HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 10:07 AM
arf

A couple of shots of the rebuild on Military and Flavin/Monkstown.

Grabbed them while wandering Georgestown. One of my favourite central neighbourhoods.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; Nov 2, 2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: should have read Military not Rennie's

Old Posted Nov 2, 2008, 6:30 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Nice photos, a bumper crop.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 6:05 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

St. John's Area Housing Starts Higher in October
Quote:
ST. JOHN'S, Nov. 10 /CNW/ - Urban housing starts were higher during the
month of October, according to preliminary data(1) released today by Canada
Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC). October's total housing starts were
57 per cent higher with 200 posted throughout the St. John's area compared to
127 last October. ...
"Solid economic and demographic fundamentals have boosted residential
construction activity within the local housing market so far this year and
much of October's increase in housing starts can be attributed to the
increasing number of people choosing new homes versus existing homes," said
Chris Janes, Senior Market Analyst with CMHC in Newfoundland and Labrador.
"People continue to move into the St. John's region from other places and that
has been creating demand for housing, so the new home market continues to
perform very well as a result,"
Article here:
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../10/c6258.html

Historic hotel changes hands
Fortis Properties picks up Fairmont

Quote:
ROB ANTLE
The Telegram

Newfoundland-based Fortis Properties Corp. is acquiring a landmark hotel in the capital city.
Fortis confirmed Tuesday it is buying the Fairmont Newfoundland. ...
The company already owns two other major hotels in St. John’s — the Holiday Inn, with 252 rooms, and the Delta, with 403. The Fairmont has roughly 300 rooms.
After the deal closes, Fortis will hold in its portfolio roughly half of the hotel rooms in the capital city.
Fortis Properties also owns hotels in Corner Brook and Grand Falls-Windsor, and a large portfolio of commercial properties in downtown St. John’s — including Fortis Tower, Cabot Place, Fort William Building, TD Place and the Fortis Building. ...
The original Newfoundland Hotel opened in downtown St. John’s in 1926.
A new hotel was built at the site of the original building in 1982.
In 1999, owner Canadian Pacific Hotels completed a deal with Fairmont to combine operations.
The venerable St. John’s hotel officially changed its name to the Fairmont Newfoundland in 2000.
Duke said it’s too early to say what Fortis will call the newly acquired property.
“Again, we’re not ready to release details of that just yet,” she said.
But she said Fortis would keep in mind the “landmark nature” of the hotel.
Fortis Properties owns 20 hotels across the country.
Article here:
http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=187008&sc=82

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 10:41 AM
arf

Calling the Fairmont a landmark is a bit of a stretch. Sure it's a famous brand and a rather large building, but I usually describe when showing friends around town as "the ugliest Fairmont on the face of the planet." It's kind of like a concrete bunker government building from 1976. I do sort of get the porthole round windows, but sheesh.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 5:52 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The Fairmont isn't tall enough to actually call it a landmark, but it is highly visible from the harbour area or Signal Hill. The architecture isn't anything special, though the shape helps a lot. It's just average early 80's, and similar to apartment buildings from the 1950's through 70's built all over the world (Nfld generally lags a bit behind in architectural style). I think the term 'Landmark' is referring more to the history (site of Fort William) of the original hotel (1925) which was wrongfully and disgracefully destroyed; a significant (described as art-deco) piece of heritage, torn down in 1982 to create a parking lot for the new hotel. Ironically they destroyed hotel space which would have now become a valuable asset in today's market. One thing I do like about the existing building is the colour, white, a nice contrast to all the dark brick which makes up most of the downtown. BTW the original plans called for one extra storey.

Here's a pic I took of the existing Fairmont. I imagine the name should now revert to "Hotel Newfoundland" like the original.

By the way, I wonder what is happening with the 4 or 5 new hotel proposals in SJ's. I haven't heard much about them since they were each proposed.

Last edited by Architype; Nov 16, 2008 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 6:29 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Interesting stuff -

The new Newfoundland
Quote:
Bruce Deachman, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Sunday, November 09, 2008
They're coming up the St. Lawrence as we speak -- ferryloads of rich Newfoundland tourists ("torists," they call themselves), the pockets of their heavy trousers bursting with offshore oil riches.

The boats will slow as they pass the mothballed auto plants -- as big as icebergs -- in Oshawa, allowing the Newfies to take photos to show their friends back home.

"Oh, dem Ontarians is right friendly, bye, but hard to unnerstan' a ting dere sayin,' " they would later tell their disbelieving kin back home. "But it shore was fun -- we'd trow quarters inta da lake dere and watch da natives in dere tree-piece suits dive fer em."
Rest of article here:
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...3-6a6ae6b997c5

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 11:03 PM
Resident of the Rock

that newspaper article is absolutely barbaric. you figure the mainlanders, especially ontario would gain a little respect for us, seeing as were the ones staying afloat for once. But nope, they have nothing better to do then subtly call us to the dirt in the form of a newspaper article. I hope Ontario stays in the hole and we keep prospering, then they can print anything they want while we rake in the dough. Joining canada was the biggest mistake we ever made, seeing that we cant even get respect from normal everyday people, let alone politicians. What a joke.

I also feel sorry for the writer of this article. He is clearly an uneducated, lowlife baboon. Too bad nobody knows who this clown is or im sure he'd have something unpleasent headed his way if he ever came around here.

Have fun rolling around in the dirt Ontario! well just be here swimming in our oil and counting money!

PS: i dont mean to offend everybody from the mainland, as i know there are many many good down to earth people up there, and i know they outnumber the bad by a large margin. This is just intended for the high headed idiots, like the guy who wrote the article.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 11:18 PM

^Never trust anyone west of Quebec I say!

Don't worry you have some respect (and lately some envy) from people in the Maritimes. Ontario just hates to see the small provinces rich.

If you ever get too much money you could always help us out...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 11:35 PM
Resident of the Rock

i wouldnt get too envious xD ...with the dropping price in oil we will probably be back in the hole pretty soon.

And yeah, i agree 100% with you. Its just astonishing what some people say about us, despite the situation they are in. Some people may not feel this way, but having some suit in ottawa make a pathetic attempt at making fun of our accent is greatly offensive. But oh well, guess we cant do much about it

cheers to the atlantic provinces!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 6:00 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^I didn't find that particular "joke" all that offensive myself. I've heard and read much worse, and felt it personally too. I think the guy is trying to make an ironic political/social statement of how much things can change. We are all affected, including Ontario and Nfld, or we will be, by the economic crises in some way (courtesy of Bush & Co.), and most of us who think straight don't want any part of our country to suffer. I thought the irony is to turn the Newfie joke upside down, though some might still find that offensive. If I thought it were a normal Newf joke I wouldn't bother posting it. In this case the joke is shared equally by both provinces, but really there is nothing funny about bad economies, poverty, racism, and unemployment etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese! View Post
i wouldnt get too envious xD ...with the dropping price in oil we will probably be back in the hole pretty soon.
Yes that could happen too, although I doubt it.

Last edited by Architype; Nov 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 5:56 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Paradise school site selected
Education Eastern board pays $1.1 million for land
ROB ANTLE
The Telegram

The Eastern School District has settled on the location for a new school planned for Paradise.

Last month, the board purchased an 8.3-acre property near the corner of Karwood Drive and Kenmount Road for more than $1.1 million, according to records filed at the provincial registry of deeds.

The property is in a former industrial area that is home to a new subdivision. Nearby roads include Hummingbird Street, Goldfinch Drive, Hollyberry Drive and Jonesberry Drive.

The Eastern School District bought the land from a Texas couple, Berry R. Grubbs and M. Elaine Grubbs. The Grubbs acquired 15.4 acres of land on Karwood Drive in 2005 for just over $537,000, according to provincial records.

Last year, the Department of Education announced plans to build two new schools in Paradise and renovate and expand another, Holy Family Elementary. . . .

The province indicated last year that the new school should be completed for the 2010 school year. That timeline remains in effect.

Meanwhile, school board officials said negotiations are still underway on the site of the second new Paradise school, in the Elizabeth Park area.
Article:
http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=190365&sc=79

This location is west of the TCH interchange on Kenmount Road. Paradise is the fastest growing municipality in Atlantic Canada, but is not yet served by public transit. In time, it will probably become the second largest municipality in the province.

According to the 2006 Statistics Canada Census:

Population: 12,584
% Change (2001-2006): 31.1
Dwellings: 4,734
Area (km².): 29.24
Density (persons per km².): 430.4

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 9:49 PM
arf

I thought the article was pretty lame.

Here's a photomosaic of Newfoundland and Labrador, well just the island, I haven't been to Labrador yet.

Click to get to a larger size.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 10:14 PM
Our Tide is Rising

^ Awesome!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 1:42 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^Great stuff HIMS. That's very inspirational.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 1:11 PM

Community within a community: Housing plan pitched for Pleasantville

A Crown corporation hopes to see a mix of houses, condos and apartments built on the site of a former U.S. military base in St. John's, on one of the prime undeveloped areas of the city.

Canada Lands Corp. is showcasing its plans for redeveloping Pleasantville and on Wednesday night will make a formal presentation on how it hopes the site — north of Quidi Vidi Lake, and within walking distance of downtown St. John's — can be transformed.

Project manager John Dalton said the idea behind the mixed development is to create a community within a community.

"If you get that mix, you get what you call aging in place, where someone can move in as a young couple. If they need a bigger place, they could buy a home [and] they could have children," Dalton said.

"Then, as they become empty-nesters, they could potentially move to an apartment or a condominium, and finally, at that stage of life which we're all heading, as you're getting to be … needing some assistance, we're even providing an opportunity of assisted living."

The U.S. military developed much of the land as Fort Pepperrell, which was built during the Second World War.

Years later, the site was turned over to the Canadian government, which used part of it as Canadian Forces Station St. John's and other parts as offices for government departments. The former Janeway children's hospital was built there in the 1960s, but was demolished earlier this year.

Canada Lands Corp.'s plan of divesting the lands, now considered surplus, will see about 960 residential units built, including single-family and multi-unit homes and hundreds of condominiums. The plan also includes two 10-storey towers that would be built along Logy Bay Road.

Housing advocates and social agencies have long called for a greater mix of housing in the central part of St. John's, particularly for affordable housing for low- and middle-income earners.

The plan will come under a lot of scrutiny from residents of neighbouring streets, including Alister Eaton, who lives on Ross Road.

"That's probably the best site left in metropolitan St. John's. I mean, I grew up here," said Eaton, adding that the Pleasantville site has had historic attachments, including a training site for the Royal Newfoundland Regiment in 1914.

"It's always been a sort of historic place and I think done properly it will be great."

The plan incorporates a $101-million upgrade planned for Canadian Forces Station St. John's, which is relocating to one corner of the land it currently occupies.

Canada Lands Corp. will make a formal presentation to area residents on Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the Royal Canadian Legion on The Boulevard.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...ille-plan.html

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 6:28 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^Thanks for posting that MrChills.

Quote:
Canada Lands Corp.'s plan of divesting the lands, now considered surplus, will see about 960 residential units built, including single-family and multi-unit homes and hundreds of condominiums. The plan also includes two 10-storey towers that would be built along Logy Bay Road.
It's good that it's not going to be all single family housing; I don't believe there should be any at all because there is no shortage of it in the city. However, better planning would put the higher density closer to the more desirable area near the lake, IMO.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 6:39 PM
arf

^It also seems odd that they would plan to put the higher density in an area that is probably going to have more nimbyism with more existing single-family home owners affected by the taller structures. Plan to fail would be my knee-jerk synopsis.

Too bad I'm busy tonight. It would be nice to go see the plans. Is anyone going to grab some information and maybe some photos? Mr. Chills? Canasian?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:18 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Here's a link to google maps of the area around Logy Bay Road:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&...,0.017188&z=16

I can't figure out what property there would be in this area on Logy Bay Road for large buildings.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:26 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Here is the public Open House Notice:

Quote:
PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE
Redevelopment Plan for CLC land holdings at Pleasantville

Canada Lands Company (CLC) invites the general
public to attend an Open House to view and discuss the
proposed redevelopment plan for approximately 65 acres
of the western portion of Pleasantville.
Two Public Open Houses will be held as follows:
1) Tuesday, November 18, 2008
10:00am – 8:00pm
and
2) Wednesday, November 19, 2008
10:00am – 9:00pm
Presentation at 7:00pm
Royal Canadian Legion, Pleasantville Branch, no. 56
The Boulevard, St. John’s NL
Questions and comments pertaining to the Open
House should be directed to Tract Consulting Inc.:
Neil Dawe, 738-2500 ext. 16
Edit: I noticed there was no mention in that article about any commercial development to serve the community. Even though the new Dominion supermarket is not far away, I think there is little else around. The idea for good planning in the 21st century is to create communities where people can live without dependance on private automobile transportation. That means increased density and having all or most major services and recreational/institutional ammenities accessible close by within walking distances.

Last edited by Architype; Nov 19, 2008 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 9:15 PM
arf

The only thing I can think is they mean close to Logy Bay, so maybe the structures off of Selfridge and CHarter, backing onto the golf course would be nice and with that height and elevation, only the first few floors would not get a view of the lake. Which might be a good use for some in-building commercial areas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's