HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing Lin View Post
Quick Photoshop job by me:
Looks gorgeous. I was never keen on the BIG Dane's Jenga tower, but I know many people liked it for the symbolism of the staircase or steps. This idea combines that aspect of the more complex BIG design with the iconic crown and more uniform Foster design.

I was previously 100% on the Fosters diamond train, but now I'm being tempted by this single 'what if' trackside billboard that will probably never come to fruition. That's a damn good idea. I want it done.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camstonisland View Post
Looks gorgeous. I was never keen on the BIG Dane's Jenga tower, but I know many people liked it for the symbolism of the staircase or steps. This idea combines that aspect of the more complex BIG design with the iconic crown and more uniform Foster design.

I was previously 100% on the Fosters diamond train, but now I'm being tempted by this single 'what if' trackside billboard that will probably never come to fruition. That's a damn good idea. I want it done.
Yes, there are some good ideas in this photoshop. Best elements of Foster and BIG.

Very doubtful we will see Foster original. Best hope is that Foster will come up with something new that keeps the best elements of his original concept. After looking at this website for more than 10 years, I would say that the Foster diamonds were definitely the most loved element of the original proposals. But the client assumptions he was using are simply not valid anymore.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 8:41 PM
New Yorker for life

I would expect Foster to insert some sky gardens somewhere, which is a little difficult to do with his original design. He’s working within height constraints and unless you eliminate the diamond top, not too much leeway.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 6:03 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I would expect Foster to insert some sky gardens somewhere, which is a little difficult to do with his original design. He’s working within height constraints and unless you eliminate the diamond top, not too much leeway.
It's not hard. Turn the diamonds into terraced gardens. maybe have other diamond facets further down. Make it a more tiered design. I'm sure they'll just turn it into a box though.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 8:46 PM

It would be cool if they could somehow preserve some of the street art that's currently around the base of the building today into the final design.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 2:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
It's not hard. Turn the diamonds into terraced gardens. maybe have other diamond facets further down. Make it a more tiered design. I'm sure they'll just turn it into a box though.
The point of the terraces is to be close to where the people work. I'm not sure the elevator capacity at the tower would best be served trying to get everyone to what would basically be the roof.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 9:31 AM
Back from the dead

I'm so confused. Is there actually something under construction at this site?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 11:42 AM

I'd expect an announce before the 20th anniversary.

Shame they didn't build this same time or closer time to 1WTC so we'd be looking at a newer update of 3WTC or 4WTC instead.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I'm so confused. Is there actually something under construction at this site?
Quick summary
  • a performing arts center is under construction next to 1 World Trade Center
  • The designer of 2 WTC is reverting back to Norman Foster, who gave us the diamond design
  • Nothing at the 2WTC is approved or under construction yet

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 11:27 PM

Why can't they just build a clone of 1WTC without the antenna and be done with it? Quit fking around with all this and build what everyone wants to see.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Why can't they just build a clone of 1WTC without the antenna and be done with it? Quit fking around with all this and build what everyone wants to see.
I couldn't agree more.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 11:55 PM

That looks werid, it doesn’t have to be so standout ish. 2wtc would look perfect with a 1250ft tower that resembles One Chicago and that’s it

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 12:54 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

no trees please

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 10:39 AM
Sydney

A One Chicago or 270 Park-esque tower would make a complete mess of the WTC masterplan- the tower has to address the cornerstone nature of its position in the complex. Even Bjarke Ingels's design addressed this. Foster masterfully did it once, let's hope he pulls it off again.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 1:57 PM

1 & 2 aren't diagonally across from each other so making 2 a twin of 1 would look weird.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
1 & 2 aren't diagonally across from each other so making 2 a twin of 1 would look weird.
Awkward as it may be, it beats what's been proposed.

The old towers being destroyed shouldn't be mistook for an opportunity for a new design. Besides, isn't it our reponsibility as Americans to restore as best we can what was once therre?? It's just a no brainer to me.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker View Post
Awkward as it may be, it beats what's been proposed.

The old towers being destroyed shouldn't be mistook for an opportunity for a new design. Besides, isn't it our reponsibility as Americans to restore as best we can what was once therre?? It's just a no brainer to me.

Respectfully, it's not happening! And the answer to your question is no! It's not our responsibility as Americans to restore as best we can what was once there! It's the developer's responsibility to redevelop the site to best suit their purposes while being mindful of the significance of the site and to public opinion. It's not the 1970's and rebuilding to replicate what was there makes no sense in 2020 regardless of how we feel about what we lost! I'm thankful that the 21st Century Fox deal fell through and the Ingels' design has been scuttled - I never warmed up to it, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Foster tweaks his old design!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 12:55 AM

The floorplan of 2WTC wouldnt support a 1WTC twin, and thankfully so.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1985 View Post
The floorplan of 2WTC wouldnt support a 1WTC twin, and thankfully so.
This I know. ...but nothing is impossible. The developers can build whatever they want. Destroy the foundation or keep it. Hopefully they'll make the right decision whatever they choose.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 7:50 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction