HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Those are subways and AFAIK, all doors open at all stations automatically. At outdoor stations, you don't want all doors opening automatically, especially in winter. Calgary and Edmonton might be better examples as they are cities with winters and have outdoor stations.
Good Day.

Also a factor in door speed.....

TO and Mtl are in-wall pocket slider doors,
.vs.
external moving-swinging plug doors, like ours.

That is a huge speed differential in opening and closing.
Plugs are notoriously slower than pockets. Hugely.

FYI.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I actually timed the travel in the simulation. It was 9 minutes from Tunney's to Rideau and then 6 minutes from Rideau to Hurdman; didn't watch past Hurdman. What impressed me was how fast the braking was; at many spots the train didn't even start slowing down until it was pretty much in the station.

The simulation used 18 seconds dwell time for every station; that's apparently the average expected dwell time at peak but it will vary, with it approaching 30 seconds at Lyon and Tunney's (at peak), and less than 10 seconds at stations like Cyrville and Tremblay. I asked if it would be lower off peak and they said yes but didn't have numbers.
Elevator post linked 200 pages back and I read a bit forward and found this from a year ago.

18 seconds is expected average time stopped apparently. That should make for 36 seconds longer (12 stations x 3 more seconds than 15) than the media train Friday. So about 21.5 minutes total.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 6:17 PM

a

Last edited by Corvulpes; Sep 4, 2019 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The city really needs a win on this to demonstrate that the $2.1B was worth spending. If we can move people to and from downtown faster despite the transfer penalty, then we will see a real benefit. Hopefully, we will see the end of the ridership slump but they have to get the bus connections right as well. That will be equally important.
Is there ANYTHING in OC Transpo's long history of cranky managers inflicting crappy bus service on crankier bus passengers that would suggest they have the capacity to get anything about the bus connections right?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
Why did you post 9 messages in a row instead of merging them into one?

Anyhow - I'm excited to hear what the mayor has to say on Friday. Hopefully we're getting a reliable system from RTG.
Why would one merge multiple messages, responding to different posts by different people, into one?

It's great to see us so close to the finish line on Line 1, Phase 1. Maybe once it opens, it'll remove OC Transpo's political cover for its indifference to the bus service that will still remain the workhorse of the transit system, especially for the hundreds of thousands in the old city of Ottawa who are being left behind by the suburban transit plan.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvulpes View Post
Dwell times in the system are set at 20 seconds.
It takes 10 seconds for the doors to open and close.
Current plan is for the doors to be in manual mode, passengers will have to push the buttons to open the doors. Exception: operators will open all the doors in the 4 underground stations.
That makes sense - no climate concerns in the underground stations. Given that the Friday run got 20'55" with 15 second stops, that suggests 21'55" with 20 second stops.. Which matches the 23m scheduled time in the trip planner, given some time added for slightly longer dwells at major stops and the inevitable door holders.

Quote:
They are still assembling trains at MSF.
They said they would build a dozen phase 2 trains here before moving to Toronto.

Quote:
I'm fairly certain all the escalators in the system will be going up.
There are no redundant elevators at Cyrville, or at Pimisi west of Booth.
The elevators are fairly quick. People with luggage should not be a concern.
Those locations make sense.. For Cyrville there's an access on either side of the street to the concourse so someone who needs an elevator can simply cross the street if one is down. Same for that other Booth entrance.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
It's great to see us so close to the finish line on Line 1, Phase 1. Maybe once it opens, it'll remove OC Transpo's political cover for its indifference to the bus service that will still remain the workhorse of the transit system, especially for the hundreds of thousands in the old city of Ottawa who are being left behind by the suburban transit plan.
How optimistic of you

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
That makes sense - no climate concerns in the underground stations. Given that the Friday run got 20'55" with 15 second stops, that suggests 21'55" with 20 second stops.. Which matches the 23m scheduled time in the trip planner, given some time added for slightly longer dwells at major stops and the inevitable door holders.

They said they would build a dozen phase 2 trains here before moving to Toronto.

Those locations make sense.. For Cyrville there's an access on either side of the street to the concourse so someone who needs an elevator can simply cross the street if one is down. Same for that other Booth entrance.
UOttawa also doesn't seem to have a redundant elevator on the Westbound platform, I think because you could use the ramp into the pedestrian tunnel when that elevator is down.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
LRT information session for west-end commuters

Josh Pringle, Josh Pringle
Published Monday, August 26, 2019 4:29AM EDT
The City of Ottawa is inviting west-end residents to learn more about their trip to work and school on Light Rail Transit.

A public information session will be held at the Alexander Community Centre this evening to discuss the new bus routes and LRT.

O-Train Ambassadors and OC Transpo Planning Staff will be available to help commuters navigate the new multi-modal transit system. Residents can speak directly with staff to learn about how the routes and train changes will directly impact their daily commute.

Mayor Jim Watson announced on Friday the new Confederation Line will launch on Saturday, September 14.

The meeting begins at 7 p.m. at the Alexander Community Centre on Silver Street. The event is being hosted by Councillors Theresa Kavanagh, Riley Brockington and Keith Egli.
This project reminds me very much of The Ottawa Hospital's transition to the Epic EHR on June 1st. It was a huge project, 3-5 years in the making, with tens of thousands of end users and a ton of stakeholders. I was part of the role-out team for my department and, while we did our best to anticipate things, there were Hiccups. At least LRT will have buses running in parallel at first to absorb any potential disasters in the first couple of weeks. Here's hoping that these O-Train Ambassadors are more helpful than the brown-vested Epic support team who didn't seem to know anything about providing front line medical care.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 10:29 AM

Meanwhile in Kitchener, apparently they are stuck at a 10 minute frequency because their trains aren't reliable enough

TheRecord.com: Ion train defects delay higher-frequency LRT service in Waterloo, Kitchener.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story...loo-kitchener/

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
Meanwhile in Kitchener, apparently they are stuck at a 10 minute frequency because their trains aren't reliable enough

TheRecord.com: Ion train defects delay higher-frequency LRT service in Waterloo, Kitchener.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story...loo-kitchener/
This just proves that Ottawa was smarter in their choice of a fully grade-separated system and that at grade LRT is always a very bad idea.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtrainUser View Post
This just proves that Ottawa was smarter in their choice of a fully grade-separated system and that at grade LRT is always a very bad idea.
The Eglinton Crosstown Line in Toronto may face similar problem, since it will be only partly grade-separated.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I thought the gist of the article is that the trains themselves have reliability issues, which is very much a problem we likely have, not reliability as in due to traffic delays

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 2:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I thought the whole point of LRT is to combine the strengths of subways (reliability, speed and capacity) and streetcars ( low cost and accessibility that comes from running trains on the streets). If you're gonna build it fully grade-separated, even out in the suburbs, you might as well just build heavy rail.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat-Train View Post
I thought the whole point of LRT is to combine the strengths of subways (reliability, speed and capacity) and streetcars ( low cost and accessibility that comes from running trains on the streets). If you're gonna build it fully grade-separated, even out in the suburbs, you might as well just build heavy rail.
Hindsight is 20/20.

They still wanted to run the Confederation Line at-grade in some sections all the way up to the 2013 TMP.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat-Train View Post
Building a subway would cost at least 300 million per km in contrast line 1 cost much less than that even though its fully grade separated. People are already complaining about having to transfer to the train before it has started to operate then add in Ottawa has very bad drivers and that's why the city had to do what it did. so in the end I say that all the extensions should be all grade separated which I'm sure they will be.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 4:03 PM

People love to complain, and as sad as it is, this type of behaviour is what most often makes the news. Would be nice if the media instead focused on positive stories and positive feedback about the Confederation Line once it opens. I am quite sure that most of the transit users riding the C Line will have only praise once it is open to the public. Kind of like with the Rapibus, there was tons of media coverage focusing on the bad stories, how people's commutes will require more transfers, how the commutes will now take 25-50% longer, etc. Yet the sentiment among Rapibus users once the system opened was overwhelmingly positive, and still is to this day. But that kind of stuff is not news worthy. Quite shameful actually. This is why I am not a fan of mainstream media and always take what I read with a grain of salt.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
People love to complain, and as sad as it is, this type of behaviour is what most often makes the news. Would be nice if the media instead focused on positive stories and positive feedback about the Confederation Line once it opens. I am quite sure that most of the transit users riding the C Line will have only praise once it is open to the public. Kind of like with the Rapibus, there was tons of media coverage focusing on the bad stories, how people's commutes will require more transfers, how the commutes will now take 25-50% longer, etc. Yet the sentiment among Rapibus users once the system opened was overwhelmingly positive, and still is to this day. But that kind of stuff is not news worthy. Quite shameful actually. This is why I am not a fan of mainstream media and always take what I read with a grain of salt.
There's no profit in good news, humanity seems to have a built in need to gripe. Talk radio and most news networks wouldn't exist if people didn't love to complain

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 4:17 PM

In terms of redundant elevators:
  • Pimisi's single elevator at the west entrance (which I just learned about) might make sense if riders use the MUP elevator and go back up using the lower level elevator to the platform however, can anyone confirm that the Booth Street level elevator to the platform is not the same and the MUP level elevator to the platform? If it is, then there is no redundancy.
  • uOttawa, as mentioned, has the spiral ramp to the main level, at grade entrance.
  • Cyrville has one side with a single and a double accross the street however, I don't believe they have a cross-walk. They would need to, at a minimum, add those new corss-walk flashing lights.

Parliament has double sidewalk elevators to the concourse however, I don't believe that's enough redundancy for the busiest station on the system.

Any other single elevators on the system? I assume Blair original elevator up to the pedestrian walkway level Gloucester Centre side?

As I've said in the past, even though there are some work-arounds for stations with a lack of true redundancy, we have to remember that the vast majority of those who need to use elevators have reduced mobility: crutches, canes, walkers, wheel chairs and other. Although it seems easy for the average person, for those who need elevators the most, it's not as clear-cut.

EDIT: based on Shane's end-to-end video, I can confirm that the Booth level and MUP level have different elevators to the platform

Last edited by J.OT13; Aug 27, 2019 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post

Yes the complaints in gatineau were very bad which is why a number of Express routes were reinstated and that is why complaints went down. The overall bus system gets a positive rating from the people not just rapibus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation