HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
When this LRT thing happens - and we make it through the first winter without trains getting stuck - Manconi will get the respect that he deserves. (As will Uncle Jim.)
Given what he has done to the most transit-dependent people and communities in this city during his reign of error, yes, I sincerely hope Manconi gets every last microgram of respect that he deserves.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
^ Nice! Livens up what looked like a depressing cave before.
Too bad that the shelter for humans is yet another stupid greenhouse.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
I doubt the city wilk cover it as an exercise in itself, but I do see them selling the air rights and letting developers cover it over with yet more condos and apartments
They will spend millions on noise remediation in response to a few nattering nabobs of NIMBYism on the upper floors of buildings within two miles of Tunney's Pasture far more quickly and casually than they will spend one dime making it easier and more efficient to travel within the core by bus.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I think it's time to seriously consider covering the trench. Build a linear park that connects the north and south sides of the rail corridor, just like the Byron strip, as PHrenetic mentioned. The City could look at dipping into the Ward's park fund or consult with residents about a possible tax levy. They're doing in in Barrhaven to buy-out a golf course, why not have one for businesses and residents within 500-1000 meters from the trench. And yes, selling air-rights, at strategic locations at least, is another option.

Hopefully, this issue doesn't further delay the opening, however it can start a conversation. Covering an active rail line is not uncommon. Calgary's new central library and Vancouver's Expo Line between Portal Park and Waterfront stations are good examples.
How many more damn "linear parks" is there a market for in Ottawa?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat-Train View Post
People tend to be resistant to change. In a year from now, no one will say boo about loud train noises.
You will never hear the end of train noise complaints until the city covers the trench. These people have an idée fixe now, that trains are inherently noisy, that they are noisier than the technology they replace, and they will never let go of it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 4:05 AM

Quote:
On CTV News Friday, they were above the rail line with a decibel meter, with readings reaching above 90. I wish they would have gone further down the trench near Westboro Station to make a proper comparison of the "before and after".
Who needs control data when you have anecdotes and angry neighbours?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 5:16 AM

Why did you post 9 messages in a row instead of merging them into one?

Anyhow - I'm excited to hear what the mayor has to say on Friday. Hopefully we're getting a reliable system from RTG.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 11:50 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

From public washrooms to retail, your station-by-station guide for the LRT

Jon Willing & Jacob Hoytema, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: August 22, 2019

Tunney’s Pasture Station

Nearby neighbourhoods: Hintonburg, Mechanicsville, Champlain Park
Public washrooms: Yes
Destinations: Tunney’s Pasture federal complex, Wellington West restaurants and shops
Station lowdown: The station is the westernmost terminus for the Confederation Line until the Stage 2 expansion extends the railway. The station platform is in the rail trench below street level. It will be the main transfer station for west-end bus riders connecting to the LRT line. It’s one of the few stations that includes a small retail space.

Bayview Station

Location: Albert Street between Bayview Station Road and City Centre Avenue
Nearby neighbourhoods: Hintonburg, Mechanicsville, Centretown West
Destinations: Innovation Centre at Bayview Yards, City Centre complex, Tom Brown Arena, Little Italy
Station lowdown: It’s the only municipal rail junction on the O-Train network. The north-south Trillium Line platform is on the lower level, while the Confederation Line LRT platform is on the upper level. The station will serve a massive condo complex at 900 Albert St. and a LeBreton Flats redevelopment one day. The city has also identified land between the station and the Innovation Centre as a good place for affordable housing.

Pimisi Station

Nearby neighbourhoods: Centretown West
Public washrooms: No
Destinations: Canadian War Museum, National Holocaust Monument, Bluesfest, Chinatown, future super library on Albert Street
Station lowdown: When (or, maybe, if) LeBreton Flats is developed, the station will be the main transit access for the district. The station will serve the Zibi mixed-use development on the Ottawa River and the future main branch of the Ottawa Public Library. It will be one of the transfer points for federal employees who work at the Terrasses de la Chaudière complex in Gatineau.

Lyon Station

Nearby neighbourhoods: Downtown core, Centretown
Destinations: Library and Archives Canada, Supreme Court, Place de Ville buildings, Sparks Street
Station lowdown: Access points to the underground station are on each side of Lyon Street. The embedded Place de Ville access is on the north side of Queen Street. The station will be the main connection point for STO buses travelling between Gatineau and downtown Ottawa.

Parliament Station

Nearby neighbourhoods: Downtown core, parliamentary precinct, Centretown
Destinations: Parliament Buildings, Sparks Street, Bank of Canada, National War Memorial, National Arts Centre, World Exchange Plaza, Sun Life Financial Centre
Station lowdown: The underground station has embedded accesses in the Sun Life and Heritage Place buildings, with a third sidewalk access on the south side of Queen Street at O’Connor Street. The city predicts the station will be the busiest, since it services the parliamentary precinct and downtown offices and hotels.

Rideau Station

Nearby neighbourhoods: Downtown core, ByWard Market, Lowertown, Sandy Hill
Public washrooms: No, but the mall is nearby
Destinations: Rideau Centre, ByWard Market, Shaw Centre, Château Laurier, Major’s Hill Park, Ottawa Art Gallery, National Arts Centre, Government Conference Centre
Station lowdown: Access points to the station are in the Rideau Centre and on the north side of Rideau Street next to the rebuilt Scotiabank. With a platform 26.5 metres below the surface, the underground station is the deepest in the tunnel. This station also comes with a small retail space on the level above the platform.

uOttawa Station

Nearby neighbourhoods: Sandy Hill, the Golden Triangle, and uOttawa campus
Destinations: uOttawa main campus, Rideau Canal
Station lowdown: Access on station level or through an underground pedestrian tunnel. For cyclists, this station has connections to the campus, the nearby Colonel By pathway and the Corkstown Footbridge. And with the Rideau Canal on the other side of the road, you can imagine this will be a busy station for skaters and tourists come wintertime.

Lees Station

Nearby neighbourhoods: Old Ottawa East, Sandy Hill
Destinations: uOttawa Lees Campus, St. Paul’s University, Main Street, Rideau River Trail, Gee-Gees’ football field, several nearby parks near the river
Station lowdown: Riders access the station through entrances on Lees’ north sidewalk, then take the stairs to the station platform below street level. Between the Lees and uOttawa stops, it will be just a quick hop for students of that university to get between the school’s two campuses.

Hurdman Station

Location: On the southeast Transitway just off of Riverside Drive near Industrial Avenue
Nearby neighbourhoods: Riviera condos, Riverview north
Destinations: Rideau River Trail, Cancer Survivors Park, Ottawa Train Yards
Station lowdown: Hurdman’s main use will be as a transfer point between the Confederation Line and the southeast Transitway, with bus routes headed to Riverside, Billings Bridge, the airport and the General campus of The Ottawa Hospital. The station is on a raised platform to meet the track coming from a bridge over the Rideau River. There’s also a retail space on the bottom level.

Tremblay Station

Location: Right next to the VIA Rail station off Tremblay Road and the Vanier Parkway
Nearby neighbourhoods: Ottawa Train Yards, Eastway Gardens, Overbrook
Destinations: VIA Rail, Train Yards retail outlets, RCGT baseball stadium
Station lowdown: With its entrance right next to the VIA Rail station, Tremblay Station will provide an LRT link to intercity rail travel, which could come in handy if VIA’s market expansion plans for higher-frequency trains come to fruition.

St. Laurent Station

Location: Nestled between the St. Laurent Shopping Centre to the north and the 417 to the south
Nearby neighbourhoods: St. Laurent Boulevard, Overbrook
Public washrooms: No, but there are in the mall
Destinations: St. Laurent Centre
Station lowdown: The underground train platform grafts onto the already-existing two-level Transitway infrastructure, creating a three-level station that feeds directly into the popular east-end mall. A new underground walkway will give pedestrians quicker and safer access to the opposite side of the 417.

Cyrville Station

Nearby neighbourhoods: Cyrville, Cyrville industrial park
Destinations: Industrial park south of the 417, businesses along Cyrville Road
Station lowdown: The station platform is directly under Cyrville Road just north of the 417, and pedestrians and cyclists can access the station through sidewalk entrances on both sides of road. Developers have earmarked the lands just north of the station for new condo and retail buildings.

Blair Station

Location: Just south of Gloucester Shopping Centre on Blair Road’s west side
Nearby neighbourhoods: Nearby condos, Pineview, Cardinal Heights, Carson Grove
Destinations: Gloucester Shopping Centre, Pine View Golf Course, CSE, CSIS, Scotiabank Theatre Ottawa, La Cité
Station lowdown: Train riders can access the Confederation Line’s easternmost terminus for the next few years through the Gloucester Shopping Centre parking lot as well as a pedestrian overpass that reaches the other side of the 417 near Telesat Court. One new condo has popped up near the station with another on the way. It’s also a 10- or 15-minute walk from the station to CSE and CSIS headquarters, respectively.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...de-for-the-lrt

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 11:52 AM

a

Last edited by Corvulpes; Sep 4, 2019 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 1:52 PM

Yup, they only moved to 13 AM peak trains this week. In weeks prior, the PM peak runs generally performed well with 13 trains over a 3 hour period. PM peak headways are supposed to average 4 minutes, which they achieved increasingly more consistently as trials progressed. AM peak runs on the other hand struggled mightily. They were supposed to average <3.5 minute headways over a 2 hour period, but for whatever reason they really struggled with 15 trains on the tracks at once. That is why they decided to move to 13 trains and to relax the AM peak frequency requirements for trial running accordingly.

As Corvulpes mentioned, I think they'll continue to work towards achieving the original plan to run 15 trains during the AM rush period.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:00 PM

Thanks Corvulpes and Hybrid247. If they're able to maintain the same kind of service with fewer trains, then so be it. Hopefully they will be able to fix the issues so that we can have 15+ trains on the tracks at once eventually. I assume the problems were with the trains, not the Thales system?

I hope the City is honest about this during tomorrow's briefing.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks Corvulpes and Hybrid247. If they're able to maintain the same kind of service with fewer trains, then so be it. Hopefully they will be able to fix the issues so that we can have 15+ trains on the tracks at once eventually. I assume the problems were with the trains, not the Thales system?

I hope the City is honest about this during tomorrow's briefing.
We'll see. They're bringing in politicians for the big announcement, so I'm not sure how much technical detail they will share tomorrow...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 5:24 PM

So, they are fudging the successful completion of the 12 day trial by running with 13 trains instead of 15. Expect the trains to be more crowded than originally anticipated. We will see ...............

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
So, they are fudging the successful completion of the 12 day trial by running with 13 trains instead of 15. Expect the trains to be more crowded than originally anticipated. We will see ...............
If they're able to maintain the same service somehow, that's fine. If not, it sounds like they're moving the goal posts.

Maybe it is better to just launch what we have now and iron out the kinks as we go. Because there will be kinks, and beyond what is known now.

At lest we didn't accept the compromise proposed last year, with partial station openings (Rideau) and a much smaller fleet of trains.

The current bus service is at a breaking point and we need to move on.

I am a little worried about something I saw this morning; a west bound train parked at Cyrville, but beyond the platform (back-end at the front-end of the platform). I don't know how long it was there, but started driving forward again after a few seconds of us seeing it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 6:28 PM

Quote:
I am a little worried about something I saw this morning; a west bound train parked at Cyrville, but beyond the platform (back-end at the front-end of the platform). I don't know how long it was there, but started driving forward again after a few seconds of us seeing it.
I've seen this happen before both on the Confederation Line and in videos of other systems (like the TTC). Usually it's just a train advanced as much as it can without overrunning an occupied signal block/area.

One thing I saw yesterday that confused me was a Hurdman-bound train sounding its horn briefly as it was climbing to the curve towards Hurdman from the river and then slowing almost to a stop before continuing into the station like normal.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 6:33 PM

Quote:
If they're able to maintain the same service somehow, that's fine. If not, it sounds like they're moving the goal posts.
I assure you the trains aren't running any differently to make up for the missing 2 trains. The average headways have increased with the switch to 13 trains and, as a result, so have trial running 'expectations'.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
I've seen this happen before both on the Confederation Line and in videos of other systems (like the TTC). Usually it's just a train advanced as much as it can without overrunning an occupied signal block/area.

One thing I saw yesterday that confused me was a Hurdman-bound train sounding its horn briefly as it was climbing to the curve towards Hurdman from the river and then slowing almost to a stop before continuing into the station like normal.
Good Day.

A theory........ intrusion detection system alert, and post-alert resumption ?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 6:53 PM

Quote:

I've seen them do this before. And there were personnel on the platform observing. I'm sure it's some kind of test or emergency procedure.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 7:03 PM

So, if we are simply reducing frequency, which means the number of trains per hour, are we going to have enough capacity? It seems based on past calculations, we may reduce the number of trains per hour per direction by about 2.5, which reduces passenger per hour capacity by 1,500. Will we need to maintain parallel bus service longer than planned?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 8:26 PM

So how does the contracting work in this case? They were awarded a DBFOM to provide a capability that replaced the buses. Now they can't?

I fail to see why progress payments should be awarded if they don't meet the contract.

Also, I'm curious what guarantee there is that they'll be able to get the trains up to 15/hr in the future. Is is the actual vehicles that are unreliable or the tracks, signalling,etc?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation