antonio, Texas.

Reid said that was the word he got from the Coliseum Authority negotiators who have been working for the past 14 months to try to reach an A’s lease extension.

“They have options,’’ Reid said.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post

Oakland City Councilman Larry Reid says he doesn’t believe the A’s are bluffing in their threat to leave the city if they don’t get a 10-year lease extension at the Coliseum, and he pointed to a pair of possible destinations — Montreal and San Antonio, Texas.

Reid said that was the word he got from the Coliseum Authority negotiators who have been working for the past 14 months to try to reach an A’s lease extension.

That would be awesome, but it is surely a bluff.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post

As much as I'd love having a MLB team playing downtown, it's just not going to happen. We don't even have a triple A team in San Antonio yet. Market is just too small for MLB. Granted MLB doesn't really have too many options left for places that could support a team. Montreal had the Expos and didn't support em, can't see them getting another team. Only Charlotte comes to mind as a viable option for a team looking to relocate.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan101 View Post
As much as I'd love having a MLB team playing downtown, it's just not going to happen. We don't even have a triple A team in San Antonio yet. Market is just too small for MLB. Granted MLB doesn't really have too many options left for places that could support a team. Montreal had the Expos and didn't support em, can't see them getting another team. Only Charlotte comes to mind as a viable option for a team looking to relocate.
Too small? You can't possibly say that when Milwaukee has both an NBA and MLB team.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Too small? You can't possibly say that when Milwaukee has both an NBA and MLB team.
Not to mention the market of Wisconsin's NFL team!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio