HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 6:50 AM
Meh

Cool AUSTIN | Avenir (Formerly Dorsey) | 170 Feet | 15 Floors | Complete

http://www.austin-ind.com/news/comme...-austin-texas/
Quote:
February 9, 2015
Austin to perform preconstruction on mixed-use project in Austin, Texas

Austin Commercial has been chosen to perform the yearlong preconstruction for the $120 million Austin City Centre, a new mixed-use development for Legend Communities in Austin, Texas. This gives Austin the opportunity to build the project when it begins next year.

Austin City Centre will consist of two 16-story apartment towers, retail space and underground parking. Located at the northeast corner of IH-35 and 12th Street, the project is close to the city’s new UT Medical School campus.

“Our team worked hard to earn this preconstruction project,” said Jack Archer, regional project manager. “I especially want to thank Kurt Cleveland (preconstruction manager) and Jeff Hagar (area project manager) for their expertise and tireless efforts that led to our being awarded the preconstruction, which now puts us in line to build the mixeduse complex.”

The project architect is Rhode Partners.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Feb 11, 2022 at 7:53 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 8:28 AM
Meh

So I'm still not sure if this is the same project as the one being called Huston Heights. The Austin City Center one is said to be located at the northeast corner of East 12th & I-35, but the Huston Heights one is listed on the Emerging Projects list as being at the southeast corner.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAu...2015-05-31.pdf

This is the Huston Heights development.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
So I'm still not sure if this is the same project as the one being called Huston Heights. The Austin City Center one is said to be located at the northeast corner of East 12th & I-35, but the Huston Heights one is listed on the Emerging Projects list as being at the southeast corner.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAu...2015-05-31.pdf

This is the Huston Heights development.

It is odd that two projects so similar pop up at that intersection around the same time. But they seem to be proposed by different developers based on what little info we have available.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
It is odd that two projects so similar pop up at that intersection around the same time. But they seem to be proposed by different developers based on what little info we have available.
I don't find it all that odd. The new medical school is likely going to spur a lot more development near it.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 7:42 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

While not very tall compared to what's going up in DT these projects will be the tallest east of 35 and they will begin to create a slight canyon effect. It will be pretty cool to have highrises lining both sides of 35.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 8:06 PM

Quote:
What exactly is involved in the "year long pre-construction"? I don't recall ever seeing that term used in the press regarding the development of a project. Sounds fishy to me, like maybe this thing is not truly a done deal just yet. Their website describes "preconstruction" as involving the following:

Planning
Constructability
Budgeting
Modeling
Scheduling

The Austin Industries/Austin Commercal press release does not name a developer for the project, although it does list Rhodes as the architect. Who is the developer? Does anybody know?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Same project, look at he lower right and you can tell that building is the U of the Super 8 with the stand alone building in their parking lot. So that render is of the south east of 12th.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 7:08 PM

Looks like they are taking soil samples in the CVS parking lot today.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 7:45 PM

If the Austin City Centre rendering is the new version of Huston Heights the project has changed considerably. The two 16-story buildings would account for the "363 high rise" units that the last two emerging projects lists say are part of the project. But the "attached 297 senior units" appear to have been dropped. Also, the "70,000 sq. ft. grocery store" would have to be that gray building in front of the towers in the rendering if it is still included, but that doesn't look like a grocery store.

Another point of confusion is that the Austin City Centre rendering was from last February. The June 1st edition of the emerging projects list is where the Huston Heights name came from and still lists the 363 high rise units, 297 senior units and the grocery store.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 7:56 PM

And another thing or two...

Look at this rezoning item from an April Planning commission meeting:

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=229679

Since the Austin City Centre rendering is from February I would say Huston Heights is the new name if that was being used in April through June.

Also, the Planning Commission item as well as the December and June emerging project list all have JH West 12 St Partners as the owner with no mention of the Legends developers that the Austin City Centre article says are the developers.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
Same project, look at he lower right and you can tell that building is the U of the Super 8 with the stand alone building in their parking lot. So that render is of the south east of 12th.
I agree. Isn't there some sort of strip center there now? I'm thinking it's where that old Safeway used to be.

Here's more

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11268776

The project's name on the City's website is One Two East, but if you look at the pdf attachment, it's listed as Huston Heights.

On one page, it says number of proposed units is 392. Further down it says that under the current zoning this is what's allowed:

Highrise Apartments - 288 units
Senior Adult Housing - attached - 222 units
Supermarket - 70,000 sq ft

Under the proposed zoning change this is what they're asking for:

Highrise Apartments - 363 units
Senior Adult Housing - attached - 297 units
Supermarket - 70,000 sq ft

On tract 1 & 2 they are asking for a height increase from 150 ft to 200 ft. and an increase in FAR from 3.75:1 FAR to 5:1 FAR.

The rezoning was supposed to go before the City Council June 11 (Item 27) but the applicant has requested an indefinite postponement.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 8:15 PM

I guess we need the name of the thread changed to Huston Heights and it will all be settled.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 9:09 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Also, the Planning Commission item as well as the December and June emerging project list all have JH West 12 St Partners as the owner with no mention of the Legends developers that the Austin City Centre article says are the developers.
Haythem Dawlett ("owner/applicant") is the founder and principal of Legends Communities.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Haythem Dawlett ("owner/applicant") is the founder and principal of Legends Communities.
Well that settles it then. This is clearly one project.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Since the Austin City Centre rendering is from February I would say Huston Heights is the new name if that was being used in April through June.
I wonder if Huston Heights was used in some of the earlier paperwork and on the emerging projects site because of the area where it's located? I think that area of town was formerly referred to as the Sam Huston Heights Annex. On the permits page, it shows the project name as One Two East.

Of the three names I've seen so far (Austin City Centre, One Two East, and Huston Heights) Huston Heights is the least trendy of the three. It just doesn't sound "uppity" enough for the new trendy Austin.

BTW, I hate small, blurry, washed-out renderings, so I made it bigger, sharper and put just a little more color into it.

The building on the left with the orange-ish accents reminds me of University House and the one on the right reminds me of 7 Rio.

People complain about "cookie cutter" towers, but I don't mind them if the other towers are in other cities. But cookie cutter towers in the same city? I don't like them. I hope they're just placeholders and the actual buildings planned for this project look a little different from other projects Rhode Partners has designed.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 7:55 AM

More than likely we will see better renderings once it process through.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 12:58 AM

An updated render, from the OP's link.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 2:35 AM
World Traveler

I like it. I have a question for you folks who know much more about city building codes than me. What are the height restrictions east of I-35? As far as I can recall from the CVC map, east of I-35 isn't included in CVC restrictions and thus should be able to go up pretty high, contingent on height restrictions, of course. However, this area around 11th and 12th streets, and even down to the 5th-7th streets, is getting more and more dense with the promise of much more development over the years. Just wondering.

I like this project a lot, especially with its proximity to the medical school, state offices, etc.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 8:53 PM

A CVC determination was filed today:

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11412290

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 8:23 PM

It looks like One Two East is the name they are going with. Here's a demo permit filed today to clear the 2.65 acres for the project:

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11419374

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin