HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 9:38 PM

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 1:26 AM
Meh

I was just on 79 tonight, it doesn't look like they've started yet. I also noticed that they haven't started yet on that 12-story hotel and mixed use project for Mays Street. In fact, the whole shopping center was still occupied.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 3:38 AM

Haven't heard about the 12 story hotel

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 3:41 AM
Meh

Well, I just went back and looked, it won't have 12 floors, but it will have 9 floors and easily the tallest building in Round Rock.

Details:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ght=Round+Rock

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 3:51 AM
Closed account

Isn't the Austin Marriott North, which is in Round Rock in the La Frontera development 8 or 9 floors?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 4:24 AM
Meh

^It's 8 floors I think. But it's only 105 feet tall. This new hotel would be more like 120 to 140 feet tall.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 4:33 AM
Closed account

Off-topic, but how many floors and how tall is that Embassy Suites in San Marcos? I'm just curious if there's any high-rise building (12+ floors) in the Austin metro outside of the city of Austin. I know that Barton Creek Resort has a rather tall hotel as well, and I believe that's outside the city. Any others? Maybe at Horseshoe Bay?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 4:39 AM
Closed account

Here's some pictures of Horseshoe Bay Resort on Lake LBJ. They don't look like high-rises, but the area's more heavily developed than most realize.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=365759&page=6

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 4:59 AM
Meh

Most skyscraper databases measure a highrise as being a building that either has at least 12 fully occupied floors or that is at least 115 feet tall.

The Embassy Suites in San Marcos is 135 feet tall with 9 floors. It's the tallest hotel in the metro outside of Austin. That's not the tallest building in San Marcos either, it's actually the 3rd tallest. The tallest building in San Marcos is the J.C. Kellum Admin Building at Texas State University which is 150 feet tall with 11 floors. It's an office building for the university. The 2nd tallest is Jackson Hall, which has 12 floors and is 140 feet tall. That one is a dormitory.

The Barton Creek Resort has 10 floors and is probably around 120 to 140 feet tall. Not sure exactly. It's hard to judge since there's nothing else nearby of similar height to measure it and the topography there makes it difficult to judge its scale. But I would guess it's around 140 feet or so.

I would imagine at least a few of those residential buildings in Horseshoe Bay are around 115 feet tall. As I remember, they have 8 floors. That Marriott hotel in the 2nd photo there is 8 floors I think. That one has to be around 120 feet I'm sure. Horseshoe Bay is in Burnet County (also partially within Llano County) though, so technically it's not in Austin's metro, although honestly it should be.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Anyone notice that the map from the ABJ is way incorrect?

This map (you have to zoom way in) has TX 80 labeled as 45SE, showing that 45 connects to I-35 in San Marcos. Further, it also lists 80 as 130 (which on the REAL 45SE, 130 is not a part of, just connects with).

Am I reading it correctly?

Although, I do wish 45SE did connect with 35 out of San Marcos to 130 which would give it more of a north-northeastward direction, instead of in Buda, forcing you to head SE before you can head north again on 130, wasting a few miles. But that's another topic...
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I was just on 79 tonight, it doesn't look like they've started yet. I also noticed that they haven't started yet on that 12-story hotel and mixed use project for Mays Street. In fact, the whole shopping center was still occupied.
The HEB is still vacant. When I managed a business in that center about 5 years ago, there was serious talk about remodeling the entire center which included expanding the HEB there. Since then, HEB decided to build an HEB Plus about 3 miles east on 79 and closed the store at 79 and Mays street. Since the center lost its major anchor and the center is not that attractive, the mix use project seemed ideal to replace it. Since it appears that won't happen anytime soon, plans are back on to renovate the center. I talked with some people who work at the Beall's and AutoZone there and they expect to be there for a while. Developers sub divided the old Walmart at Hester's Crossing and I35 into several different businesses and I expect the same for the vacated HEB and a major facelift for the entire center. We'll see.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 5:30 AM
Meh

Yeah, the map for sure is definitely wrong. I didn't pay much attention to it though, so I missed it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 6:08 AM
Closed account

ACC ready for next growth spurt

Quote:
ACC ready for next growth spurt
Junior college seeks to expand tax district and acquire land for campuses, centers to meet increasing demand.

By Ralph K.M. Haurwitz
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Published: 11:09 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 16, 2010

Austin Community College is poised for a dramatic expansion with more campuses, more students and a wider taxing district.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...rt-183009.html

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 6:31 AM
Closed account

Here's an ACC link with a lot of information and photos of the under construction Round Rock campus, which will be the largest and most ambitious of ACC's campuses.

http://www.austincc.edu/faoadmin/rrk_construction.php

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 7:14 AM
Closed account

Here's a map showing the location the the ACC Round Rock campus, and the other projects nearby.

http://www.austincc.edu/rrc/index.php

The A&M Health Science Center was recently completed, and the new School of Nursing at the RRHEC building is well underway.

http://www.tamhsc.edu/news/index.html?postID=2828

http://www.fss.txstate.edu/planning/...n/nursing.html

Needless to say, these projects, along with the new Seton Hospital have transformed this formerly rural NE portion of Round Rock.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 5:40 PM

Good to hear, I'm glad that at least one higher learning institution is growing. I wish UT would start a 2nd campus on the east side. This is one thing I don't understand, tuition prices continue to soar so it seems to me like with anything else demand is outreaching supply, seems like we need more supply then. ACC will cover a niche here but we also need more university space if we want to continue to be known as an educated city.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 9:28 PM
Closed account

UT has made a decision that ~50,000 students is as big as they should be.

As far as other institutions of higher learning in the area, all have been experiencing record enrollment year-after-year. Those would include Texas State University, St. Edward's University, Concordia University, Huston-Tillotson University, Southwestern University, as well as ACC.

With all that said, if Austin is to remain a highly educated city, than retention of college graduates, and migration into Austin by college graduates from other areas of the country is what is key.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 10:02 PM

I wonder how a new ACC campus in San Marcos will affect Texas State ?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 10:18 PM
Closed account

Positively. The two institutions have collaborated for years. Students who ordinarily go straight to the university will continue to do so. What it will offer is if San Marcos ISD joins the ACC taxing district they'll pay in-district tuition, which is much cheaper. Then someone in San Marcos can go to ACC for the first couple of years, and transfer those credits to Texas State to get their BA, BS, etc. And of course many may just go only to ACC for continuing education, which is good for the San Marcos workforce.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 3:39 AM

Yea, SM would be a good fit for ACC, are they considering doing that? If all of those schools are seeing record enrollment, how can we as a city keep up with the demand in the future?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin