HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 5:23 PM

Another big soulless parking garage at the bottom, ugh. But other than that, wowza! Can we yank the spire from the Fairmont and put it on top of this one?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 7:21 PM

Love the Height but I have a complaint. So I assume its office residential with maybe some retail at the bottom. at this height shouldn't we expect more from a building. how about an observation deck complete with restaurants for the public. A mall maybe? you only need a 1/3 of the podium to create a little department store or indoor mall galleria etc. venues for public events would be nice. this is just a quick opinion but I'm tired of buildings that take away whole blocks from the city and offer nothing to its citizens. just a general thought.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 8:07 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starboy92 View Post
...A mall maybe? you only need a 1/3 of the podium to create a little department store or indoor mall galleria etc. venues for public events would be nice. this is just a quick opinion but I'm tired of buildings that take away whole blocks from the city and offer nothing to its citizens. just a general thought.
Interesting idea. However, where are your customers going to park? Obviously, it is far more costly to have an underground garage. And, I too, hate all of these ugly podium car parks.

Additionally, you'll need more than one square block for a "mall." If I'm not mistaken, this entire site encompasses 1.63 ac (just under 71,000 SF). The Whole Foods down the street is about 10,000 SF bigger than this whole site.

Yes, you could build "up;" use multiple floors of the podium to increase the total rentable SF. But, again, where are these customers, employees and residents going to park? Underground or in the same size podium car park above the "mall?"

Still, an intriguing idea.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 8:10 PM

I talked to one of my buddies in commercial real estate who went to a Lincoln presentation on this building today. According to the presentation, it's going to be finished by December 2020. Also, it's going to have 500,000 sq ft of office space, and 300,000 sq ft of residential space.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 8:17 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
I talked to one of my buddies in commercial real estate who went to a Lincoln presentation on this building today. According to the presentation, it's going to be finished by December 2020. Also, it's going to have 500,000 sq ft of office space, and 300,000 sq ft of residential space.
Awesome! Did they give you a sense of a start time? Are these going to be condos or rental flats (apartments)?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 8:39 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by starboy92 View Post
Love the Height but I have a complaint. So I assume its office residential with maybe some retail at the bottom. at this height shouldn't we expect more from a building. how about an observation deck complete with restaurants for the public. A mall maybe? you only need a 1/3 of the podium to create a little department store or indoor mall galleria etc. venues for public events would be nice. this is just a quick opinion but I'm tired of buildings that take away whole blocks from the city and offer nothing to its citizens. just a general thought.
Neat idea. I hate malls, though. But, I guess if downtown was going to have one, one place I would think would be nicer to have one would be closer to Republic Square Park. That would make either the Travis County block or the post office block good options for one topped with a tower, of course. As ILUVSAT suggested, a mall might need a bigger site, which I'm not sure about, but it would be crazy if a developer got bullish and developed both the Travis County and post office block with a mall in both buildings facing each other across the park, again, topped with towers, of course.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 8:52 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Awesome! Did they give you a sense of a start time? Are these going to be condos or rental flats (apartments)?
Hmm... If they want it completed by Dec 2020 then possibly a groundbreaking mid to late 2018? That means we have at least a year before we see any dirt flying with this. Hopefully that won't be too long a wait. The sooner they start on it, the better the chances that it will become reality.

I suspect that this may be the building Genral's acquaintance was talking about.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 9:12 PM

I think the end of 2020 is a typical overly optimistic first date that developers throw out when they announce a project. A site plan hasn't been filed, and they usually take a year or two to get approved for big projects. Even with no excavation for underground parking, I think two years to build this would be pushing it. Also, financing would need to be secured fairly soon.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 9:28 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
A site plan hasn't been filed, and they usually take a year or two to get approved for big projects.
I wouldn't arbitrarily throw 1-2 years out there. I don't believe that is necessarily true. It depends on the overall complexity of the project - how detailed are the original plans (i.e., if the developer has all of his/her ducks-in-a-row when submitting the original plan to the city)? Additionally, it depends on it's location - is it being proposed in an area where it could be contentious?

Typically, the site plan process can take as little as 9 months on a tower project. Maybe 12 months depending on how many questions the city has and how quickly the developer answers said questions. I would agree...more complex and contentious project may take much longer to get approved (if approved at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Even with no excavation for underground parking, I think two years to build this would be pushing it. Also, financing would need to be secured fairly soon.
I agree. From start to delivery, this thing (as currently proposed) may take 30 or so months to build.

A construction facility does not necessarily need to be secured "soon." However, I'm pretty sure they are already working on that aspect of the project, should this proposal be a "real one."

Is Sutton still involved with this?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 10:52 PM

doesn't necessarily have to be a mall I'm just saying buildings like this would be better if they were more interactive with outsiders rather then just having amenities for the dwellers inside. The J.W Marriott is pretty good about that I feel a better example would be the Time Warner Center In New York City. either way this building is still pretty rad. It will be exciting to see when it rises.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 10:56 PM

In case anyone has noticed, there is a historic home on the NE corner of the block built circa mid-1800s. Approval to demo the building won't happen and approval to move it would be unlikely. From Streetview:

But it you look at the CVC determination posted earlier in this thread, the home is not included in the CVC determination. So it appears that this little house will remain. I think it's really cool that a nearly 200 year old home will share the block with this tower.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 12:04 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

That house/office was brought up by some guys on the shaggy thread. They said the tenant owns part of the block, and the building is from 1854.

It'll just end up like the JW where those couple of older buildings were left on the corner, and the pedestal is build around them.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
wwwwooooowwwwwww! This design can make sweet sweet love to me.
Eeeeeeewwwwwwww....

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post

I suspect that this may be the building Genral's acquaintance was talking about.
I see J.A. pretty frequently, I ask for updates, he stands by what he told me, for what its worth. Aside from that, I think our next boom will be as Kevin stated earlier, taller. By the time the city population reaches 1 million, we are going to have one amazing skyline.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 1:01 AM
JACKinBeantown

Great news on the height! I'm not too thrilled with the design. It looks like a lot of the other nondescript buildings that have popped up in the western part of downtown in the last few years. Oh well, I've come to learn that I have to take what I can get.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 1:14 AM

Reminds me a lot of the Comcast Technology Center in Philly, only with a curved crown instead of a 300' lantern.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Reminds me a lot of the Comcast Technology Center in Philly, only with a curved crown instead of a 300' lantern.
If we were getting something like the Comcast tower, I'd be in line with ahealy for sloppy seconds.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 1:47 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Just FYI on the malls discussion:

Portland has a mall downtown that takes up multiple city blocks, is multi-story, and is connected via skybridges over the streets that bifurcate those blocks. It's lovely. However, there is only minimal parking given their light rail system providing a steady stream of visitors and a downtown with a much larger residential population.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:11 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Sadly with the recent heartbreaks we've had in the past month, I think you guys know what I'm talking about, I can't take this seriously until there is an official announcement.

I hope it's real but I feel like there's a good chance it may not be.

Remember with the last faux project, we thought we were finally getting a 900 + footer...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 3:13 AM

With the open crown and the cross-bracing zig zag running up the top, it has a very mechanical look to it that I think will compliment the Independent's screened in crown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin