HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Spiral in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 1:31 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Well, it turns out that the highest point the trees can survive is between 350 feet and 430 feet which is only 1/3 and three quarters the height of the Spiral skyscraper and that is really bad... so due to climate change, what are we going to do about it? .

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 2:51 PM

lol "I'm sure the architects have taken everything into account" the same way Viñoly did for the residents of 432 Park or Calatrava did with his slip and slide bridges across the world or Gehry did with his sunlight death ray reflector curves or the marble panels cladding the Aon Center or the windows in Boston's Hancock Center or... or... or....

I'd say the jury is still out on whether or not the trees will work out... anyone remember the forest that was supposed to crown Piano's NYT tower?

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 3:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
lol "I'm sure the architects have taken everything into account" the same way Viñoly did for the residents of 432 Park or Calatrava did with his slip and slide bridges across the world or Gehry did with his sunlight death ray reflector curves or the marble panels cladding the Aon Center or the windows in Boston's Hancock Center or... or... or....

I'd say the jury is still out on whether or not the trees will work out... anyone remember the forest that was supposed to crown Piano's NYT tower?
Yeah, you know how many skyscrapers there are in the world? But I'll tell you what, the trees (or whatever they're putting up there) will be installed next year. The year after that, you get to come back and gloat that you were right when the trees die. Good? Good. Other than that, just sit back and watch.

FEBRUARY 5, 2021

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Will it really though? There are higher elevations in New York with trees. The trees here won't be installed until next year, but if they're putting them there, I'm sure they've taken everything into account.
Trees simply do not do well plopped on buildings at those heights.

If the renderings are what they will ultmately do, it looks like they're thinking trees will grow at 700-900 feet on the sides of the building. Where are there trees in NYC at higher elevations?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post

If the renderings are what they will ultmately do, it looks like they're thinking trees will grow at 700-900 feet on the sides of the building. Where are there trees in NYC at higher elevations?
Can you elaborate or give me a link to show that this is so? For all trees? Also these are barely trees-the ones at the top definitely could be just tall shrubs-they only look to max out at 15 to 20 feet. Could hardy shrubs suffice? Is there information out there that shows at which elevations smaller plants besides trees would not survive? The higher elevations could be taller shrubs and vines maybe? There are shrubs which are root hardly to way below 40 below zero F.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
Can you elaborate or give me a link to show that this is so? For all trees? Also these are barely trees-the ones at the top definitely could be just tall shrubs-they only look to max out at 15 to 20 feet. Could hardy shrubs suffice? Is there information out there that shows at which elevations smaller plants besides trees would not survive? The higher elevations could be taller shrubs and vines maybe? There are shrubs which are root hardly to way below 40 below zero F.
There's plenty of info readily available online. Certain strong shrubs could likely survive at major heights on buildings with a ridiculous amount of maintenance per shrub. But it really doesn't make much sense, and is certainly not "sustainably green".

It's not so much elevation itself being the factor... it is the extreme conditions trees would be subjected to on a building at high elevation. A tree rooted in minimal soil at even 300 feet on the side of building, where it will be constantly pummeled by winds, intense direct sunlight, extremes of hot and cold temps, and periods of intense precip or dryness, is simply not going to survive very long... or will definitely not be green and thriving, but rather wind burnt, brown, and dry.

At 700-1000 ft... in order to see this much greenery from a ground vantage point, they'd have to be trees:

Last edited by pj3000; Feb 8, 2021 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 2:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

I said New York. Now, unless you can tell me in detail exactly what they are doing, and exactly why it will fail (so I can in turn send them an email), I don't care much for your opinion on what they can't do. And again, when they DO fail, you get to go on about it. Not a second before that though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLB-h_xF5Dw/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLAR441j_wi/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK973Fcp-7T/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 10, 2021 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I said New York. Now, unless you can tell me in detail exactly what they are doing, and exactly why it will fail (so I can in turn send them an email), I don't care much for your opinion on what they can't do. And again, when they DO fail, you get to go on about it. Not a second before that though.

While not the greatest fan of this building(it is ok though-but it is no 9 Dekalb), I think they will be able to make things work. With the right plant/shrub/small tree selection, the right irrigation and other plant support systems, soil mixes, anti-desiccants, etc. I think they will have success.

Plus take a look at Marina Sands in Singapore-there are lush gardens(including palm trees)on top at the 625 foot level. I think they can make it work in NYC at similar heights with lots of maintenance and if the right plants are chosen-and I think they can afford extensive and costly maintenance since this area and building are hardly being built on the cheap. Wealthy people will fork over the money for it.

I think some people may be surprised-we will just have to wait and see.

*I think I am liking this building more because the spiraling cuts are not really that massive it appears.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 9:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
While not the greatest fan of this building(it is ok though-but it is no 9 Dekalb), I think they will be able to make things work. With the right plant/shrub/small tree selection, the right irrigation and other plant support systems, soil mixes, anti-desiccants, etc. I think they will have success.

Plus take a look at Marina Sands in Singapore-there are lush gardens(including palm trees)on top at the 625 foot level. I think they can make it work in NYC at similar heights with lots of maintenance and if the right plants are chosen-and I think they can afford extensive and costly maintenance since this area and building are hardly being built on the cheap. Wealthy people will fork over the money for it.

I think some people may be surprised-we will just have to wait and see.

*I think I am liking this building more because the spiraling cuts are not really that massive it appears.

We will wait and see.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLMeGDcsKWk/

Quote:
The rapid pace of construction at 66 Hudson Boulevard, aka The Spiral, finally reached the 65-story, 1,031-foot-tall pinnacle over Hudson Yards this past Tuesday.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 3:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 9:17 PM

What's great about these towers that few realize is that they're gonna be amazing backdrops in future movies (especially at night)! While CGI cities will still be a thing, at least modern-day movies and shows will have this sci-fi feeling in them!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 2:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Now that these towers have topped out, a good indication of the distance from the deck...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLUdAXilwIO/

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 3:26 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:00 AM

Hudson yards reminds me of dubai a little because its all brand new skyscrapers in very close proximity to each other and also right next to the water.

https://www.bayut.com/mybayut/talles...e-skyscrapers/

Last edited by Dylan Dude; Feb 18, 2021 at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:47 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:

I'm a little confused. Probably because I live in the Mountain West. Salt Lake City to be exact. The valley I live in is over 4,000 feet above sea level. We have buildings here that have trees on their rooftops. Fairly big trees. Like these:

Wouldn't your logic suggest that those trees shouldn't be "doing well"?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:28 PM

Wasn't a fan of the trees at first, but now I like them. They give the tower some unique character.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 4:08 AM
New Yorker for life

It wasn't that long ago that the Coach tower was the only skyscraper over in the Hudson Yards. Look at it now.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...?adppopup=true

https://www.dezeen.com/2021/02/16/sp...-big-tops-out/

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 5:36 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

per that render —

i dont see ‘trees’ singular up there.

i see ‘plants’ plural.

also, surely, and yes i will call you shirley, the developers have put 15min of research into this highly visible greenery amenity for this billion dollar investment?

just sayin.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 6:26 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive