HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Im sure there are a bunch of people that are glad you left. I'll bet you are out there right now, trash-talking the city as we speak. I can't wait to see the day your beloved, glorified Calgary starts to tank. I will thoroughly enjoy watching that unfold, and watching that smug smirk off your face wiped off completely.
I know how you feel. I am often dismayed by people who feel they have the right to "weaponize" other city's social or economic ills to pump themselves up. I often have to stop myself from taking part in that myself, and I admit I am not always successful.

Comparing attractions and amenities between cities is one thing, characterizing an entire community as failed/flawed or superior to another based on their respective troubles is stupid tribalism in it's crudest form.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I know how you feel. I am often dismayed by people who feel they have the right to "weaponize" other city's social or economic ills to pump themselves up. I often have to stop myself from taking part in that myself, and I admit I am not always successful.

Comparing attractions and amenities between cities is one thing, characterizing an entire community as failed/flawed or superior to another based on their respective troubles is stupid tribalism in it's crudest form.
It especially bothers me because Winnipeg's troubles are so closely tied to a national problem, indigenous poverty. Lots of our social issues don't have local origins but instead develop far away up north, and all Canadians are responsible for the state of our reserves.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
It especially bothers me because Winnipeg's troubles are so closely tied to a national problem, indigenous poverty. Lots of our social issues don't have local origins but instead develop far away up north, and all Canadians are responsible for the state of our reserves.
Excellent points.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 6:51 PM

^^^ Nonsense, all Canadians are not responsible. It's the Federal government's responsibility under the Constitution Act. They have downloaded their responsibilities and associated costs onto the provinces and municipal governments. Maybe we should be asking ourselves in the West what reason we have for staying in an economic and political union with Ontario and Quebec, a relationship that has been disadvantageous to us. Look at the neighbouring states, Minnesota and North Dakota, night and day more prosperous than Manitoba and with better social indicators too. There is a multi-billion dollar hugely lucrative industry that is opposed to any changes however, even the mention of change will be met with the typical barrage of ists and isms for the purpose of shutting down any open and honest discussion.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; May 27, 2019 at 8:30 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
^^^ Nonsense, all Canadians are not responsible. It's the Federal government's responsibility under the Constitution Act.
The federal government, as in the government that represents all Canadians ......

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 8:21 PM

I was going to say who is this government then, aliens?? No, they are your neighbours and peers. They're us. We are them.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 8:30 PM

^^ That rests on the assumption that federal government represents all Canadians equally, and I do not agree with that assumption.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:27 PM

A couple projects on River Avenue going before Board of Adjustment this week.

350 River (at Scott)

290 River (at Lewis, next door to the Parkette)

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:29 PM

That first one looks pretty interesting...

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:32 PM

It's an SRO (exceeding 12 beds) but recommendation is to adjourn based on inaccurate information.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
It's an SRO (exceeding 12 beds) but recommendation is to adjourn based on inaccurate information.
Interesting... so who is behind this, is it a Siloam project?

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:48 PM

Don't know - the applicant was the architect (2 Architecture) on behalf of the owner, listed as a numbered Manitoba company. 30 beds as far as I can tell.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
It may be possible -- and I know this is might sound crazy, but hear me out -- that both of the following statements are true at the same time:
- Winnipeg has a recent, growing, and severe problem with crime and social dysfunction, which manifests itself quite clearly on and around Portage Avenue;
- Winnipeg has not tanked, but instead is growing, with many exciting things happening development-wise.
Not crazy, just mature and realistic. It's just not stated that often because it's easier (and let's be honest, far more personally satisfying) to depict the "other guy" as a caricature in online forums. What really bothers me is the common inference that a city's problems are the result of weakness of character/lack of intelligence and are somehow "evidence" of inferiority. Time we stopped picking holes in each others coats and looked for workable solutions to these issues. IMO, of course!!!

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 7:35 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
A couple projects on River Avenue going before Board of Adjustment this week.

350 River (at Scott)

290 River (at Lewis, next door to the Parkette)

The first proposal reminds me of a building in Los Angeles. Will post picture soon

https://www.google.ca/maps?oe=UTF-8&...8gEwAHoECAwQAQ

https://images1.loopnet.com/i2/QbfOK.../110/image.jpg

It’s near the Beverly Hills

Last edited by EspionNoir; May 28, 2019 at 7:45 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 1:50 AM

The first one looks like if 546 was asked to design a mosque.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Boom. Well said.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The first one looks like if 546 was asked to design a mosque.

But yeah, it definitely gives off a Middle Eastern vibe.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 1:55 PM

McMillan at Staffard, mixed use with a ground floor CRU, two offices with mezzanines on second/mezz and four third floor residential suites. Another Affinity design.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 3:48 AM

Looks great, that lot's been empty forever. Would love to see the corner lot beside Rexall get filled in – they don't need 2 parking lots.

Really a shame the Tims/Marble Slab was allowed to be built like that. Especially since its only a matter of time the Harveys/Swiss Chalet closes lol.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 8:28 PM

Does anybody know what’s moving into the old second cup location at Osborne and River? Is it a dispensary? Someone may have mentioned that awhile back. Anyways, there’s a lot of activity going on in there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan